Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to have a big problem with feral and stray dogs at the BOL. Mostly feral but occasionally a stray. If they have a collar I would try to find out who the owner was and call him to come pick it up (with a little warning that our woods are a dangerous place)
But the last two I saw was about 15 years ago. No collars...so...

Nice looking pelt. A little different than ours. A lot of our coyotes are very pale in color and bring good prices.
I killed one coyote a number of years ago that had a beautiful thick coat of fur with a lot of white in it. It must have been a hybrid.
I should have kept that pelt.

Eastern Coyotes are usually larger than Western. I remember somebody got one that weighed 92lbs
I was turkey hunting near the PA border and I had one circle around the clearing, get on his haunches and then I realized it was going for my brand new decoy. Still have the decoy.

I want a livestock dog so badly but my husband doesn't agree. It would be hard for me to let them bond with the animals, though. I'd want to bring them inside!
Some people use donkeys for livestock protection. I guess they need to be raised from an early age with the cattle so they can bond. The wife had 4 mini donkeys and they never did get along with the cattle. It was kind of funny because the calves would chase the donkeys. I think they just wanted to play. The donkeys would run away.

Coyotes gotta make a living too. I think in populated areas coyotes could be more of a problem that out where we are. Also it's been proven that in populated areas dogs and house cats kill more game and birds than coyotes do. It's just that most people don't like to admit that their pets are out running game. Years ago a rancher asked me to trap some coyotes that were killing his calves. I told him it wasn't coyotes but dogs that were the culprit. He didn't belive me, until I caught several dogs including his and no coyotes. The calf killing stopped.

My dogs have their favorite kills. For one it was porcupines. Another armadillos. Others, rats...they are far from angels. I don't blame coyotes anymore for being what they are than I do my horses. My horses have killed two of my dogs the dogs were harassing them and so, they got stomped/kicked and had to be put down. Horses were just doing what they do and the dogs, well they were doing their version of chicken for entertainment. Yell at them all you want; instinct just takes over sometimes and they can't help themselves. That is the difference between animals and humans. We are supposed to be able to override our instincts.

You are right about populated areas being more of a problem. There was a case just recently up in Dallas where a coyote snatched a toddler playing on their front lawn. The house security camera caught it on video. The neighborhood was inadvertently feeding them (garbage cans, door dash food).

At BOL1 a couple of new year's eves ago, coyotes came within a few feet of our house and attacked my husbands car,
IMG_20221206_181156 - Copy.jpg
we think to get at some game that ran up under the hood. The car was parked 5' from the house, just outside my Ranch hand's bedroom. It wasn't dogs. We had seen several near the house in the days before and after. We started having an issue after they put a huge 5,000 house development in. It pushed them out of their habitat and into ours in large numbers; their natural game became scarce.

@EastenerWesterner had a point about balance. It is why we hunt deer. Too many and they die a cruel death of starvation and disease. Too few and they become extinct in the wild like the Red Wolf (caused by over hunting/erradication).

Out at BOL2, which is much more remote, a game warden estimated we had about 100 of them on and around us. They had been going after the neighbor's calves (confirmed because they set up cameras).

Generally, I am of the mindset of live and let live but, when they start eating my dogs instead of finding rabbits and feral hogs (we are coming out of a drought year where there might not be enough game to sustain the coyote population), get into the areas where my grandkids might be playing, and hunting in large packs, I'm going to take the numbers down to a more sustainable level.

When I bring the horses out there, I am getting a Jack Donkey!

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a video of a toddler getting snatched by a coyote in LA.
Today a mountain lion standing over a dog it snatched in the North Bay of SF.
Loss of habitat is probably the reason in these populated areas.
Every time the catch a lion in a city, guess where they release it? In the park next to me. Each year we have more sightings.
Another thing that hints to the balance being off. Rabbits. I know they are cycle driven. But haven’t had any around in 2 years

The democratically elected communist President of Peru, Pedro Castillo just dissolved the national Congress staging a coup d’etat to stay in power illegally. The lesson? Never, ever allow a communist or a fascist to gain power legitimately because they will never give it up.

Latest posts

Back