Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I got this from another site. I would get whatever you can now, that you will need for the next few years.

I am going to tell you now to stock up on things while it is cheap enough. Both meat and grain. Check and double check for a 3 year rough ride and this is based on the expectation of Fall rains to set us up for Spring. If we don't get that, the markets are going to be rocked.
He and fellow ranchers have sold off the yearlings trying to save feed for the cows so that they can breed. And they are not even sure if that is wise coming into Fall.
And there is no feed. A normal year yields 35 to 40 bushels an acre, the updated forecast for MT is 6 bushels an acre of poor quality grain. This is coming from the 4th largest wheat producer in the Nation. Canada is fairing worse, as is ND. Much of Europe is being flooded out. So, yeah. Increasing demand and poor performance is leading to something bad. My hackles are up on this one.
And it is not just wheat, the Farmers and Ranchers are getting seriously concerned. They tell me it is worse than '88 and they are approaching the nightmare of the great depression. The Government tells us it is worse weatherwise, so far, with tech, they have been hedging. This is no longer viable and people are writing the losses off. The Grasshopper kill has been the nail in what was a hard year. They have stopped spraying to kill them as it is not worth it. As it is it costs 20 bucks an acre to spray on a normal year. They cannot keep doing this.
I am not even sure I want to post this on the main forum yet. But, I love you all and want you to be aware. The press talks about it but, they down play it as not to induce panic, especially since some States are talking lockdowns again.

My goat feed has now jumped up to almost $13 for a 50lb bag. I use 1 bag every day and a half. That is pretty big . . . almost $2 a bag because corn prices have gone way up. Farmers see it first with feed prices but it will also effect the grocery store prices. Stock up while you can right now with all the basics. I haven't seen shortages here yet but wouldn't be surprised.

This has been a rough 2 years for us. Last year we had some major medical expenses. And this year have no grass to feed the cattle. On a normal year I turn the cattle out on May 1st when the grass is doing good and most snow is gone, and start feeding hay in October before the snow falls. This year we had a cold spring with zero rain so the grass barely grew. I had no choice but to turn the cows out anyway because our hay ran out. When the weather finally warmed for the grass to grow we still didn't get any rain. We had less than an inch of rain since April. This year I had to start feeding hay towards the end of June. I had to cancel my order of 100 ton of hay because of price increases, and only bought 10 ton instead. Which is almost out now.
I've been taking our cattle to the auction every week or so. The first load of cows and steers brought up to $1.25 per pound. The last load of registered bred cows brought 85 cents. We built up a nice quality herd of cattle here, and its tearing us up to see them go.
Im going to make some calls tomorrow and try to find someone that can take all the cattle in one trip.
On the "positive" side this will give me time to improve some pasture and clear about 80 acres of brush, rebuild some fence, enlarge the pond and maybe dam up some draws.
We're also going to meet with a realtor to get an idea of what we can sell this place for.
Its no consolation but many people have it far worse than we do.

Last edited:
Its no consolation but many people have it far worse than we do.

I had a medical diagnosis in February that changed my life. Of course I felt sorry for myself, but every morning on the local television there is a commercial for a childrens’ hospital. It shows many kids who have life threatening diseases. It really makes me think about how tough a break they’ve been dealt, so who am I to cry about my situation.

I got this from another site. I would get whatever you can now, that you will need for the next few years.

I am going to tell you now to stock up on things while it is cheap enough. Both meat and grain. Check and double check for a 3 year rough ride and this is based on the expectation of Fall rains to set us up for Spring. If we don't get that, the markets are going to be rocked.
He and fellow ranchers have sold off the yearlings trying to save feed for the cows so that they can breed. And they are not even sure if that is wise coming into Fall.
And there is no feed. A normal year yields 35 to 40 bushels an acre, the updated forecast for MT is 6 bushels an acre of poor quality grain. This is coming from the 4th largest wheat producer in the Nation. Canada is fairing worse, as is ND. Much of Europe is being flooded out. So, yeah. Increasing demand and poor performance is leading to something bad. My hackles are up on this one.
And it is not just wheat, the Farmers and Ranchers are getting seriously concerned. They tell me it is worse than '88 and they are approaching the nightmare of the great depression. The Government tells us it is worse weatherwise, so far, with tech, they have been hedging. This is no longer viable and people are writing the losses off. The Grasshopper kill has been the nail in what was a hard year. They have stopped spraying to kill them as it is not worth it. As it is it costs 20 bucks an acre to spray on a normal year. They cannot keep doing this.
I am not even sure I want to post this on the main forum yet. But, I love you all and want you to be aware. The press talks about it but, they down play it as not to induce panic, especially since some States are talking lockdowns again.

The riots, civil unrest and weird weather have screwed up much of the worlds rice cops in asia, wheat and barley in parts of Europe and winter fruit and veg from South Africa, South America and North africa.

there has always been "weird" weather, droughts and monsoons.
I remember not long ago watching a report on year long droughts in Australia and the animals dying because there was no water and nothing to eat.
the rioting in SA is politically motivated.
so is much of the unrest in Europe especially France at the moment.
good excuse to grow your own food and eat locally produced food.

I have felt that our whole system is so fragile for many years and not being a prepper is just dumb. I was just reading that the majority of all the products in our grocery stores are produced by four major companies. Any disruption in our supply chain and the public would go nuts within weeks. There has always been seasonal weather issues, civil unrest and economic turmoil but I agree it seems like things are more stacked against us now than ever before. For the few real preppers here it shouldn’t be much different than what we have always been doing. For the want to be preppers it should be motivation to get better prepared. Getting supplies and gear is the easy part though. Keeping them, and even keeping alive during the chaos of an economic crisis is the hard part.

For this very reason (the OP) we got two hogs this year.
I have them out on pasture, move them about every 3-4 days depending on the paddock, but still have to give them some feed for what minerals and vitamins they cannot get from pasture. And to make weight by late OCT early NOV.

Though the title for this thread is food shortages, I'm seeing an everything shortage. Our idiot governor announced a jet fuel shortage for the state, I'm seeing shortages in computers, some food items, things like cups at fast food joints, etc.
As was explained above, the JIT system is broken and this administration seems hell bent on keeping it broke.

For this very reason (the OP) we got two hogs this year.
I have them out on pasture, move them about every 3-4 days depending on the paddock, but still have to give them some feed for what minerals and vitamins they cannot get from pasture. And to make weight by late OCT early NOV.
I've got a few steers in the feedlot getting fattened up. One steer I traded for firewood and one is for us. Got one more steer ready for weaning but I'm selling him along with the rest of the herd. Not sure what we're going to do for beef next year. May have to shoot an elk.

I've got a few steers in the feedlot getting fattened up. One steer I traded for firewood and one is for us. Got one more steer ready for weaning but I'm selling him along with the rest of the herd. Not sure what we're going to do for beef next year. May have to shoot an elk.
I’ve never tried elk but would love to. Goofy sounding animals but look to have plenty of meat on them. How does it compare to beef (which is my favorite) taste wise?

Latest posts

Back