IF you were Homeless and had only a $1000

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I don't like all the jokes about calling me a druggy and etc. I don't even know why I ask for advice. Everyone says get a job right. You guys don't see another lockdown happening or am I the only one that can clearly see it? The news is spreading around that new delta variant and I can already see/predict we're going on another lockdown. So as much as I want to get a job again. I'm afraid of covid 19 and that we might possibly go back on lockdown again. Stock Market (DOW)is already dropping, if it continues to drop. That's how you know things are gonna get bad.

Honestly I don't like all the jokes about calling me a druggy and etc. I don't even know why I ask for advice. Everyone says get a job right. You guys don't see another lockdown happening or am I the only one that can clearly see it? The news is spreading around that new delta variant and I can already see/predict we're going on another lockdown. So as much as I want to get a job again. I'm afraid of covid 19 and that we might possibly go back on lockdown again. Stock Market (DOW)is already dropping, if it continues to drop. That's how you know things are gonna get bad.
Even with the stupid and unnecessary "lockdowns" people still have to work for a living, except for government slackers and school teachers. Don't use this so-called pandemic as an excuse to not get a job. Even if there is some risk, man-up and deal with it.
I retired 7 years ago at 57, but my wife who is younger continued working until around last November. She worked out of state on a 3×3 schedule and had to fly to work. She got tired of all the government mandated BS involved in getting to work and retired. We both had the china flu and we survived, BFD.
The stock dropped, so what? A 500 point drop is nothing. I call a drop like this a buying opportunity. Even if the market dropped 10,000 points, no big deal. It would be just another good buying opportunity because the market will come back again. Besides, if you only have a thousand bucks your probably not investing in the stock market anyway.
You asked for advice, we're giving you advice. Take it or leave it. Your choice.

@UnPreppedHomeless which classification of Homeless do you fall into Temporary or Permanent? From your attitude, I can see permanent in your future.

I having lived in SoCal, and also see other classifications.

Homless encamped on public property, depriving taxpaying citizens use. I had to Evac my property because of a fire started in an encampment like this. Not a fan of them.

Homeless living in cars and campers on streets. Harassing people walking down the street, tossing garbage on the sidewalk, and in general ruining neighborhoods. This is how I dealt with this guy-air rifle shooting out his windows.
And when that didn‘t work- I saw him walking out of the grocery store, setting of the security alarm. He got hipchecked into carts long enough for security to grab him. While it took him 3 days to get released, I got parking enforcement to tow him.

And you wonder why you aren’t getting love here?

One question: What are you preparing for? What do you envision your life to look like in 10, 20, 30, 40 years? Some of those ideas need to be worked on now. Retirement income needs to be added to now.

When I was much younger, my idea of preparedness was to work hard. I was a teacher and on the side I tutored, taught GED classes, house sat, and whatever work and income opportunities came my way. I searched for a home that I could afford and paid it off. Having a home that is paid for is one way of preparing for retirement. You may be many years away from retirement, but it takes about 30 years to pay off a home for most people.

I never thought of it like that before, paying off a house is a way of prepping. I paid off the first house in 1982 and never looked back. Ceasing to pay a mortgage payment or rent is the first act of financial independence.

I don't see another lockdown coming, and if you were living in another state, you wouldn't see it, either. Just because something is a variant, does not mean it's worse. Our govt has decided it's job right now is to keep us in a state of fear so we behave like scared little citizens that will do whatever we're told. Americans are not like this, but it sounds like some Californians are. Covid has been the greatest excuse to: not get a job, not pay your rent, and to take more govt handouts. I call that slavery.
My husband and I had covid. So now we're golden. It was not fun, but really not the end of the world at all. Actually now I'm glad I got it over with.
I agree, too, that paying off your house and any other debt is prepping. There is still taxes and utilities to pay, but that will never end.

It's a bit ridiculous to use "what ifs" (be it government overreach, layoff concerns, etc.) as an excuse for choosing to remain stagnant in life.

Risk is the river that underscores our existence. It's not going away.
The choice is between floundering miserably where you are right now, or making an effort to build something out of your life.

The California conundrum...the average American can't afford to live there but it is a Mecca for the homeless.
I never thought of it like that before, paying off a house is a way of prepping.
Absolutely. Not long after I paid mine off using some inheritance money, I unexpectedly lost my job. I would not have been able to make the mortgage payments. Now I have none. There were a lot of other worthy things I could have done with that money, and there were "things" I wanted. Instead I chose to "PAY NOW, play later."
My biggest monthly expense is power in the summer, mainly because I have an ancient central air unit that is woefully inefficient. That changes TODAY. They are downstairs at this moment changing out EVERYTHING - furnace, compressor, condenser...the works. I'm able to afford to put in a new efficient system without borrowing a dime BECAUSE I paid off my mortgage when I did.

The California conundrum...the average American can't afford to live there but it is a Mecca for

Absolutely. Not long after I paid mine off using some inheritance money, I unexpectedly lost my job. I would not have been able to make the mortgage payments. Now I have none. There were a lot of other worthy things I could have done with that money, and there were "things" I wanted. Instead I chose to "PAY NOW, play later."
My biggest monthly expense is power in the summer, mainly because I have an ancient central air unit that is woefully inefficient. That changes TODAY. They are downstairs at this moment changing out EVERYTHING - furnace, compressor, condenser the works. I'm able to afford to put in a new efficient system BECAUSE I paid off my mortgage when I did.

Having paid off all other debt, we are putting additional payments toward the principle on our mortgage every month.

In my town (pop 500) not a single business shut down or school due the the china flu BS. No stupid mask requirement either. But 3 new businesses opened up; a new gun shop and 2 beer and sandwich shops opened. Our local sawmill has a permanent help wanted sign out, every building contractor is hiring, most ranchers are hiring and just about every other business in town is hiring. Every town that we pass through has help wanted signs everywhere. A lot of these businesses have signs posted offering a $1,000 sign on bonus. Why is anyone out of a job??

If your asking a serious question then first off you should get out of California. Head east, doesn't really matter where.

Buy a bus ticket to wherever it is you'd like to live. When you get there (or even before) find out where you can rent a room cheap until you have enough $ for your own place.

The next thing should be pretty obvious, get a job. Everywhere is hiring and paying ridiculous amounts right now. Wal-Mart has signs looking for stock people (the easiest and lowest paying job there) starting at $18/hr.

Seems to me right now it's easier for someone to get back on their feet than it ever has been.

UnPreppedHomeless,

Been there. Went from a $38/HR. degreed professional to nothing.

Don't waste your money "prepping." First thing I had to give up was my stores. Cost prohibitive to cart the stuff with me. Gave it all to a former coworker.

The only thing I had that was of any value was transportation and 4-5 pounds of silver. What I learned as I searched for a new region was not all silver is alike. Stay away from bullion, silver coins will get you cash, bullion will take a week or two.

Where to move to?

Near Tulsa, Oklahoma. Not too sure about Oklahoma City, but I hear some are trying there.

Okies are lazy, poor workers. An outsider who shows up everyday and works hard will stay employed.

Industrious conservative Californians are making it around here.

Good luck my friend.

UnPreppedHomeless,

Been there. Went from a $38/HR. degreed professional to nothing.

Don't waste your money "prepping." First thing I had to give up was my stores. Cost prohibitive to cart the stuff with me. Gave it all to a former coworker.

The only thing I had that was of any value was transportation and 4-5 pounds of silver. What I learned as I searched for a new region was not all silver is alike. Stay away from bullion, silver coins will get you cash, bullion will take a week or two.

Where to move to?

Near Tulsa, Oklahoma. Not too sure about Oklahoma City, but I hear some are trying there.

Okies are lazy, poor workers. An outsider who shows up everyday and works hard will stay employed.

Industrious conservative Californians are making it around here.

Good luck my friend.
Two corrections from my point of view. # 1, I've sold many 100 - 1,000 oz bars of silver and received cash on the spot. The dealer just does a simple test.
# 2, I have never met a true conservative Californian. They all think they are, but everyone of them will change whatever place they move to in to California. Just look at Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc.

"Seems to me right now it's easier for someone to get back on their feet than it ever has been."

No, it is much harder.

Homeless with no one, and nowhere to go with $1,000 will only buy the young man 2-3 weeks now days. Corporate HR departments take 2-3 weeks to do their thing. That is today's reality.

Cheap motels have jacked up their rates over the past year. By 50% or more. Not even an option for someone on unemployment anymore.

This time of year, a good $300 tent and a campground near a mid-sized city.

A car, truck or van is a must.

Been through this more times than I wish to count.

Twenty years ago, bought a 1990 Dodge Ram van with travel package. Best $2500 I spent. Was able to live in it when the only job available was Labor Ready. Showered every other day at a truck stop to stay clean. Back then, $6. Last I checked $12.

Once knew a 50 year old man who lived as a hobo, the Denver to San Antonio line for years. Even he gave that up. Getting much harder for the poor in this country.

"Doug" was a wealth of information on survival. If I ever need to go at it as a hobo, I know what to look for to find what I need. (That's for another post) We lived in adjoining rooms above a vacant store front next to a homeless shelter in the Dirty South. $350/month. Shared bathrooms, kitchen, and what not. Just don't forget to look under your car for alligators. LOL!

Latest posts

Back