Using a microwave oven against an EMP as a shield

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the report by Medatech Corporation prepared for Oak Ridge National Laboratory:
The Early-Time (E1) High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) and Its Impact on the U.S. Power Grid
http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2019/ph241/rogers1/docs/meta-r-320.pdf
2.14 E1 HEMP Effects on Systems E1 HEMP peak field levels can be very high, and certainly there could be some devices within a system that have some vulnerability to such high levels. However, typically vulnerabilities involve the intermediate step of having voltages and currents generated on a conductor, and then that signal getting to the fragile device. The conductor might be deep within the system, such as wiring in the internal circuits, however a major concern is external cabling attached to the system, for two reasons. First, outside wiring can be very long, which tends to increase coupled signal levels, while internal wires are limited by the enclosure size. Secondly, the system enclosure and support structure, especially if metallic, attenuates electromagnetic fields and leads to lower coupling for internal wires. With a peak field of 50 kV/m, even a short “antenna” 10 cm (4 inches) long can mean a voltage of about 5000 volts, and it could be much higher for longer lines. Power lines, of course, can be very long. Other possible long lines include communication lines within a facility, such as network lines and phone lines. For power substations there are also the various sensing and activation lines used for the relaying process that maintains power reliability and tries to lessen harm to the power system from faults. With the advance of modern systems, and miniaturization of components, the normal operating voltages of systems tends to be a few volts, and so HEMP levels of thousands of volts or more cannot be good for the system. Also, the operating frequencies of systems, such as computers and various types of controllers, are such that an E1 HEMP pulse would cover many clock cycles. Thus the fact that E1 HEMP type pulses can have effects, as has been found in vulnerability tests, is not surprising.

I was referring to radiation.

Don't use kitchen appliances for faraday cages. Use faraday cages for faraday cages. Either buy one or make one. If you're willing to spend the money a microwave oven costs, then spend the money on a faraday cage/box/bag instead.

To make a good faraday cage that can block electromagnetic radiation from EMP's and CME's you need serious shielding. Microwaves aren't built for EMP's or CME's in mind. This is sufficient reason for not relying on a microwave oven.

You also need to ground the faraday cage. I can ask you, how are you going to make sure your microwave oven is grounded well enough?
Make or order a box made of copper or aluminum. Place wood, plastic or other non-conducive material inside along the surfaces (so the electronics aren't damaged by a surge). Make sure it's grounded properly. Also protect it from moist, water, mould etc. (for the electronics you're trying to protect). Use plenty of faraday tape around the lid.

I've seen videos where people make their own faraday cage using a cabinet padded with foil, and then some faraday tape. Most likely won't work!

Against the extreme radiation of EMP's/CME's, you need extreme shielding. Optimally, you need METERS of LEAD or SILVER to protect against an CME, and there would still be no guarantee it would be enough.

It's all about the wavelength. They have size. They do not flow like water.

To block household AC, a chain link fence is overkill. You can make a Faraday cage out of chain link fence to block wavelengths lower than 3MHz.

A vent will not allow waves to enter which are larger than the vent. If the vent is 1/8", the only thing getting in there has to be higher than 90GHz and the wave has to be axially-oriented to perfectly enter the hole.

Naturally, the cage must always be grounded. Using the earth ground provided by your home's wiring is more than adequate. It's not as if the current is going to even be close to the ground wire's capacity.

We built Faraday cages with every installation -- various fencing material was the common choice depending upon what needed to be blocked and cost, of course.

Last edited:
And how does it damage electronics?
The same way a generator makes electricity. And the same way a radio antenna collects radio waves.

The waves strike conductors and induce a current. In a generator, permanent magnets are the wave, and the wire is the conductor. For radio, the antenna is the conductor and the radio station transmits the wave.

The unfortunate side effect of this phenomenon is when a wave induces outside of the equipment's parameters. This can appear in a variety of ways.

One example is: an IC which runs at 5V can't tolerate voltage levels more than about 10% of that. But when a wave washes over a conductor it induces a current. When the wave stops, the current tries to continue flowing. This causes the voltage to skyrocket briefly. That spike will destroy an IC. (In electronics this is refered to as an "inductive kick". Special diodes are available to attenuate this. It's a common occurrence with mechanical relays. A 5V relay can have a inductive kick well over 50 volts.)

Also, induced current can damage ICs by activating portions of an IC and not others. Some ICs will destroy themselves when this occurs.

Last edited:
The same way a generator makes electricity. And the same way a radio antenna collects radio waves.

The waves strike conductors and induce a current. In a generator, permanent magnets are the wave, and the wire is the conductor. For radio, the antenna is the conductor and the radio station transmits the wave.

The unfortunate side effect of this phenomenon is when a wave induces outside of the equipment's parameters. This can appear in a variety of ways.

One example is: an IC which runs at 5V can't tolerate voltage levels more than about 10% of that. But when a wave washes over a conductor it induces a current. When the wave stops, the current tries to continue flowing. This causes the voltage to skyrocket briefly. That spike will destroy an IC. (In electronics this is refered to as an "inductive kick". Special diodes are available to attenuate this. It's a common occurrence with mechanical relays. A 5V relay can have a inductive kick well over 50 volts.)

Also, induced current can damage ICs by activating portions of an IC and not others. Some ICs will destroy themselves when this occurs.

I was referring to radiation. How does radiation damage electronics?

I already know how. I was asking Ammocap. Maybe he knows something I don't or he was mistaken on his statements.

No the glass ain't the only weak point.the top most likely has a vent,that equals weak point.the same applys to back. Side and bottom sides as well.the door it self opens up.the door frame/jam another weak point.
None of those things matter like you're thinking they do.

Also, each of those "openings" would have to be parallel to the wave along with the wave being small enough. Once all aspects of the microwave oven are considered, you'll easily see why microwaves cannot get out.

As I've said before, the glass in the door is the only possible egress for signals well above microwave. Covering the door with a piece of sheet metal tied to the oven's earth ground will suffice to eliminate the possibility of wave ingress through the glass.

I was referring to radiation. How does radiation damage electronics?

I already know how. I was asking Ammocap. Maybe he knows something I don't or he was mistaken on his statements.
What is the difference for you between a wave and radiation?

They are both waves of light.

PP, if you are asking about the RADIOACTIVE radiation from a nuclear explosion, they will not really affect anything that is not a physical living being, organic material or fluid. The radioactivity of a HEMP is so far away from the ground that it will very well not affect your electronics/electrical systems.
Although you must reflect the fact of the ionisation of the air as it comes into contact with certain forms of radiation and this could cause the reactions you are speaking of.
Please go thru several videos explaining this process in you-tube to get the exacts...Gary

Latest posts

Back