Must Read Survival in The Worst of Times

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Begovic was in Sarajevo I believe. Gary, your experiences are so valuable there isn’t a price high enough. Reading some of this guys darkest times kept me up last night. I won’t put them on here. Just too much to absorb and I sincerely doubt they would help anyone in the end. Now, what he relays from lessons he learned, much like your book, is a must read in my humble opinion.

Reading some of this guys darkest times kept me up last night. I won’t put them on here.
You MAY BE RIGHT...but, as I have said before: you must KNOW YOUR ENEMY.
Even the worst things should be shared here.
One thing we saw and watched in Sarajevo, as there was nothing left to eat, the bravest went out on the streets and collected dandelions, nettles and such for soups...under threats of being shot by snipers. Especially children were wounded so the rescuers would come to help and as the ambulance and helpers were there---they would drop mortar rounds onto the same playground and kill/injure the rescuers and families.
One of the men I trained brought his dead brother back from a firefight. I asked how he had died.
His brother had felt sorry for an enemy who had fell into a deep well and could not get out alone. Despite many warnings to let the man die there, the younger brother reached a hand down into the well to help the man out---
and got shot in the face for his action. My soldier dropped a grenade into the well and finished the murderer off.
Know your enemy and do not trust them to do absolutely anything.

Wise words. Tough to accept, but I am determined to learn from those who have experienced the worst of mankind! Too many die from learning it personally.

Okay, I will share one item of advice from Selco that I was having a hard time accepting.

The violence was shocking.

Quite often guys would use human shields to get to the house. A lot of people got killed because they thought it was not OK to kill some poor prisoner in order to defend the house.

Imagine that three bad guys come towards you, and they push two older women in front of them. Terrible situations. After some time, most people shot at anything that looked suspicious…no matter what.”

I don't trust the neighbors I have now. In my rural area, there will be nice homes (like mine) with 50 year old mobile homes next door. Only a fool would think they wouldn't shoot us to move out of theirs and into mine. Not only do I have no problem shooting anyone deemed a threat, I have no problem acting proactively when we are WROL. I am pretty sure I will be taken out by one of these a holes eventually, but I am going down fighting.

Horrible times are ahead. NO DOUBT.

We all will have to make exactly these types of decisions as the SHTF sooner than wished.
We all MUST make these decisions NOW.
REASONING: as I said before, the second you need to decide if, who, when, why, how many times, etc.etc.
IS THE SECOND they will use to shoot first.
Unfortunately, your decision will be grave no matter if it was right or wrong.
Your decision is and must be already made to fire as felt and needed---INSTINCTIVELY and AS TRAINED TO DO.
Unfortunately, also without thought, just instinctively. Your training is decisively FASTER than your thinking when you are only calculating the speed of reaction to a situation.
Example: if you touch a hot object, the reaction comes extremely fast--and the thought "ouch-hot" comes later.
If you train to fire quickly and accurately--it will come faster and the thought of survival will come afterwards.
WROL is the situation, unknown person is the target, his/her actions are the trigger and your shot is the reaction.
"this" is what will keep you alive and your family fed.
Every other thought, however nice and kind may very well get many innocents killed.
Sorry for the truth that makes you uncomfortable, but the LIES that make you comfortable are worse...

I don't trust the neighbors I have now. In my rural area, there will be nice homes (like mine) with 50 year old mobile homes next door. Only a fool would think they wouldn't shoot us to move out of theirs and into mine. Not only do I have no problem shooting anyone deemed a threat, I have no problem acting proactively when we are WROL. I am pretty sure I will be taken out by one of these a holes eventually, but I am going down fighting.

Make plans now for a backup location. There are options. Look for sparsely populated areas. In those areas check for AirBNBs. Check them out via tax assessors records and find a few that are owned by 1) a company or group. 2) owned by someone who lives far away. Check them out overhead via Google to make sure you don’t see something negative close by. Then go drive by them to find out which one/s are safest.

Safest Criteria

1) Not on a busy main road or Interstate
2) Not closer than 2 miles from those type of highways
3) Not closer than 30 miles from a town with 50,000 or more
4) Not closer to a city than 1 hour drive

Private B&Bs in the country who offer fresh eggs and homegrown veggies is another option to check out.

Jonathan Hollerman’s Survival Theory books have this information in them. I did not think of these. He offers ideas for folks who can’t or don’t want to put money into a BOL far away from cities.

Last edited:
These Millenials, Gen Z, and even Gen Y are in trouble. There will be no safe spaces, and nobody will care their pronouns. Sometimes I wish I lived closer, so I could capture their liberal tears. Would be the best drink I have ever tasted.
Hey, now, sir! I am a millennial. 😜

(But only barely.)

Here is some good advice and insight for those of us on the east side of the Mississippi!!

1699541262624.png

While we don't have wide open spaces like in the West, I consider that a GOOD thing because it's hard to hide out in the open.
Cover is your friend! And there is LOT'S of it east of the Mississippi.
Now granted, it's hard to find a spot around the Great Lakes (New York, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin) or on the Eastern Seaboard from North Carolina up to New Hampshire that is not within spitting distance of somebody's house. And even if you do, you won't be able to afford it unless you win the MegaMillions lottery. But south and west of those areas all the way to the Gulf of Mexico there are plenty of places.

You can always find pockets.

In NY within 40 miles of the PA border, cheap land wooded but not very fertile. Lots of old homestead sites could be found. Could understand why the farmer gave area up.
In the Adirondack’s, lots of pockets that are not part of the park. Slightly more expensive to purchase. Cheaper way, Timber company land leases for a cabin. Just have to put up with needing permission to cut a tree over 4 inches in diameter.

In IL, very fertile land but your only cover is corn fields, the only trees are in the 160a hedgerows. Truly learned what the term blacktop meant there. Can be very very rural.

My current pocket- 9.71M of my closest enemies within a half circle of the 50 mile radius. 35 people in 12 houses across 360a up here
But they got to know I am here. Who knows-Bicyclists doing the highest hill climb in they county, Hikers in the park next door, friends and relatives of people up here. Got to brave a pretty scary road.
I might not have woods for cover-but I have rock outcroppings, 2-300 yr old oaks, and terrain. I live in a BIL.

As we know, steep inclines are going to keep most people from heading that direction. They will go the easier paths. Especially when they are already tired and hungry…which they will be. Your odds are pretty good on that score EW!

Doc, the writer also makes that point, very strongly in fact and in detail on how to try to work around it.

From what I see now with just dealing with inflation . Many of the people in overpriced " nice " homes and half dozen vehicles and expensive toys seem to be the ones to watch during hard times . I personally know several that have ran scams , sued people over trivial nothing , committed crimes from shop lifting to insurance fraud . I also know a lot of people that are living in homes built in the previous 2 centuries or other run down structures that mind their own business and know how to get by during hard times . Bottom line . I don't care what somebody owns or don't own . A criminal minded person is going to crime .
There's a lot to be said about Wal Street fell but We couldn't tell .

From what I see now with just dealing with inflation . Many of the people in overpriced " nice " homes and half dozen vehicles and expensive toys seem to be the ones to watch during hard times . I personally know several that have ran scams , sued people over trivial nothing , committed crimes from shop lifting to insurance fraud . I also know a lot of people that are living in homes built in the previous 2 centuries or other run down structures that mind their own business and know how to get by during hard times . Bottom line . I don't care what somebody owns or don't own . A criminal minded person is going to crime .
"There's a lot to be said for "wall street fell, but we couldn't tell":

Love the theme of the song but won't be voting for any Democrats..

"There's a lot to be said for "wall street fell, but we couldn't tell":

Love the theme of the song but won't be voting for any Democrats..

Didn't know it was a song
The old Alabama song , they never were my kind if music . My Wife likes them . The Singer was on FOX NEWS a few months ago .
I don't think he votes Democrat .

Last edited:

Yes, some people overspend. They steal, they sht on people they look down on, etc. BUT, when bills no longer matter, they won't be leaving their 4000sf homes to move into a 50 year old, poorly insulated, 800sf single wide. Guaranteed.

Latest posts

Back