Cheap compass vesus "military grade compass"?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a compass that is copy of the U.S Military folding compass . Iv used it to take readings and navigate . It works .
I also have a couple of the Soviet wrist compass . They are very sensitive to movement and accurate but do not use the degee measurement that Americans Use .

I will look at this Soviet Wrist Compass...seems interesting

Always have a good compass . . . but there are other ways.

Study basic astronomy, and learn about the significance of the Southern Cross.

Do not buy any horse shit about moss only growing on the north or south side of a tree stump. It flat out isn't true under most circumstances.

You can make your own compass by rubbing a steel needle on a magnet, or you can magnetize certian things by repeatedly hitting a needle with a hammer.

You can float the needle in a bowl of water with a cork, leaf, or even a piece of styrafoam. See link below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAVegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1Jpu8mISisNhUUY_cnDPow

Effective compasses have been made from clam shells, cocoanut shells, animal skulls, and even holes dug in the dirt.

In one example, an escaped prisoner utilized his own urine for floating a compass in his hat . . . and it was effective.

Between the stars, my map book, and a floating needle compass . . . I think I'm good.

If you bug out across the desert, bring lots of 6ft. × 6ft. (about 4 square meters) clear plastic sheets and some fishtank tubing. If you know how to build multiple solar stills (and do it correctly), you could survive in the Sahara or the Saudi Arabian Empty Quarter almost indefinitely. See below:
sola01.jpg

You must know how to properly ration water (and yes, men have died of thirst when they had water in their canteens from trying to "conserve"), you must know how far apart to place the stills, the best places to locate them, and so on.

If you can do these things, then you can survive as long as you want in almost any desert . . . excepting, of course, Antarctica.

In many respects, the desert is actually much healthier than the semi-tropical environment that I live in. Mosquitoes, biting flies, leeches, and so on are almost all dependant on standing water. Ticks are rare (but do occur) in the desert, and there is lots to eat if one can be . . . uhm . . . "open-minded" in your food preferences.

In any case, I hope I was able to help you.

P.S. (added much later after more thought) Make sure that you know the difference between true south and magnetic south. This could be a very discrepancy being that you are in South Africa, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject of direction finding, we can use little more than a vertical stick in the sun and 15 minutes of patience
. See below:
v4-760px-Determine-Direction-Using-the-Sun-Step-8.jpg
v4-760px-Determine-Direction-Using-the-Sun-Step-9.jpg

v4-760px-Determine-Direction-Using-the-Sun-Step-10.jpg

If you plant a stick this way and wait 15 minutes, you know where the 4 directions are.

Just remember to carefully research this before you do it, as I believe you live in South Africa, which is below the equator.

Just make sure that these directions don't need to be reversed, as you and I are in different hemispheres.

The best thing is to try it out on your own in a practice run.

as was mentioned,, any compass is better than none.. How far is your trekk?
Think about traveling at night, study a star chart, even with a compass you will be navigating "rough" anyway. Just keep moving in the general direction and adjust when you reach a major landmark or road intersection. The dark is your friend,, Good Luck

Latest posts

Back