EMP

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An EMP attack is very unlikely to happen.. It takes a big nuke to make a big enough EMP to matter. All of our defenses are hardened against EMP, so who is going to slap a bear in the face and start a nuclear war by using an EMP? Nobody. No point in giving an enemy time to retaliate, and thats exactly what an EMP will do. Also, if ANYONE sets off a high altitude EMP, it is an attack on the whole planet because countries from all over the world will lose satellites in the attack, including the attacker, and now space is a huge debris field useless to everyone. Tell me how the new world looks without space communications. Maybe they will go back to dropping propaganda from planes because it won't come from dish network.

The aftermath will be one of mainstream media disconnect, a time when people will begin to think for themselves. What government wants that?
Many or non-believers , but I am a true believer in a very likely EMP attack we will see in the not so distant future . As for as that an EMP not mattering much - the United States government looked into the matter by the now disbanded EMP Commission . They made public that ONE EMP detonated over the state of Kansas would destroy the electrical grid over nearly the entirety of the United States . Also they said , it would likely take at least a year before part of the electrical grid could be functional again . I am not sure if it was the EMP Commission or some other government study that estimated in the aftermath of an EMP an estimated 90 % of the population would die even if nothing else was done but the EMP . --- That one year to recovery thing though is just a sugar coating as in reality it would be much longer . And guess who we are depending on to furnish us with new transformers " China " .

An estimated 90 % causality resulting from an EMP attack may seem high at first glance . Take into consideration There would be no hospitals , no doctor offices , no pharmacies , no stores including food stores , no fuel so transporting goods or traveling is curtailed , no cooking with electricity , , no heating or cooling of homes with electricity , no electric hot water heaters and most important no running water coming into homes . -- In short for the unprepared there would be no food or water as we know it today . --- Actually an EMP would be more " bang for the buck " over simply blowing a city into rubble as one EMP would decimate the population of many cities and basically entire countries with one blast .

An EMP attack is very unlikely to happen.. It takes a big nuke to make a big enough EMP to matter. All of our defenses are hardened against EMP, so who is going to slap a bear in the face and start a nuclear war by using an EMP? Nobody. No point in giving an enemy time to retaliate, and thats exactly what an EMP will do. Also, if ANYONE sets off a high altitude EMP, it is an attack on the whole planet because countries from all over the world will lose satellites in the attack, including the attacker, and now space is a huge debris field useless to everyone. Tell me how the new world looks without space communications. Maybe they will go back to dropping propaganda from planes because it won't come from dish network.
You only need a low yield nuclear bomb for a HEMP device.

I was told many years ago that in the event of an EMP or a solar storm, it will take 2 YEARS to replace every transformer in the UK power grid, this was from an electrical engineer who knew about these things, thats if spare parts could be found, very little is kept in spare parts these days, and guess who makes all the electronics and spare parts these days? yep...CHINA.
after sitting in the dark and cold for 2 years I dont think many of the UK population would survive.

I was told many years ago that in the event of an EMP or a solar storm, it will take 2 YEARS to replace every transformer in the UK power grid, this was from an electrical engineer who knew about these things, thats if spare parts could be found, very little is kept in spare parts these days, and guess who makes all the electronics and spare parts these days? yep...CHINA.
after sitting in the dark and cold for 2 years I dont think many of the UK population would survive.

US and most of the world is in the same boat re: spare parts and China being the lone supplier. Power in pockets could come back up sooner, but, I think it would have to be due to small scale local efforts rather than national.

An estimated 90 % causality resulting from an EMP attack may seem high at first glance . Take into consideration There would be no hospitals , no doctor offices , no pharmacies , no stores including food stores , no fuel so transporting goods or traveling is curtailed , no cooking with electricity , , no heating or cooling of homes with electricity , no electric hot water heaters and most important no running water coming into homes . -- In short for the unprepared there would be no food or water as we know it today . --- Actually an EMP would be more " bang for the buck " over simply blowing a city into rubble as one EMP would decimate the population of many cities and basically entire countries with one blast .

I too am of the mindset that given a choice between using a conventional nuclear weapon or another weapon such as an EMP or cyber, the latter is more likely than the former.

China has a huge investment in land and businesses here. They do not produce enough food to feed their population and would need fertile land to do that. Nuclear fallout, would be shooting themselves in the foot unnecessarily. They can accomplish their goals without a conventional nuclear war.

It is for this and other reasons, that an EMP/long term grid down, is top of my list for things to prepare for. Second is the USD going "poof" as far as being the world's go to currency.

long term/permanent grid down is top of my list, I can survive without power but not many over here can. especially as the govt is pushing for all electric homes.

Isn’t it far too coincidental that the governments are openly pushing and mandating electric everything? Of course they are all very aware how easy it will be to remove it from those they want to harm. Sick sick b@st@rds!

Last edited:
Only for the vast majority. Not for me.

Yes, there are ways to get around that...propane vehicles, wood gasification, fuel stores...independent electrical generation. But, it also makes you a big fat target. "Rumor has it". In a world void of social media and communication, rumors by word of mouth will spread like wildfire. When the time comes, I'd have to weigh the cost of making use of it, over the benefits. Witch hunts and vampires of old come to mind.

Last edited:
Humans are very inventive and resourceful, especially when in hard times. I would expect to see wood gasifiers being used in trucks!
It's highly likely the modern computers would not be able to regulate the engine using that fuel.

Because of CAFE standards, the intake and exhaust are monitored extensively, and the computer wouldn't be able to adjust to such a fuel. You really need an old-fashioned carburetor.

This is why they work on generators -- they have carburetors. Fuel injected and computer-controlled vehicles would misinterpret the exhaust gases. Also, wood gas is generally very dirty, so it's likely to clog injectors. The orifice on an injector can be as small as 0.010".

keep it simple, using old traditional methods, dont make anything too complicated or too laborious, thats my plan.
some preppers are still thinking they can live pretty much post SHTF the way they did before it, thats not correct, we will all have to adapt to the new circumstances and live differently to how most lived before, more traditional less space age.

Last edited:
It's highly likely the modern computers would not be able to regulate the engine using that fuel.

Because of CAFE standards, the intake and exhaust are monitored extensively, and the computer wouldn't be able to adjust to such a fuel. You really need an old-fashioned carburetor.

This is why they work on generators -- they have carburetors. Fuel injected and computer-controlled vehicles would misinterpret the exhaust gases. Also, wood gas is generally very dirty, so it's likely to clog injectors. The orifice on an injector can be as small as 0.010".

How about a 1982 army issue Diesel Blazer?

How about a 1982 army issue Diesel Blazer?
Hope it doesn't have the same engine that my father's diesel Oldsmobile had.
Crankshaft snapped in two as he was cruising down the highway. IIRC, they used the crankshaft and several other critical parts designed for gasoline powered engines to save costs.

Latest posts

Back