Your Food Storage Equation...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dying of starvation is the worst way to go.
Your body bloats and your skin becomes translucent. Then, as the fluid continues to fill between muscle and skin, the skin begins to split and rip like an overblown water balloon; the fluid leaks out. Because you are unable to move, you end up lying in the leaked fluid as it begins to putrefy; you may lay there like that for more than a month before you die with additional misery....

Hey Worf what will you say at my funeral?

worf-hjo2.png

That month time frame WAS rationed!

Don't count on ANYTHING coming from the government unless your long term plan is to go to a shelter camp.

I hope you have a gun, one bullet and the intelligence to place it correctly because dying of starvation is the worst way to go.

Your body bloats and your skin becomes translucent. Then, as the fluid continues to fill between muscle and skin, the skin begins to split and rip like an overblown water balloon; the fluid leaks out. Because you are unable to move, you end up lying in the leaked fluid as it begins to putrefy; you may lay there like that for more than a month before you die with additional misery....

Food stores are temporary, which is why you learn to forage natural sources and grow but even fast producers like beans, take about two months before harvest. Seeds are relatively inexpensive and, some are simple enough to grow with time and attention.
thats if anyone has the sense to get heritage or heirloom seeds not the run of the mill stuff they sell in the supermarkets, but again that is something only a serious prepper would know.

nope he dosent have a gun because he has a Police record.

Right, I served 3 months in Leicester slammer on a vigilante rap in 2002 after going up against a black drug gang without a gun, how kool is that?.. :cool:
And it gives me bragging rights for life to be able to say I was a vigilante like the heroes of the past..:)-

gun-Rosebud-Vigilantes.jpg

Oh my.
Is this a joke again?

I have been gardening for two decades and we come from farming families. If I had to grow 100% of my food, it would be a challenge.
Now here is a true statement . I often run across someone's survival plan is to grow a garden to feed themselves and family using a tiny space . I normally just put a line through their name as being likely not a survivor after the bomb drops . That tiny garden may help subsidize food in a society Venezuela style collapse , as there might be food available from a real farmer somewhere. A true 100% self-sufficiency garden will take some space and real gardening experience .

Last edited:
Now here is a true statement . I often run across someone's survival plan is to grow a garden to feed themselves and family using a tiny space . I normally just put a line through their name as being a likely survivor after the bomb drops . That tiny garden may help subsidize food in a society Venezuela style collapse , as there might be food available from a real farmer somewhere. A true 100% self-sufficiency garden will take some space and real gardening experience .

This year with our drought wheat yields in Texas came in between 3-25 bushels per acre. Those yields were using modern farming methods, machinery, herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers (organic yields are traditionally 30% less).

A bushel of wheat is 60 lbs.

1 lb of dried wheat = approx. 1 lb of flour (15 oz instead of 16)

A large loaf of bread uses 1 lb of flour

Doing the math, on the high end, that is 1500 loaves of bread. Low end 180 loaves per acre.

Unless you have a way to consistently irrigate and or/ plant far more land than you *think* you need, you may find yourself short. This also stands for hail storms, high winds, floods/standing water....and WTSHTF, raiders and thieves.

You will also need space for livestock grazing or a large enough swath of land to sustain wild deer, hog, fowl, rabbits etc for meat production.

You will need multiple people per acre to work those fields by hand, which means, fewer folks standing on security or other needed jobs. There is a reason the farm families I went to school with had 12-15 kids!

You will also need a storage facility for the year's grain crop. Once properly cured, you have keep it dry, temperate, ventilated, free of bugs, vermin and fungus. Stored incorrectly and it can rot or worse, the dust can explode and start a fire.

https://www.world-grain.com/article...s-causes-and-prevention-of-stored-grain-fires
Growing your own can be done but a "victory garden" isn't going to quite do the job.

Last edited:
This year with our drought wheat yields in Texas came in between 3-25 bushels per acre. Those yields were using modern farming methods, machinery, herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers (organic yields are traditionally 30% less).

Doing the math, on the high end, that is 1500 loaves of bread. Low end 180 loaves per acre.

Unless you have a way to consistently irrigate and or/ plant far more land than you need you may find yourself short. This also stands for hail storms, high winds, floods/standing water....and WTSHTF, raiders and thieves.

You will also need space for livestock grazing or a large enough swath of land to sustain wild deer, hog, fowl, rabbits etc for meat production.

You will need multiple people per acre to work those fields by hand, which means, fewer folks standing on security or other needed jobs.

You will also need a storage facility for the year's grain crop. Once properly cured, you have keep it dry, free of bugs, vermin and fungus. Stored incorrectly and it can rot or worse, the dust can explode and start a fire
https://www.world-grain.com/article...s-causes-and-prevention-of-stored-grain-fires
Growing your own can be done but a "victory garden" isn't going to quite do the job.
Troll, not worth wasting your time or knowledge on

Now here is a true statement . I often run across someone's survival plan is to grow a garden to feed themselves and family using a tiny space . I normally just put a line through their name as being likely not a survivor after the bomb drops . That tiny garden may help subsidize food in a society Venezuela style collapse , as there might be food available from a real farmer somewhere. A true 100% self-sufficiency garden will take some space and real gardening experience .
Absolutely. And time. Lots and lots of time. Plus a crazy amount of storage.
It would be a full time job to grow that amount of food and then you have to harvest, dry, winnow/process. The amount of grain to feed a family until the next growing season would fill a lot of space.

I plant around 35 -40 tomato plants to get us about two meals a week with tomatoes (primarily whole stewed as the suaces require so much more). That takes approximately 80 linear feet... really more if you want healthy plants. That is ONE crop and it's not even a staple crop!

Unless you have a way to consistently irrigate and or/ plant far more land than you *think* you need, you may find yourself short. This also stands for hail storms, high winds, floods/standing water....and WTSHTF, raiders and thieves.

You will need multiple people per acre to work those fields by hand, which means, fewer folks standing on security or other needed jobs. There is a reason the farm families I went to school with had 12-15 kids!

You will also need a storage facility for the year's grain crop. Once properly cured, you have keep it dry, temperate, ventilated, free of bugs, vermin and fungus. Stored incorrectly and it can rot or worse, the dust can explode and start a fire.

Good thing we have a big country. Usually when one grain producing area has low yields do to weather, another has high yeilds. It kind of equals out.
However, if we become dependent on only locally grown grains after SHTF, that's a different story. We may not have the ability to get grain from say Montana, Texas, Kansas, Idaho etc. if there's a low yield due to drought. We should all be planting our own wheat, oats, barely etc. And get the necessary equipment to process it. Maybe even form local co-op's and share the cost.

And get the necessary equipment to process it.
And a good hand mill! Some of my best workouts have been with my trusty hand mill.

We probably wouldn't bother with growing a lot of wheat. I've never had much luck with it, so I'd hesitate to rely on it. We'd probably be eating a lot of corn, potatoes, quinoa, and squash.

... and I hate squash.

And a good hand mill! Some of my best workouts have been with my trusty hand mill.

We probably wouldn't bother with growing a lot of wheat. I've never had much luck with it, so I'd hesitate to rely on it. We'd probably be eating a lot of corn, potatoes, quinoa, and squash.

... and I hate squash.

Yeah, not a fan of squash either! LOL. We throw out wheat to grow in the winter here when temps are no longer scorching and we get a lot of rain. Had pretty good luck with it.

It did take a long time to harvest by hand, dry, clean and store.

There are many different varieties that have been bred to grow in a lot of different areas. Take a look at some uncommon forms of wheat and give a small patch a try. There is a type of wheat that does well here that they developed and grow in Ethiopia. It is suited to our summer climate and rain/lack of.

Now my mouth is watering. Hot, crusty bread with glops of butter, a bowl of homemade chicken soup...mmmm.

Yeah, not a fan of squash either! LOL. We throw out wheat to grow in the winter here when temps are no longer scorching and we get a lot of rain. Had pretty good luck with it.

It did take a long time to harvest by hand, dry, clean and store.

There are many different varieties that have been bred to grow in a lot of different areas. Take a look at some uncommon forms of wheat and give a small patch a try. There is a type of wheat that does well here that they developed and grow in Ethiopia. It is suited to our summer climate and rain/lack of.

Now my mouth is watering. Hot, crusty bread with glops of butter, a bowl of homemade chicken soup...mmmm.
We have tried a few but just haven't had great results. I have a couple of new varieties to try this year. Hopefully one will do well.

Now I'm hungry too!

Latest posts

Back