Vehicles & EMPs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Survivor_316

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Is this article still true?

I have mentioned before that I am in the market for a new to me truck. I wanted an older truck because I thought it would be the safest in an EMP. I'm trying to narrow down what would be best. I'm looking for as much information on what to consider before buying anything.

https://www.superprepper.com/will-cars-still-run-after-an-emp/

I think so, no other public tests have been done by the government. There have been non government testing and top secret testing. The best way to protect is a faraday cage or technology that grounds all excessive voltage faster than it can create damaging heat. Such as the EMP shield or other such devices.

If you can't protect your vehicle, the older the better with the simplest technology.

EMPs must be exploded in space to work. In the atmosphere the air absorbs the energy and is essentially converted into the weapon.

The Enola Gay was 12 miles away when the bomb detonated and since it was an atmospheric detonation, it created a super-heated blast wave more than an EMP effect.

Also, the equipment of 1945 would be far less sensitive to EMP than today's ultra-miniaturized devices. Some suggest that an EMP would've gone largely unnoticed in 1945.

After the EMP all stores , fuel stations and the ability to resupply fuel or stores will be gone likely for at least one year if the now disbanded United States EMP commission is correct in their warning . So going any distance is mute for most folks if they are not up for walking . -- However I could see wanting a useable vehicle to make a last desperate dash whether it was to rescue someone caught in the wrong place or trying to reach a bug out location , that is if they have the fuel on hand for such a trip . -- My tribe has workers that sometimes work thousands of miles from our survival retreat , so that is one several reasons that I bought a 1946 airplane that will even fly on regular car gasoline . All we need to do is be able to communicate to the stranded tribe members and I can send in an airplane to fly over the panicked and desperate people on the ground , land at most any airport , scoop them up and return them to our survival grounds . Actually I have two of our group about 2 thousand miles away as of right now . The bad thing is one of those is our piolet . --- As for as the communication thing for retrieving someone , I am in the process of setting up a ham radio base station . The radio is sitting by my computer on the desk right now but am going to need to do some more antenna adjustments . -- Well I need to get off here , grab my shovel , and get back to work , getting ready for the Nuking .

The only thing at my old V8 engine which could really go damaged is inside the distributor cap of the ignition. And this i do have as spare part in an metal box in the car.
The whole rest including the fuel pump are simply mechanic parts. Maybe the powerwindows and the radio dosn't work anymore - but i'm fine with this.
My motobycicles dosn't have any electronics and there are spare parts around.
I talked to an friend who owns a few old school hot rods lately about this topic and he's pretty sure the flatheads still will run after an EMP. My daily driver will be death, i'm sure about it.

And... Why it shall be an crime to drive old vehicles?

Because you wouldn't want to wreck one. I am not much of a car person, so they're just tools to me.
Understandable.
My daily cars was always between 15 and 30 years old, the other vehicles are 40 and older.
My actually daily driver is from 1997 and i count it as an "modern car" because it has airbags and fuel injection... Wouldn't be an big loss, bought it for 300.-- 2 years ago.

Understandable.
My daily cars was always between 15 and 30 years old, the other vehicles are 40 and older.
My actually daily driver is from 1997 and i count it as an "modern car" because it has airbags and fuel injection... Wouldn't be an big loss, bought it for 300.-- 2 years ago.
That's a good buy!
I figure they either do the job or they're not worth anything.

Latest posts

Back