Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but our mulch has chicken poo added in. The trees seem to like it.
Mr Bobcat got my chickens 4 yrs ago. That’s a year or so out for me to get that back running safely. I still gotta get water to the barn etc etc.
I bought a place that a Silicon Valley computer engineer ran into the ground. He lost 250k selling it to me.
I will get it right, but one step at a time.

I was just watching a video this week on ICanGrowFood.com where the guy doing the pruning/bush trimming just lays the clippings on the ground around his trees like a blanket and lets them just decompose in situe. It enriches the soil as they break down, cuts down on weeds, he doesn't have to haul it off and it helps holds in moisture in the summer. I plan to start doing that down at our cabin. He also rakes his leaves about 10" thick around fruit tree trunks, too. It's all goodness.

Yes that does make a difference. I can add in my goat fertilizer, but honestly miss having chickens now.
We only have 8 layers right now, more coming in July. I think we're down to 58 meat chickens, from 72. They couldn't handle the cold temps and the blowing snow over the last few weeks. The one thing about chickens is they poop a lot, and with the wood shavings we get a lot of mulch.
The flying carpenter ants are everywhere right now. The hens are eating their fill of them.

he'll talk the the white house will walk back anything he says, I just wonder why if they are going to walk back what he says why don't they get the ones that tries to get a message out just get up there and talk

Just watched an independent product review of a string trimmer and thinking that is what she needs.
Helena only weighs in at 96 lbs. at the moment and I am trying to get more weight on her. She is also working in the garden but burns more calories than she can eat...got a string trimmer yesterday too. It only weighs 3.4 kg, but am not sure if she can even hold it. I did the first trimming today and it was not as easy as I thought it would be for her.

Helena only weighs in at 96 lbs. at the moment and I am trying to get more weight on her. She is also working in the garden but burns more calories than she can eat...got a string trimmer yesterday too. It only weighs 3.4 kg, but am not sure if she can even hold it. I did the first trimming today and it was not as easy as I thought it would be for her.
The one I was looking at is on wheels. Keeping 2 acres trimmed around the buildings takes both of us. I just want it to be easier for her.
She ordered it this morning and got the battery self propelled one. Most of the battery powered stuff has less vibration, which is better for her hands.
The things we do for our ❤️.

The wife and I decided to cut our garden in half this year. With the price of fuel we can't afford to run the well pump generator for 10 hours 3 times a week. I heard that propane is $4 a gallon. Not sure if that's true but wouldn't doubt it. If the high price for fuel goes up to $10 like is predicted, and stays up, we probably won't have a garden next year. We're kind of boarder line now as whether we can afford to keep this place going, as far as food production goes.
Thanks Biden voters. YOU did this, and I hope that every one of you bastards rot in hell for what you've done.

Last edited:
The wife and I decided to cut our garden in half this year. With the price of fuel we can't afford to run the well pump generator for 10 hours 3 times a week. I heard that propane is $4 a gallon. Not sure if that's true but wouldn't doubt it. If the high price for fuel goes up to $10 like is predicted, and stays up, we probably won't have a garden next year. We're kind of boarder line now as whether we can afford to keep this place going, as far as food production goes.
Thanks Biden voters. YOU did this, and I hope that every one of you bastards rot in hell for what you've done.
I would research drip systems and misters. Much information out there, Israel has actually been on a forefront of it.
To me 10 hrs 3 times a week is overkill. And I live wher it starts to brown out in April. I have a small patch of grass 30 x 50, a flowerbed off to the side, and another 20x40. I can keep them up and going with a timer 20 minutes at night per zone every other day, 10 minute during the day so I can check the functionality. You may want to set the timers for your solar capacity.
I don’t mind watering things, I think I am repurifying my well water.

What about using the generator for a short duration and pumping the water into a storage tank or barrels and doing a drip system off that? I don't know the conditions there, but if it is really so dry that it takes that much water, what about adding wood chips to the surface under the plants to reduce evaporation?

I would research drip systems and misters. Much information out there, Israel has actually been on a forefront of it.
To me 10 hrs 3 times a week is overkill. And I live wher it starts to brown out in April. I have a small patch of grass 30 x 50, a flowerbed off to the side, and another 20x40. I can keep them up and going with a timer 20 minutes at night per zone every other day, 10 minute during the day so I can check the functionality. You may want to set the timers for your solar capacity.
I don’t mind watering things, I think I am repurifying my well water.
My well pump runs off a separate 12kw generator. The well pump is 5hp, 12gpm, and too much for our solar setup, plus its a 1/4 mile from the house. Since we're so far from the well I'm only able to use 2 sprinklers, 1 will cover 4 trees and the other will only cover 1 tree. Even with a 12 gpm pump we dont get much pressure up here.
Currently the well generator isn't setup for auto start yet. When it is, watering won't be such a problem. We can set it up with a timer and water several zones. Right now I have to run down and start the generator and turn the sprinklers on. That's why I water the orchard and garden over 3 days. Total area is about 10,000 square feet, plus another 2500 sqft in the small corral that I plant things in.
I think a drip system would be a good option when we get auto-start setup on the generator.
I've got a couple stock tanks set up above the garden that I could water part of the garden from.
Several good options to try out. I'm also looking at drilling a new well up by the house. Its just $$$.

Latest posts

Back