When suddenly you find yourself having to prep alone.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made a binder for my daughter and son in law concerning how things work around here. I have left instructions for planting and canning, chickens and bees, how to fix the pool and hot tub, etc. Don't know if they will use it or just throw everything away.
I've done that, too. Tons of stuff gathered on the internet, printed & saved in files at the BOL. Heck, years ago I made such a binder for my executor called "Instructions upon death" outlining our estate/property/assets in event I outlive my husband. He is an attorney and also is my nephew, so I trust him impicitly with such information. He was most appreciative and said he was taking my lead & planned to do the same. My father did the same for me, which was a God send when he died.

Last edited:
Buttoni, I can understand your thoughts and fears. My husband is older than myself, but not that much older. Still, one never knows what is going to happen. Keep your eyes open for an option that suits you best. Do not feel rushed because you could make a bad decision. Talk to your friends and find out exactly what their plans are. We have a neighbor who just lost her husband and we very much intend to take her in when things get bad and dangerous. Get to know your BOL neighbors better. All of these things will help you in the future.

Life is like a revolving door, somewhat similar on every revolution. But, with small changes at each round. How we adapt to those changes( opportunities) determines our positioning for the next revolution. As always ,with every challenge comes new opportunities. A level head and accepting those challenges makes life wonderful. I hope you enjoy all of yours.

Not afraid to use a gun and I'm not a bad shot, but only with pistols. Not so good with his rifles, but have used two of them once or twice, at his insistance, just to get a feel for them.

Get a Ruger 10/22. It is beginner friendly and will allow you to gain experience with a rifle. You can then move up when your ready. The factory Ruger 25rnd magazines are awesome. The other aftermarket magazines suck. Just a suggestion.

Join a local Prepper group that meets regularly. Get exposure while checking out members interested in a BOL.

If you make contact meet at a restaurant until you come to formal agreement on what each expects.
When that family has skin in the game then disclose location.

Be sure to agree on what happens if the new party shows up with more unplanned for and unprepared kin.

If there is no local group create one and have a website for it. If you need free help contact me.

My fear is always, why wouldn't they just shoot me and take over? They are the family and I am just the odd man out. Their family has boyfriends and girlfriends, and friends, and... Doubt they would be listening to me for long in that scenario.
Why? No one shoots a fully skilled grandma that cares for her crew or family.

Last edited:
Why. No one shoots a fully skilled grandma that cares for her crew or family.
Firstly, "Helen" is not a woman.
Secondly, you are assuming people are acting rationally. I suggest your statement is better worded, "No one rational shoots a fully skilled person that cares for their crew or family."

I think my husband has this gun. He has mentioned a Ruger, but not sure if it's a handgun or a long gun. I'll have to ask him when he gets home from the doctor's office.

Turns out he has both a Ruger handgun and Ruger rifle. Thats the rifle he had me practice with last time, he just confirmed.

Well @andrewOz , I get your point.
A few Questions:
- Would you let someone enter (or even "adopt") that does not seem rational?
- Why would any irrational acting person won´t shoot you on sight and then plunder your preps?
- How many time will elapse until rational "tramps" will shoot you on sight, just because your existance means that there is something to find?

Join a local Prepper group that meets regularly. Get exposure while checking out members interested in a BOL.

If you make contact meet at a restaurant until you come to formal agreement on what each expects.
When that family has skin in the game then disclose location.

Be sure to agree on what happens if the new party shows up with more unplanned for and unprepared kin.

If there is no local group create one and have a website for it. If you need free help contact me.

All good points. We don't have internet at our BOL, so a group website would be useless there. Not sure linking up with people up here in the city where we reside would do me any good down at our BOL. That little hole-in-the-wall town only has about 500-600 people living in it. No grocery store and barely a post office. It's really remote.

Well @andrewOz , I get your point.
A few Questions:
A. Would you let someone enter (or even "adopt") that does not seem rational?
B. Why would any irrational acting person won´t shoot you on sight and then plunder your preps?
C. How many time will elapse until rational "tramps" will shoot you on sight, just because your existance means that there is something to find?
A. Sometimes there are people who, through no choice of your own, become part of your "group". Examples: step-children, in-laws.
(Case-in-point: I had step-children, whom it was agreed would start being responsible after they emigrated to here. That never happened, and they remained sloths, treating me as a slave for years. If SHTF had happened, and I had a BOL, I probably would have just executed them if they continued with that behaviour. As it turned out, their behaviour and their mother's refusal to employ any discipline ultimately resulted in the breakup of the marriage. Problem solved!)
B. There are probably many reasons. A couple reasons: they might want (a) slave(s) or sexual object(s).
C. Not much time at all; days, I reckon. Which is why one's BOL should not be near roads on which "refugees" are likely to travel, and should be as remote and difficult to get to as possible. And, ideally you should be aware when people are approaching your property, while they are still a distance away (or have a large enough community of like-minded people that an intruder can be repulsed*).
A big danger in Australia, is the heavy limitations on HONEST people to own adequate weapons and stockpile ammunition. Which means, (govt and non-govt) criminal gangs will be the ones with the most firepower, capable of pillaging the countryside almost entirely unopposed.

*I encountered such a community up a certain road in northern New South Wales, but the price the vendor was asking for the land he was selling was too high.

Last edited:
Teen couple charged with killing girl's dad laughed about 'murder' in video (nypost.com)

The shocking footage, obtained by KLAS, is being used by prosecutors as evidence against Aaron Guerrero, 18, and his 16-year-old girlfriend, Sierra Halseth, the daughter of a former Nevada state senator.

Girl & lover ‘killed dad in sleep because he didn't approve of relationship’ (the-sun.com)

AN 18-year-old girl and her boyfriend have allegedly stabbed her dad to death in his sleep because he did not approve of their relationship.

Police arrested Elena Gioia, 18 and Giovanni Limata, 23, for the murder of Elena's father, surveyor Aldo Gioia, in Avellino on the night of April 2

Teen Kills Father, Sets Him Ablaze With Boyfriend's Help For Objecting Relationship (ibtimes.com)

A15-year-old girl killed her father with the help of her boyfriend for opposing their relationship. The incident took place in Bangalore, the capital city of the southern Indian state of Karnataka on Sunday.

I typed in "girl kills father for not allowing relationship" and a dozen articles popped up. These people killed their own parents. You think strangers won't kill you and just take over your home? It happens all the time now. I would think long and hard about letting strangers into my fold. If they don't like your rules, and you better have some,......

I get going it alone would be incredibly difficult. If you have something to offer, I recommend you try to join someone else's group and go by their rules.

The wife and I have talked about this a lot lately. The plan for if I died first she would immediately buy a place in town and put the ranch on the market and get an auctioneer to sell everything. She knows that she could never manage this place on her own. The kids live 400 miles away, and they don't want the ranch anyway. I dont like my brother and sister so they wouldn't even know if I died.
The wife wouldn't be able to clear the road in winter, wouldn't be able to put up a hundred ton of hay, and couldn't handle calving on her own. Not to mention dealing with the solar electric system, making repairs on miles of fencing, maintenance on over 25 pieces of equipment and vehicles. Just thinking about this is overwhelming for her.
If she died first I'd probably sell too, only it wouldn't need to be immediately. Both of our kids offered to lets us live with them if something happened to either one of us. We'd never move up with them. Too much cold and snow where they live.

Adude, you can come hang with me anytime. I can't promise much but , it will be fun, or at least interesting.

I think the folks in Louisiana and Florida have security at their BOL's made in the shade. Just excavate a livestock tank and stock it with a couple gators. Who needs guns and ammo? LOL

Latest posts

Back