Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow is butcher day. We're going to butcher a steer for our daughter. Now I just need to go out find the steers and pick one out and move him in to the corral. On Friday I'm sending another load of cattle to the auction.
Don't you pen them up a couple months before butcher? Maybe feed them grain covered in good beer for a while? That's what we did. The pen kept them from exercising much and the grain and beer kept them plenty happy so they were not stressed. A good night hanging upside down wrapped in a blanket with ice packed in their body cavity to chill them meant their life had a tasty purpose. How do you do it?

I'm no career farmer, I just helped one for a good while... Not saying field to freezer is wrong, just curious.

Don't you pen them up a couple months before butcher? Maybe feed them grain covered in good beer for a while? That's what we did. The pen kept them from exercising much and the grain and beer kept them plenty happy so they were not stressed. A good night hanging upside down wrapped in a blanket with ice packed in their body cavity to chill them meant their life had a tasty purpose. How do you do it?

I'm no career farmer, I just helped one for a good while... Not saying field to freezer is wrong, just curious.
Normally I do grain them a few months prior to butchering. But my kids wanted a grass finished beef. They've been happy going with grass only before. I've got a couple more customers that want grass finished beef too. The steer that we're going to butcher for us in November will be going in to the feed lot soon. He'll be fed grass hay with corn, oats, barley and molasses.
This is a stressful time, for the cows, now that I've got the cattle separated. Some of the momma cow's can't find their babies so they just stand around bawling. I have a bunch in the corral that are going to the auction on Friday and they aren't happy about being locked up after being able to roam around for miles.

Been thinking more about water storage since the Texas blizzard. Had to melt snow to flush then. Looked at barrels, racks, pipe and pumps. Changed gears when wife said she wanted a pool. 18’ x 48” above ground comes with a low pressure pump but a 12v bilge pump may be better for shower and toilet filling. $377 for 6500 gallons of treated, mostly clean water storage is better than anything else I considered. Bought it a month ago and filled it up today

Normally I do grain them a few months prior to butchering. But my kids wanted a grass finished beef.
As long as they don't have to run around too much to get enough grass to eat, I much, much much prefer grass fed. I really don't like the taste of beef fat any more. Whenever we eat at a steak house I always order filet mignon for that reason. I am so accustomed to eating venison and filet mignon, the taste of beef fat ruins the flavor of the meat for me.

I sure HOPE you right, this country CANT go on like it is!!!! The nuts in washington have got to be delt with!!!

could be coming to a head on the TX/MX border >>> the Open Border contingent of the Biden forces is pushing for FED action against the Red States National Guard deployments - Biden just could be stupid enough to try using US military out of Ft Hood after his court attempts fail ....

that kind of absolute lunacy could break things wide open >>>

Last week I ordered 360 board feet of 1×12 resawn lumber to finish siding a building, cost $1300. Today I bought 60 gallons of gasoline at $4.14 per gallon. Hay and feed costs have gone way up. Butcher costs have gone up. Everything is going up! Thanks Biden voters. I really hope you're happy with putting more people out of business.

I bought gasoline to store for my generator (to run portable air conditioner). It is going to be well over 110 degrees F. this weekend. I have a Canadian Eskimo Dog, maybe you know the breed Arcticdude, and they are heat sensitive so I am very concerned about keeping him alive in a power failure.

Last week I ordered 360 board feet of 1×12 resawn lumber to finish siding a building, cost $1300. Today I bought 60 gallons of gasoline at $4.14 per gallon. Hay and feed costs have gone way up. Butcher costs have gone up. Everything is going up! Thanks Biden voters. I really hope you're happy with putting more people out of business.

haven't seen anything yet - watch when Biden gets the WARS started - multiple and plentiful around the world ....

Is anyone else experiencing rapidly depleted battery on their cell phone recently? Both my wife and I have noticed in the last week that our cell phones are losing a full charge in less than a day, when they would normally go three. To me, that means they are in use...

Is anyone else experiencing rapidly depleted battery on their cell phone recently? Both my wife and I have noticed in the last week that our cell phones are losing a full charge in less than a day, when they would normally go three. To me, that means they are in use...
try turning on airplane mode and see how long it lasts. When I look at the cellular band my phone uses with the spectrum analyzer, I see data being sent steadily. There is no reason for that.

Got a call from the Forest Service yesterday asking if they could use our pond in case of fire in this area. I guess there was a fire close by that they would have liked to use our pond to dip water out of, but since they didn't have permission they couldn't use it. I told them of course they can use it in an emergency. They even offered to replace the water when they're done. We have the only large body of water in the area. I asked if they'd send one of their engineers up here to assess the feasibility of enlarging our current pond and possibly adding a few more ponds. There's a chance that they could offer a cost sharing deal, or pay for the project.

Latest posts

Back