emp proof my electric gen

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny8250

Reaction score
hey new here just got a bluetti ac200max with solar panel my question is whats the best/cheapest way to protect from emp?? the panels are 37 x 24 and the gen is about 25x13 (the gen specs are an estimate the panals are that size) i have looked at mission darkness bags and for the 2 its about 960$ thats a lot!! is there any faradey fabric i can wrap them in that would be cheaper? i have them stored and dont use them as of now its for when sht hits the fan...any help will be greatly appreciated as i am new here and to electric gennys

Brushless synchronous generators are fairly bulletproof if you keep the dust blown out and don't over work them. There are no brushes, no regulator, and when the residual magetism is gone from storing it too long and it won't self-excite, just supply the capacitor with a little AC to get it started again. Stock a few replacement capacitors matching the one it uses and a new set of bearings and you'll have electricity for a very long time. I very much doubt that an EMP would hurt the internal diodes (the only solid-state parts) as they are well shielded and connected only to the rotor coils inside. It would take a nuke sitting right on top of you to kill those diodes. The diodes and windings should never be a problem if you don't overwork the generator. And if it isn't getting hot, the capacitor will live a long time too!

On this subject here you can get great information, convoluted information and useless information.
There are several threads on EMP. You can research the information your looking for or trust someone that's already done so. Decide what you want to protect.. I'd recommend protecting all those things while there in use. List what you want protected and I will recommend on how to protect it all.

A good place to start is

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECC0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2n7jLtJAUJtOJKHPMqWsTE

Because this has never happened, it’s all theory. No one really knows.
My thoughts were to use hardware cloth to encapsulate a 3x7 Gen shed into a faraday cage. If the Gen isn’t running. MNwr’s point of view would support this.
PP’s view (and I have actually talked to him on this) would be you need 1 one house side, one one AC side of gen, one on DC side of gen. He is correct that if a second EMP comes in you need it on your running Gen. But one flaw I found in the conversation, is the house side. The EMP protection is only good for 1 shot. You would need a second, third,…..for how ever many Attacks And be able to quickly replace.
Again, all unknown. No one has the definitive answer because we haven’t experienced it.
And hope we never will.

Because this has never happened, it’s all theory. No one really knows.
My thoughts were to use hardware cloth to encapsulate a 3x7 Gen shed into a faraday cage. If the Gen isn’t running. MNwr’s point of view would support this.
PP’s view (and I have actually talked to him on this) would be you need 1 one house side, one one AC side of gen, one on DC side of gen. He is correct that if a second EMP comes in you need it on your running Gen. But one flaw I found in the conversation, is the house side. The EMP protection is only good for 1 shot. You would need a second, third,…..for how ever many Attacks And be able to quickly replace.
Again, all unknown. No one has the definitive answer because we haven’t experienced it.
And hope we never will.

No flaw, it protects continually against multiple EMP hits. The only thing that it may only protect against once is a direct lightning hit.

Latest posts

Back