Creating A Bug-Out-Bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol probably to those who didnt think of cloth diapers.
*****ADDITION***
I didn't know what to call it since both are listed but:
liquor stores and cigarette shops often sell lighters that have LED lights on them, most are refuel-able too. my step father just gave me an empty one he found and thought it would be good for my kit, i agree!
I have a good wind proof lighter that works up to about 9,000 feet. However, no LED light. This lighter/light configuration could be quite handy.

my mother has M.S. and epilepsy with strokes, shes on several meds, i went with her to her pain management doctor and asked her doctor that very same question, she then, to my suprise, started talking prepper talk lol which in turn got my parents into it a little bit, her answer was, pills: at the beginning of the month when you have your perscription filled, drop 1 or 2 in a bottle, after a few months you'll have a few days supply, (to what? try n figure out what to do when their gone?) at least youll have that stock, liquid,(ie, insulin etc): usually at the end of the month, you can have your script filled bout a week before it runs out, use this opertunity to stock what you have left over
You can also level with the doctor and say: I am preparing for an emergency time when I might not be able to get to the pharmacy to get my medicines. What is the shelf life of my medicines and will you please give me a 3 or 6 month supply? As soon as that stash is acquired, rotate that so it always stays fresh. Most medicines will stay useable for at least the shelf life of that med. A pharmacy can tell you what the shelf life is if the dr. can't. Sealing meds in ziploc baggies can really be saved for a lot longer if you do this. Put your pills in the ziploc bag and fold it over itself when all the pills are in there. Seal all but a very small opening where you will suck out the air in the baggie before completing the zip.

alot of people wonder what they should put in a bug out bag. there are many different idems you can put in these bags. you might want to think of a few things while creating your own bug bag, like what climate your living, or plan to be living in, what kind of animals (if any) may be where you are, or going... etc...
i also suggest while picking idems, that you pick idems with duel purposes, this not only gives you a range of different idems from 1 idem, but cuts down on weight too!
here is a list of what i want in my bug bag (more of a wish list atm lol) and a brief reason why:
1. water, i suggest as many small bottles as i can fit, small bottles cuz they dont take up as much space in your pack.
2. tylenol-asprin-ibuprofin: you never know when you need them, take only 1 at a time due to limited resources.
3. a first aid emergency kit- build you own or buy a good one.
4. flint striker: some can use nothing to build a fire, but wouldnt you rather make it easy?
5. a survival knife: i will recomend a large fixed blade knife, me, im going with a crocodile dundee type bowie, sooo many uses!
6. flashlight: i prefer a self wind/solar with a radio and possably a charger outlet.
7. small keychain light: for personal, oops forgot the good one light.
8. a palm size container: to put stuff like caught bugs for fishing, used candle wax, tree sap glue, etc.
9. swiss army knife: buy a good one, dollar store knifes bend easy.
10. safty pins: these can be used for arm slings, a quick fix clothing etc.
11. water proof matches: easier than a flint n steel.
12. lighters: easy fire starter, and their cheap, and become other useful idems when taken apart.
13. iodine pads: they can not only be used for medical, but if you drop 1 in a quart of water it will clean microbs in half hour.
14. hand sewing needles: for stitching wounds, cloths, bend for extra fish hooks...etc.
15. 3 yards/meters dental floss: used for snare traps, stitching wounds, hygene, or even killing by throat.
16. anti-diarreah pills: when your low on water, dehydration from diarreah would not be good, besides the fact its the last thing you want when shtf! (rofl)
17. baking soda- its cheap toothpaste, and if you have chronic heartburn like myself its wonderful, put it in a ziplock to save space.
18. ziplock bags: store water, food, rain catchers etc.
19. mylar blankets: warmth, and can catch rain, be used as shelter etc.
20. trash bags: for carrying stuff, water catch, rain poncho, hobo sleeping bag etc.
21. ribbon-twine-shoestrings-rope: i prefer paracord to most, and there are many, many uses.
22. fishing kit: i prefer one with pre made hook lines, split shots, bobbers etc.
23. tube socks: ya i hate them but water filters, feet, storage for idems etc
24. shirts: regular t-shirts are good for arm slings, bandages, shirts etc.
25. small knife: for skinning, cooking, simple stuff that a bowies over kill but swiss just doesnt cut it, no pun intended.
26. magnifying glasses: start fires by sunlight, read maps, or amuse yourself n kill ants lol.
27. hygene products: tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, feminine products etc.
28. scissors: i prefer the heavy duty kitchen scissors, ive used them in mechanics and pruning my vegetation as well as all scissors are ment for.
29. strait razor: how many gillet fusion razors do you think you'll find when shtf, strait razors can be resharpened, and used as a weapon.
30. toilet paper: for... you know, and good fire starter.
31. canteens/water bag: i think this explains itself.
32. stainless steel cup/small pot: for cooking or boiling snow etc.
33. medical face masks n95 rated: there will be alot of death, death=disese, or pandemic, good water/coffiee filters.
34. small bottles of bleach: 3 drops per quart of water kills microbs in half hour.
35. plastic/rubber dish gloves: more durable than medical gloves, and good rain catchers too.
36. food: some will go with MREs, but you can put spam, 3 packs of ramen in a ziplock to save space, and peanut butter anything high calories and less weight, most say 3 days at least, but i say as much as you can!
37. guns n ammo: your choice!
also if you have a baby: pack extra formula, if that young, or/and something to smash your food to be baby edible and baby stuff: dipers, bottles, some toys etc.
small kids bring crayons and coloring books a few toys, something to keep them feeling somewhat normal!
oh ya....
38. bardering idems: im taking tobacco and papers mostly because i smoke, but theres other things like silver coins before 1964 that are 90% silver...etc
39. duct tape: probably one of the most usefull idems made!
i hope this helps, please add to it if you find other useful stuff!
This is a very good list. Thank you for compiling it . I personally have in my pack a hand can opener. I would hate to find a lot of cans and not be able to open them since I think the knife would do the job with a lot more effort. I am thinking of the old fashioned one that would double as a weapon since it has a pointed end on it. Mine is about 60 years old and still functioning.

yes, if you remember in ww1 or 2 they didnt have the p38s yet and had to open them with knives, or even shot them open!

42. a good hatchet or folding hand saw-
if you plan on heading to the forest like myself, these will be good for clearing branches and various other uses including using it as a weapon!

43. a small grill-
no not the whole bar-b-Que just the small grill you place your burgers on. i just came up on 1 that's about 1' 1/2 long X 1' wide. it fits perfectly in my military pack. ill find this useful when i kill something to eat, or even simply heating up water etc.

45. entertainment-
lets face it people when shtf, we probably wont have tv, video games etc. you might want to bring along something thats going to keep you/family entertained. this can be anything from a deck of cards to books etc.
me im a dungeons and dragons nerd and will probably bring my book and dice, i could have years of entrrtainment with those. and the bible.
keeping entertained will be a good modivational tool for your psyci come DD

You can also level with the doctor and say: I am preparing for an emergency time when I might not be able to get to the pharmacy to get my medicines. What is the shelf life of my medicines and will you please give me a 3 or 6 month supply? As soon as that stash is acquired, rotate that so it always stays fresh. Most medicines will stay useable for at least the shelf life of that med. A pharmacy can tell you what the shelf life is if the dr. can't. Sealing meds in ziploc baggies can really be saved for a lot longer if you do this. Put your pills in the ziploc bag and fold it over itself when all the pills are in there. Seal all but a very small opening where you will suck out the air in the baggie before completing the zip.
Good Idea! I like the zip lock idea too.
My pills come through the mail so they send them about 10 days early so I save the unused portion and lie you said I am rotating so as to keep a good supply on hand. so far i think i have about a month supply.

45. entertainment-
lets face it people when shtf, we probably wont have tv, video games etc. you might want to bring along something that's going to keep you/family entertained. this can be anything from a deck of cards to books etc.
me im a dungeons and dragons nerd and will probably bring my book and dice, i could have years of entertainment with those. and the bible.
keeping entertained will be a good motivational tool for your psyche come DD
Thank God for my solar panel system so i can charge the DS's ans psp's!
Although it will be nice to not have any video games for a while, and watch the kids go through withdrawals.

yes, if you remember in ww1 or 2 they didnt have the p38s yet and had to open them with knives, or even shot them open!
42. a good hatchet or folding hand saw-
if you plan on heading to the forest like myself, these will be good for clearing branches and various other uses including using it as a weapon!
The p38 can opener is such an outstanding invention! I used one for years. I must go out and find one.
Great advise for the hatchet and saw especially since carrying a chainsaw may be a bit much. plus the noise might give your location away.

lmao @ the kids post.
and ya gas for the chainsaw will probably suck getten it too lol
do you know why they call it a p38? it took 38 turns to get the can open.

lmao @ the kids post.
and ya gas for the chainsaw will probably suck getten it too lol
do you know why they call it a p38? it took 38 turns to get the can open.
Thirty eight turns to open a can is not what I would call an efficient tool My can opener is one that needs some practice for first time users, however that will certainly be a light tool to pack and it can be used to gut a fish too. I know people who can open cans quite well with a knife. I am sure that took them many practice turns, but maybe less than 38.

The p38 can opener is such an outstanding invention! I used one for years. I must go out and find one.
Great advise for the hatchet and saw especially since carrying a chainsaw may be a bit much. plus the noise might give your location away.
Besides it needs oil and gas which is special for that piece of equipment. I have a hand saw that might take me a while to cut something down of any decent size, but it is light weight and I am the energy source. With emergency situations, I think that a hand saw might be a better tool. Isn't it funny how when we revert back to years ago, those are the tools of greatest value now for prepping?

Thank God for my solar panel system so i can charge the DS's ans psp's!
Although it will be nice to not have any video games for a while, and watch the kids go through withdrawals.
I hate to say this, but if the SHTF your children will be going cold turkey with their devices. Why not practice one day without them and see how it will affect them? Then tell them next weekend the devices will be down all weekend? Hope they don't kill you! That is what I would be doing if my children were still at home. The children have no idea what the world they know will become when the grid goes down if a crisis occurs. By you doing that for your children, you just might be showing them more than you can imagine.

43. a small grill-
no not the whole bar-b-Que just the small grill you place your burgers on. i just came up on 1 that's about 1' 1/2 long X 1' wide. it fits perfectly in my military pack. ill find this useful when i kill something to eat, or even simply heating up water etc.
There is a folding grate for campers that is so light weight and versatile it would be perfect for the emergency of cooking out and then hauling it around too. Who says people all need to eat at the same time too? Why not a much smaller grill grate too. We are so conditioned to having everything we think we should, I am planning on down sizing rather than thinking of a replacement for all my toys and the things I like to have. Wait until you start packing that stuff for a couple of days! You might end up downsizing too. I am going in alone so I can tell myself now I won't be hauling lots. I would rather not go heavy on the hauling of items.

45. entertainment-
lets face it people when shtf, we probably wont have tv, video games etc. you might want to bring along something thats going to keep you/family entertained. this can be anything from a deck of cards to books etc.
me im a dungeons and dragons nerd and will probably bring my book and dice, i could have years of entrrtainment with those. and the bible.
keeping entertained will be a good modivational tool for your psyci come DD
People will be reverting back to simple entertainment. Some of those might be singing around the campfire. Telling stories, playing the games that don't take anything but people and I will expand on them next. Guess which profession a person is acting out. A person stands up and cannot talk, yet goes through some motions of what profession they want everyone to guess what he or she is acting out. Who ever guesses it is next to think of a profession or job. If your children are anything like mine used to be, no one will be wanting to carry anything in about 5 days. Better to think of the entertainment that requires nothing but participants. You will have a better time and all of those will be so new to them the children will be entertained and look forward to entertainment nights as a family when you are journeying in your emergency situation.

I hate to say this, but if the SHTF your children will be going cold turkey with their devices. Why not practice one day without them and see how it will affect them? Then tell them next weekend the devices will be down all weekend? Hope they don't kill you! That is what I would be doing if my children were still at home. The children have no idea what the world they know will become when the grid goes down if a crisis occurs. By you doing that for your children, you just might be showing them more than you can imagine.
I did that when i took my son camping a couple of weeks ago. He went 4 days with no t.v. and no video games of any kind. It was a little rough for him in the beginning. However, he did get used to it.

Latest posts

Back