If you had a 6000sqft Nuclear Bunker, what would you do with it?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunker Family

Reaction score
So I realize many people wouldn't want an underground nuclear bunker but this is a question for those who would. So if you had an underground bunker, what would you do with it? Preps, supplies, renovations, etc. What would be your first priorities? What kind of air system would you setup? Let's assume you also had 10 acres.

Yes, it is big, but food and water storage takes up a humongous amount of room, but really it's not that big if you are accounting for a family living in it, and maybe underground grow space and all the goods you would need to store. Water alone would take up a couple thousand square feet. 1000 square feet does not adequately store food storage, and medical storage takes up room, too.

I'd section part of it off for living area and the rest would be used for things like water storage, solar batteries, gardens, maybe an underground range, etc.

I've actually watched shows where people out in the Midwest have bought old abandoned bunkers and missle silos from the US government for like $1 and done exactly that with them.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have much luck finding one for sale in Central MA.

That much square footage, that much space for food ~ I assume you are not on any budget. Each doomsday scenario is different. If you worry about chemical attack or super volcanos, it might be cool to have an oxygen source and a CO2 scrubber so you can shut down the ventilation and determine the type of toxic gas /ash before choosing from your selection of sophisticated filtration systems. A centrifugal ash pre-filter with a water bubbler (pH and water temp depending on toxin) can cover a lot of stuff, even sarin gas at higher pH levels. That much food? You are thinking long-term. Cooking is among the many issues, may as well plan on burning hydrogen and a system to catch any condensate. If I am in the ballpark, I could certainly detail my fantasy bunker for you :) so much to cover lol!

Illini Warrior said:
I think this is either someone looking for some BS book writing fill or a zombieland beat off >>> unless you want this site turning into Reddit trash don't bother with it
I agree with Illini Warrior sounds like someone looking for book fill. Would like to own a bunker but not anything bought from the Gov. because then they know the exact location and nature of your setup not smart to make yourself a target for big brother aka the gun hating left Gov.

do you realize how big that is????
Yes, that is huge. Wonderful. I see our species reverting to the stone age. There is the possibility for us to provide pockets of civilization.. As if the library Alexandria had not been destroyed by foolish mobs. That outburst of religious fervor set us back over a thousand years. What we need to store for is not just food and water. We need books. We need teachers. We need scientists. We need engineers. And we need farmers. We need ranchers. We do not need people who don't just stick out there hand to you palm up and say "What will you give me?" There is the possibility that SHTF may become "The Great Clensing".

that is pretty good sized,

LETS ASUME NUCKLEAR ARMAGETTON

if you can afford to build it you can also afford to put in a well,,,, no need for water storage, you can do that with 10 x 10 ,,,100sf area you would have to have food storage and solar power to run it all and a blast proof dome with a removable roof ( solar is above ground therefore the blast proof dome), how about 10 pallets of top soil stashed in a corner and you are still under 2000 sf of under ground storage

for living space all I need is 1200sf but everyone's needs differ

Great thoughts. Thank you everyone for sharing.

I've been a member here for a few years, but I haven't posted since the site changed software so all of my past posts are now gone.

We actually bought an old 6000sqft AT&T underground Communication nuclear bunker last year to renovate it into our home and thought I'd check in and see what ideas other people might have and hear what they might do with it.

A few details about the space:
2 feet concrete walls
Copper Shielded (emp protection)
About 6000sqft
16.5ft Ceilings
escape hatch stairwell
2x 2000lbs blast doors
We have a 10000 gallon stainless water tank buried outside but temporarily disconnected it so we could have access to water while working on it and we weren't ready to figure out exactly how we are going to use it at first.

We had the original sewage ejector pump refurbished.
The original sump pump works.
I just fixed the original 100 gallon copper/silicone hot water tank (yay for having hot water on demand)
We plan on taking some of the 16.5 ft ceiling space and building a second floor for bedrooms/bathrooms.
We also plan on installing an ERV to keep a good flow of air without losing my inside temperature.
We also plan on insulating the entire thing. I've got some fun ideas for that. It's great in the summer but all the heat we put into it in the winter seems to get sucked out by the concrete walls. It's like a big heat sink.

Our biggest nemesis is moisture. We have dehumidifiers running all the time and I can't wait to get a whole house dehumidifier.

CO2 Scrubber is a good idea. I talked to my brother (who was an engineer on a submarine) about this and he says those kinds of systems are complicated and use a CO2 absorbent material. Not sure if you can buy those as a consumer. We saw a ted talk about certain house plants that create all the oxygen you need. I've also looked at algae as possible 'CO2 scrubbing'

It's a fun project and I love all the challenges a space like this presents.

Latest posts

Back