What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a half ham under the potatoes, carrots, white onion with salt and black pepper and shot of white vinegar
20181107_112258.jpg
. Crock pot set on 8 hours .

Hard to go wrong with beans and ham. I keep reading/hearing about cornbread - most memorably in Aliens - but never eaten it. I should give it a go sometime.
There are many types, so if you try it and don't like it, then go for a different recipe. People around here have been using "Jiffy" mix which actually isn't the proper way. But my brother likes it that way and his wife adds some sugar to it. I tend to like it the old fashion way using regular cornmeal. There was a movie called "Life" with Eddie Murphy, a convict asked him something like, "You gonna eat yo cornbread?". Ended up anytime that fella asked you about your cornbread you gave it to him. LOL, you can see this on YouTube, the cornbread scene.

There are many types, so if you try it and don't like it, then go for a different recipe. People around here have been using "Jiffy" mix which actually isn't the proper way. But my brother likes it that way and his wife adds some sugar to it. I tend to like it the old fashion way using regular cornmeal. There was a movie called "Life" with Eddie Murphy, a convict asked him something like, "You gonna eat yo cornbread?". Ended up anytime that fella asked you about your cornbread you gave it to him. LOL, you can see this on YouTube, the cornbread scene.

A good quick corn bread is 1 and 1/2 cup cornmeal mix 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1 large egg ,1/2 stick melted butter , little salt , Black pepper . 1 and 1/3 cups milk or 1 and 1/2 buttermilk . Bake at 450 about 25 minutes .

I made beans n ham yesterday. Ate a bowl of it,with no corn bread. Due to no muffin pan. So I broke down and bought a 12 muffin,muffin pan today. Now I deffently ate cornbread today.im a happy camper now.
Put it in anything oven proof, it will bake. I prefer an iron skillet with melted lard in the bottom to cover, then heat a bit then add the batter and bake.

Last edited:
Tonight just some sliced roast beef, slice of cheese on a couple of pieces of bread and into the little George Foreman to get nice and toasty and melted. Maybe some popcorn. I bought a hen for stew for later in the week.

Thinking about corning my own brisket if the darn things would come on sale. I've never tried doing it before.

Lately, I've just been eating a big lunch, and not eating dinner. As it is, we get home around 7:30pm most nights, so a little late to cook, then eat dinner. Hopefully, I'll lose some weight this way.

We'll still cook some nights, and maybe eat a little bit, but mostly, we'd be cooking for the lunches for the next day.

Lately, I've just been eating a big lunch, and not eating dinner. As it is, we get home around 7:30pm most nights, so a little late to cook, then eat dinner. Hopefully, I'll lose some weight this way.

We'll still cook some nights, and maybe eat a little bit, but mostly, we'd be cooking for the lunches for the next day.
That is how I do it a lot. heavier lunch, supper light.

I eat one meal a day (dinner / super) and 12 cookies -- 6 cookies if I have a bowl of ice cream. so far so good. Holding same weight and A1C under control.

Tagliatelle and beef ragu, just emptying out the freezer before flitting. Off to bed now with peppermint tea and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Eggs Benedict lunch with friends. Dinner of smoked salmon and lime on toast, then grilled mackerel with crisp-fried potatoes with a little cream and horseradish dressing.

Wife made black walnut pound cake from a old timey recipe.
Very good .

Walnut cake = great cake :D

I had cauliflower curry with rice, then a lovely panna cotta with fresh raspberry sauce. It's amazing that rasps are still producing here in mid November.

Latest posts

Back