Cheap compass vesus "military grade compass"?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZA Boer

Reaction score
I would be the first to admit. I am no expert. But based in South Africa. I feel I may very soon need a way to navigate based on a compass.

If you know a bit of South Africa you know it going from bad to worse and shows no sign of stopping. That said I need to look at getting a reliable compass. But, what are the benefits of a military grade compass over a cheap compass?

The issue is the "better" compass will cost me significantly more as it will likely need to be imported from the US or Europe since anything worth something is made not in our native country. So again is it worth it?

south-africa-civil-war-678x381.jpg.optimal.jpg

get a bug out bag and pack it with stuff you might need if you have to get out fast, just don't overload it so its too heavy, i'm not talking backpack here- which would draw attention- just a small maybe single strap over shoulder type bag which can be hidden under a jacket.

I have two backpacks....but issue 1. Both are low quality. IE Made in China so Buckles, stitching and materials are not in anyway close to Mystery Ranch or a USMC Gen 2 ILBE-Dont ask why I know about these two items/ brands as more then anything I want a legit Multicam backpack-again if you want anything Mil grade here be prepared to import it as a huge cost and mark up as it is a once off.

I was advised to get good boots and get a great bag. That said I was also told why do you need a 120 litre bag. Have a light bag. But I also was told a bug out bag may be not a survival bag. It will get you if you lucky from A to B but it will lack in contents a spare set of clothing, Tarp, 3 days worth of food and and and. So I am now wondering what is the ideal set up. Alot of the people prepping locally are spending ALOT in trailers and Caravans. Put everything in it and get the hell out of dodge. Financially this is not ideal for me. So we go back ideal bags and contents there of...Because at this rate I anticipate as SA gets worse and worse I may have to look at living in the bush for months because coming back into a city will be death. My profile pic is basically South Africa in a nut shell. Chaos behind but business as usual.

the trouble is in a city or large town in an emergency/catastrophe a back pack of any type but especially a military looking one is going to draw attention as someone with something others might want to "acquire", same goes for military type clothing, what is needed is a small bag that can be hidden under clothing.
what you don't want to do is draw attention to yourself. you want to be as inconspicuous as possible, think "grey man" concept.

I think Julius Malema has some very bad intentions for Afrikaans and Boers thats why so many are or have formed survival groups, most are armed and frequently practice bug out and nav ex drills, Many intend to bug out cross country to places like Namibia so Navigation skills are essential. There are well organised Boer / afrikaans survival groups that are mentions in the SA section at the bottom of the forum.

Back to the question at hand, I have what is referred as an engineer compass. Not nearly as rugged as a military compass but works good and folds up into a nice compact unit. Not the cheapest one out there but no where near the most expensive. I have used this for years installing satellite TV systems so I know it works. In my opinion, the biggest drawback is it is all plastic and with no padding so I don't expect it to handle a lot of rough handling. When I travel with it, I always pack it in with my clothes to add protection.

Just my 2cents worth (worth less and a penny these days).

I have a compass that is copy of the U.S Military folding compass . Iv used it to take readings and navigate . It works .
I also have a couple of the Soviet wrist compass . They are very sensitive to movement and accurate but do not use the degee measurement that Americans Use .

the trouble is in a city or large town in an emergency/catastrophe a back pack of any type but especially a military looking one is going to draw attention as someone with something others might want to "acquire", same goes for military type clothing, what is needed is a small bag that can be hidden under clothing.
what you don't want to do is draw attention to yourself. you want to be as inconspicuous as possible, think "grey man" concept.

You raise valid points...I should now look at a less overt set of items. It has crossed my mind a few weeks back to maybe get just a Tan bag then something in Camouflage. Also same as clothing. Thank-you for your input in this matter Sir

I think Julius Malema has some very bad intentions for Afrikaans and Boers thats why so many are or have formed survival groups, most are armed and frequently practice bug out and nav ex drills, Many intend to bug out cross country to places like Namibia so Navigation skills are essential. There are well organised Boer / afrikaans survival groups that are mentions in the SA section at the bottom of the forum.

With not saying much...people are meeting and getting ready to get the hell out of dodge and there are those who will fight. Many will refuse to leave and run overseas. An Afrikaner can be a determined Bastard if pushed too far. Many have accepted they will rather die then be run off. Think of a Texan rancher who owns a ranch being told now pack up your little circus leave or we will kill you. His land and who is, his very identity is because of that land. Its not as easy for him to just go. Besides where do we go? We not European anymore? We cant claim ancestral rights because we are seen as South African.

That said many-if you can call a minority many...but many support the US and President Trump. We see what is happening to you has happened to us. Remember it took SA 25 years to get to this stage. The Fact Bernie as known Communist is leading as a potential presidential candidate is a sign Marxism is a slow poison.

Back to the question at hand, I have what is referred as an engineer compass. Not nearly as rugged as a military compass but works good and folds up into a nice compact unit. Not the cheapest one out there but no where near the most expensive. I have used this for years installing satellite TV systems so I know it works. In my opinion, the biggest drawback is it is all plastic and with no padding so I don't expect it to handle a lot of rough handling. When I travel with it, I always pack it in with my clothes to add protection.

Just my 2cents worth (worth less and a penny these days).
Penny for your thoughts LOL. I did not know or have ever heard of an Engineering Compass. I will have a look what comes up on Google my side. Again thanks for your valuable information.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

First, if you do not know how to read a topographical map, then an expensive compass is not going to be of much benefit. A plain paper map will most likely work better. Next we do not know your physical condition, so we really can't offer the best advice regarding the best bug out bag for you. My bag would fit in my back pocket (70 yrs. and in poor health). Big Paul's bag could be the size of a small car. From just a general point of view, you have a few choices. 1) Grey Man and hunker down. 2) Evac now, before it hits the fan. 3) Pre-plan your exit route and then test it a couple times, so you know the way (compass becomes optional). 4) Locate and join a group of like minded folks. Best I can offer at this time.

With not saying much...people are meeting and getting ready to get the hell out of dodge and there are those who will fight. Many will refuse to leave and run overseas. An Afrikaner can be a determined Bastard if pushed too far. Many have accepted they will rather die then be run off. Think of a Texan rancher who owns a ranch being told now pack up your little circus leave or we will kill you. His land and who is, his very identity is because of that land. Its not as easy for him to just go. Besides where do we go? We not European anymore? We cant claim ancestral rights because we are seen as South African.

That said many-if you can call a minority many...but many support the US and President Trump. We see what is happening to you has happened to us. Remember it took SA 25 years to get to this stage. The Fact Bernie as known Communist is leading as a potential presidential candidate is a sign Marxism is a slow poison.

IIRC Russia and Argentina is offering free land to Afrikaans farmers , Its mentioned somewhere in the Africa section.

I don't use a compass much just to point me in the general direction, I use paper maps to get where i'm going.

I was told from a guy in the US who is a Vet. Get a topographic map of South Africa. But I am unsure where to get these. He said once you run out of power etc long term no more GPS or Google maps.

Hence why I need to get my "Land Navigation" issue solved. But a Map is key. Looking at getting a map book of my area. But have a national folding map. Not ideal though since its mostly of you traveling by car on a holiday Map.

IIRC Russia and Argentina is offering free land to Afrikaans farmers , Its mentioned somewhere in the Africa section.

And why should we have to leave? I get where you coming from but we will die here. Would you leave your country because some people dont like you based on your hue of skin colour or over stuff done 25 years ago by people who are now too old or dead anyway? My Forefathers didn't fight in World War 2 as allies or crossed on leaking boats to a unknown place they may never come back from only for me to say now This is too hard. I quit.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

“To every man upon this earth

Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods?

Ons vir Jou Suid Afrika!

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

First, if you do not know how to read a topographical map, then an expensive compass is not going to be of much benefit. A plain paper map will most likely work better. Next we do not know your physical condition, so we really can't offer the best advice regarding the best bug out bag for you. My bag would fit in my back pocket (70 yrs. and in poor health). Big Paul's bag could be the size of a small car. From just a general point of view, you have a few choices. 1) Grey Man and hunker down. 2) Evac now, before it hits the fan. 3) Pre-plan your exit route and then test it a couple times, so you know the way (compass becomes optional). 4) Locate and join a group of like minded folks. Best I can offer at this time.

We have a south African from Texas walking to the White House....That said many Americans have shown him tremendous support and many Americans support us. In spite of a checkered past. South Africa and the US were allies. We fought with you in WW2 and even in Korea and on your behalf in Angola-against Communism. Yes Russia and Cuba was in Africa.

I am healthy regards my health. Could be fitter but I have decent legs. I get told often by a colleague who likes to tease me LOL I have nice Calves. So I can walk.

I hear you on the map. I am am looking at getting a better map. We do have a set location to leave to and I know a few people in a group who are like minded. But I want to be self reliant. But all valid points raised and thank-you for the wise words.

Latest posts

Back