EMP

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a 1982 army issue Diesel Blazer?
I can't say specifically. I thought diesels always used injectors. They can be easily clogged. Perhaps having a swapping-replacement set would be the way to go. One set is being cleaned while the other set is running.

Diesels also have a much higher compression ratio and I'm not sure if the relatively weak wood-gas packs the punch needed to run one.

I can't say specifically. I thought diesels always used injectors. They can be easily clogged. Perhaps having a swapping-replacement set would be the way to go. One set is being cleaned while the other set is running.

Diesels also have a much higher compression ratio and I'm not sure if the relatively weak wood-gas packs the punch needed to run one.
I know that some of the military vehicles like the Deuce can run on vegetable oil amongst other things...I just don't know enough about engines...that is more my son's thing and he doesn't know anything about wood gas.

Own Your Very Own Firewood-Powered Truck For $4,500​

It will still run on gasoline, too.​

1682528524596.png

The Chrysler Turbine cars could run on an assortment of different “fuels” – diesel, jet fuel, vegetable oil, and even tequila. It was an ambitious experiment in the early 1960s that looked at alternative fuel sources, but it was never as ambitious as this 1995 Dodge Dakota that’s listed for sale on Craigslist. It runs off not only gasoline, but also firewood thanks to a gasifier contraption in the truck bed.

The ad says the Dodge “runs great,” it has a “solid body,” it’s in “nice shape,” and it’s “very dependable.” The truck retains its carbureted V8 engine and automatic gearbox. The photos show a clean-looking truck, too. The red paint looks a tad faded, but that could easily be attributed to mediocre image quality. If there is any rust, we can’t see it, and we can’t spot any significant dings or dents either…”

Wood gas vehicles: firewood in the fuel tank​

During the Second World War, almost every motorised vehicle in continental Europe was converted to use firewood. Wood gas cars (also known as producer gas cars) are a not-so-elegant but surprisingly efficient and ecological alternative to their petrol (gasoline) cousins, whilst their range is comparable to that of electric cars. Rising fuel prices and global warming have caused renewed interest in this almost-forgotten technology: worldwide, dozens of handymen drive around in their home-made woodmobiles.

1682529062086.png

Wood gasification is a proces whereby organic material is converted into a combustible gas under the influence of heat - the process reaches a temperature of 1,400 °C (2,550 °F). The first use of wood gasification dates back to 1870s, when it was used as a forerunner of natural gas for street lighting and cooking.

In the 1920s, German engineer Georges Imbert developed a wood gas generator for mobile use. The gases were cleaned and dried and then fed into the vehicle's combustion engine, which barely needs to be adapted. The Imbert generator was mass produced from 1931 on. At the end of the 1930s, about 9,000 wood gas vehicles were in use, almost exclusively in Europe.

Second World War

The technology became commonplace in many European countries during the Second World War, as a consequence of the rationing of fossil fuels. In Germany alone, around 500,000 producer gas vehicles were in operation by the end of the war.

A network of some 3,000 "petrol stations" was set up, where drivers could stock up on firewood. Not only private cars but also trucks, buses, tractors, motorcycles, ships and trains were equipped with a wood gasification unit. Some tanks were driven on wood gas, too, but for military use the Germans preferred the production of liquid synthetic fuels (made out of wood or coal).

1682529223036.png

It is a K5 and has the detroit diesel 6.3 L V8....IDK what the olds used.
The Olds used 305 and 350 cid diesel engines which was really an nightmare. Over here there was a few of them around and the most ended with an same size gasoline engine.
The 6.3 diesel is and very good engine, if i'm not wrong this engine was used by the Hummer and light trucks too.

he doesn't know anything about wood gas.
It's primarily hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane as the energy components. Carbon monoxide is a slow burner and often ends up in the generator's exhaust.

The greatest single component is worthless: nitrogen. This typically represents about 50% of the gas emitted.

I have looked into nitrogen scrubbers and they do exist, but not convenient for small-scale operations. Further, the system I fiddled with incorporated 02 sensors (from a car exhaust, easily obtained) in order to monitor the fire's efficiency to regulate air intake and to monitor the output of the exhaust from the generator for other adjustments. Pain in the rear, plain and simple. Not trivial.

I used an Arduino to monitor both of these 02 levels as well as temperatures at various stages. The most effective scrubber was using vegetable oil as the filter. Done right, they're complex, bulky, and finicky. You really should own a tree farm to use this method. As in, cut and plant in rotations. It takes a bit of wood and it goes fast.

I dropped it after a lot of time (~1 year) spent on trying to get it to be reliable/practical. The myriad YouTube videos make it seem easy and simple. It isn't if you plan on keeping your generator for longer than a few months and run it more than occasionally.

Given the complexity of the internal combustion engine -- and the parts which should be kept on hand -- I went with steam instead. I bought an engine and built a boiler. I could make another engine in my shop (no spark plugs, wires, electronics, exotic metals, fancy engineering/tolerances, or parts which may be hard to obtain in SHTF scenarios). Ditto for the boiler.

Last edited:
It appears an well organized government agency has been busy wiping out information on the Nuclear EMP laden satellites hovering over our heads . A few years ago it wasn't hard to find and was even announced as factual by the now disbanded United States funded Electrical Magnetic Pulse Commission " / EMP Commission " . Do they think by wiping this information from the web that people's brain function is so low they will not be able to remember these warnings from a few years ago ? My recullation is China had several , Russia had several and even the Hermit country of North Korea had one or two that was put into space for them , courtesy of India . There is plenty of speculation on using balloons for a delivery system but the satellites already launched is strangely missing .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back