How would You Handle Covid outbreak?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 yrs in a mostly red area of NY, 3 years in Farm country of IL, 10 yrs in the Kommunist Republik where I am a total outcast.
Its humorous, I have been in this debate before and a liberal was saying the same thing as Articdude.
My idea = 3 weeks of hardship. How long has this been going on with half butted lockdowns, 15 months?

EasternerWesterner this is an ongoing debate around the world but I do get your point. While small local businesses were shut down or struggled in our area big box stores like Walmart and Lowes did bumper businesses because they were deemed "essential". I think that essential status should have been reevaluated.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 Epidemic Doubling Time in the United States Before and During Stay-at-Home Restrictions

Results
The epidemic doubling time in the United States was 2.68 days (95% confidence interval [CI], 2.30–3.24 days) before widespread mitigation efforts, increasing by 460% to 15 days (12.89–17.94 days) during the mitigation phase. Among states without stay-at-home orders, the median increase in doubling time was 60% (95% CI, 9.2–223.3), compared with 269% (95% CI, 277.0–394.0) for states with stay-at-home orders.
Conclusions
Statewide mitigation strategies were strongly associated with increased epidemic doubling time.

current data allow for an understanding of transmission on a population level by calculating the epidemic doubling time: the amount of time in which the cumulative incidence doubles [9, p 370]. The doubling time measures the rate at which the epidemic is growing, and an increase in doubling time indicates that transmission is decreasing.

Here is another viewpoint:

Are Lockdowns Necessary? What Data From 10 Countries Show

Are Lockdowns Necessary? What Data From 10 Countries Show

The evidence suggests that full lockdowns, such as those implemented in Italy and Norway, are not as effective as the more targeted approaches taken in other countries, such as in South Korea and Iceland.

In fact, as we discuss, those two countries have fared considerably better than the United States has in handling COVID-19 without shutting down their economies.

Another key finding is that Australia and New Zealand, two neighboring countries with similar climates, have had similar outcomes regarding COVID-19, even though they took very different approaches to dealing with the virus.

In particular, New Zealand virtually locked down the entire country in the spring, while Australia took a less restrictive approach.

Yet, both countries have contained the virus at similar levels.

Specifically, Australia had 13,595 COVID-19 cases (0.0534% of its population) and 139 deaths (0.000546% of its population), while New Zealand had 1,556 cases (0.0323% of its population) and 22 deaths (0.000457% of its population). However, New Zealand’s unemployment level is forecast to increase to 9.2% by December, while Australia’s is expected to increase to 7.6% over this same time period.

From a public health perspective, strict lockdowns can cause additional problems.

EasternerWesterner this is an ongoing debate around the world but I do get your point. While small local businesses were shut down or struggled in our area big box stores like Walmart and Lowes did bumper businesses because they were deemed "essential". I think that essential status should have been reevaluated.
Every business is "essential", every person is essential. It isn't the governments role to decide these things. People need to read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to see just what governments role is. Its very limited.
Problem is the people have allowed the government to become our lord and master over every aspect of our lives.

I like the all or nothing approach. If the virus warranted a national response, then go all the way. Shut it down completely. If it did not warrant a full and complete shutdown, then leave it up to the people to decide what measures they wanted to take to protect themselves. A half azz approach solves nothing and causes untold problems. The government treated the virus the same way they keep fighting wars, half azzed, and they get the same results. No solutions but a lot of people die. I do not believe this virus warranted a national shutdown. I also believe the people should have been given all the facts and then let them decide on the proper course of action for themselves.

I am in agreement with you tmttactical! A little honesty from the government to the people would have went a long way instead of relying on MSM for their drama. If a lockdown had been necessary then don't half azz it go for the gold. Then leave it up to the people to draw their own conclusions and react as they see fit.

My husband and I because of age and medical issues were considered at risk. We were absolutely fortunate that we are both retired, live very rurally and are preppers. We simply closed the gates planted our garden as usual and spent most of the pandemic gardening, preserving food, continuing with our preps and fishing. We did fine. Neither of us contracted the disease and we learned a great deal about where the holes were in our preps and were able to rotate out some of our long term preps and replace with fresher because we were eating out of it every day. We ended the year with a fuller pantry than we started. We doubled our seed storage. And we overhauled our dry storage of long term items such as rice and beans. We left the property to buy animal feed, curbside pickup of staples and medical appointments. We wore masks where they were required because we had to. We did without nothing, are still healthy and came out the other end with a little more knowledge than we went in.

I think we can look at this from two different stances.

1) The Hong Kong flu of 1968. The US did not lockdown. We went about our business as usual.

2) 2020 and COVID. Whole dang world lost its collective mind (except maybe Sweden).

What is the difference between now and then?

Is it prudent to take such a drastic measure as lockdowns back in the beginning when we did not know much about COVID (I would argue we still do not know much) and the possible mortality rate?
Or is it more practical to follow the 1968 example and adjust when people are dropping like flies (i.e. a much higher mortality rate then what we actually have)?

Then, there is the politicizing of the whole thing. Think back on various politicians words and actions, how they changed over time. Same goes for the experts.
And then there is the MSM. Trump and COVID were very good for their ratings. That cannot be factored out.

All I can say is I’m glad there are sane people in charge and they aren’t considering starting a war with China…. I do believe there were lots of mistakes during this pandemic. Hindsight is always easy to see things more clearly. I believe masks and vaccinations should be mandatory. At least the masks anywhere there are higher case numbers. With the millions of vaccines given now they are proven to be pretty safe and effective, reguardless of the far right stories about it. I think the shutdowns and stimulus payments were a total waste of time and resources. This virus is here to stay and likely it’s going to continue mutating and finding ways to kill more people. It sucks but it is what it is.

Well, I'm a democrat, and I would blame Trump for everything. If he opens it, up criticize him, if he shuts it down, criticize him, if we put covid infected in nursing homes, blame him, if I sold my ventilators three years ago blame him, if.. Wait, that's what happened?
Don’t forget the mean tweets that gave you a sad.

All I can say is I’m glad there are sane people in charge and they aren’t considering starting a war with China…. I do believe there were lots of mistakes during this pandemic. Hindsight is always easy to see things more clearly. I believe masks and vaccinations should be mandatory. At least the masks anywhere there are higher case numbers. With the millions of vaccines given now they are proven to be pretty safe and effective, reguardless of the far right stories about it. I think the shutdowns and stimulus payments were a total waste of time and resources. This virus is here to stay and likely it’s going to continue mutating and finding ways to kill more people. It sucks but it is what it is.

Make the vaccines mandatory? I bet you do. What an authoritarian lowlife view.

It’s ironic- when I floated this idea on FB a year ago, I was called a conservative facist. Here I am called a radical liberal.

What has been done the past 15 months hasn’t worked. I hope someone finally brings this to an end.

I think you logic is sound, if the mortality rate was 5% or greater across all age groups.
But we did not know what this thing would be like at the time. Rather than do the practical thing, they doubled down on what was not working, as you point out, and appears they are going to triple down on it.

All I can say is I’m glad there are sane people in charge

PY5ocKu.gif

Good one Brent, I needed a good laugh...

Make the vaccines mandatory? I bet you do. What an authoritarian lowlife view.
It still amazes me that so many people are willing to give up their rights and freedoms over something that isn't much worse than a cold. Once our freedoms are gone we'll never get them back! To me our freedoms are much more important than trying to "flatten" a stupid curve.

PY5ocKu.gif

Good one Brent, I needed a good laugh...
And do you really think starting a war with China is a good thing? All I am sure of is anyone that has actually been in a war will agree it is the very last option you should consider. I believe a war with China would put the world back into the Stone Age. I’m glad you’re not in the position to make these kinds of decisions

It still amazes me that so many people are willing to give up their rights and freedoms over something that isn't much worse than a cold. Once our freedoms are gone we'll never get them back! To me our freedoms are much more important than trying to "flatten" a stupid curve.
This thread was just a hypothetical ‘what would you do if I’m a position of power’ to stop covid. I don’t think lockdowns were or are a good idea. Right now at this moment the quickest way to make this thing go away or at least get it under control is to mask and vaccinate. There may be something else down the road but for now this is the most logical tangible thing that could be done.

Okay here go my thoughts.

1. At the beginning of the thing until we got a good grasp of what we were dealing with I would have closed all borders for a said period of time. Reason being at that time we were supposedly dealing with a milder strain before the variants and possible would have made a difference. I think that window has closed forever with a change in political party control favoring open borders. My fear being that future mutations may be much deadlier to some and harder to contain.

2. Lockdowns: I would have done a shorter maybe 2 week lockdown very early on but much sterner lockdown. I would have taken that time to shore up my medical response and get my bearings. After that I would only have considered short lockdowns in severe hotspots. My reasoning to try to preserve as much of the economy as I possibly could.

3. Instead of stimulus checks I would have put that money into treatment research and medical response.

4. I probably would have encouraged masks but not mandated them. I think when you mandate things people have a natural tendency to rebel. People just do not like to be treated like children or told what to do. I think I would have left it up to the individual business/ restaurant/ medical office etc. if they would require masks for the safety of their employees. Especially in very rural areas. An example is in my area while Nashville numbers were off the charts cases here on top of the mountain in very rural areas were extremely low.

5. Vaccines: I am not for mandating vaccines. What the vaccine issue has done is bring to the forefront how little mainstream America trusts big pharma, the medical world in general and it's own politicians and government. I think as long as the vaccine remains unapproved by the FDA and as long as drug companies are granted a pass from being held accountable for damages from the vaccine mandating it should not even be on the table. We force our children to take vaccines but allow certain loopholes such as religious objections to childhood vaccines and I think that mandating covid vaccines in the long run will not hold up in court and will be tested in the future in courtrooms.

6. On a personal note if I had that much power I would probably close down every main stream media outlet in America. Just saying. They annoy me.

And do you really think starting a war with China is a good thing? All I am sure of is anyone that has actually been in a war will agree it is the very last option you should consider. I believe a war with China would put the world back into the Stone Age. I’m glad you’re not in the position to make these kinds of decisions

When were we going to war with China?

Latest posts

Back