Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the auto start connected to our well pump generator today. Still have a little tweaking to do with it tomorrow. But for now its working great. Also got our heat pump wired to its own generator. Life is good now that we have water and AC on demand. It got up to 80 degs today so we really didn't need AC, but we used it anyway.
Picked up 500 pounds of protein blocks for the cattle. That'll help supplement the poor quality grass we have right now. We could get 5-6 months of grazing this year. That will be a nice paycheck this Fall.
A friend of ours is going to loan me a couple of his Honduran workers to help get our firewood in. Should go pretty fast. (Of course they are legal).

AC is alway nice to have. My back up is the ceiling fan in the bedroom is on the Gen.
We have ceiling fans in our bedroom and in the living room, usually thats all we need. Everything runs on solar except the heat pump. The heat pump draws 42 amps to start, too much for our system. I wired the heat pump to a 10kw generator.
So far this summer we've had 4 days over 90 degs.

In your climate, that what you need. This week alone I have had 4 days at 100+.
Cheaper to rewire transfer switch to ceiling fans than to run additional wire to the AC circuit For me. Bedroom has a door, I can survive.
I guess at our elevation the air is thinner and feels much hotter than 80 degs, in the sun. It always feels great in the shade though.

My house is kind of unique. Built in 70’s off grid. Went on Grid mid 90’s
Now have 200A service, but that is split 100A on each side of the house. Those boxes are all 70’s era Including the outside splitting box. Solar added in 2006 With no battery backup. Who knows when transfer switch fits in the timeline.
I just try to use what is existing infrastructure. Even an electrical engineer friend is a little lost with it. To be fair, in his state he wouldn’t have seen thi mess.
I would like to add a transfer switch to the deep well pump, but have a cord I can adapt in SHTF. My working electrician friends have spelled it out for me.

Went out this morning to check on the new battery bank. It was at 23 volts. The generator is supposed to start up at 24.4 volts. Something is wrong with the programming. I'll have to figure out whats wrong with it today. I'm sure that its something simple, but I'm kind of electronically challenged when it comes to these things.

1661366588722.png

Anyone got any tips to keep gas masks/pro masks from dry rotting rubber? Is there a cleaning wiper or anything?
Storing rubber masks in mylar bags with oxygen eater packets should work . . . just like it does with storing grains long term.

Just keep in mind that NBC masks have an expiration date. Also, keep in mind (in case you're storing such things for protection from chemical weapons, as this is a prepper website) that some of the older cartridges are actually dangerous, as many of them were manufactured with asbestos.

Yes, you may actually be breathing microscopic, concentrated asbestos particles with much of this old equipment.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFnoECAQQBA&usg=AOvVaw1t8lsnem2-t5iGh6yJR8Y7

Today we got our 250 gallon propane tank at the pump house traded out for a 500 gallon tank. This should last us through the winter now.
Did some twerks on the well pump generator this morning. We added a second pressure switch that will start the generator about 1 minute before the pump kicks on. And the second pressure switch keeps the generator running for about 5 minutes after the pump shuts off. Its nice now that we don't have to run down to the pump house to start the generator every time we need more than a few gallons of water. Life is getting better all the time.

We have ceiling fans in our bedroom and in the living room, usually thats all we need. Everything runs on solar except the heat pump. The heat pump draws 42 amps to start, too much for our system. I wired the heat pump to a 10kw generator.
So far this summer we've had 4 days over 90 degs.
I plan on installing a 25kw generator in the next couple months to run my whole house!!

I plan on installing a 25kw generator in the next couple months to run my whole house!!

That's going to be expensive. I have a 22kw running off of propane and it's to expensive to run anything but refrigerators. Fans and lights.

That's a huge generator. I run my whole house, shop and fur shed on solar with a 12kw Perkins as backup. We have 2 chest freezers, 2 refrigerator freezers, washer/dryer, etc. So far I've never had a reason to have more than 12kw.

That's a huge generator. I run my whole house, shop and fur shed on solar with a 12kw Perkins as backup. We have 2 chest freezers, 2 refrigerator freezers, washer/dryer, etc. So far I've never had a reason to have more than 12kw.
2 water heaters, 2 refrig, 2 freezers, 4 hvac units, elec stove, washer an dryer, and other elec appliances here!!

Latest posts

Back