What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be sme kind of natural defense . No Iv cleaned 1 gar . Here We have the smaller Elk river not the big Tennessee river so We do not have the Alligator gar We have spotted gar . Gar dont have scales they have armor . The one I cleaned and cooked I used a bowie knife , pocket knife , wire pliers and wire cutters . It was good the meat had a more of a meat texture than flakes like other fish it was pinkish and had a sweet taste. Iv eaten catfish , bass , blue gill eggs but most of the time toss them .

I have tried to eat cavaiar at least ten times in my life. I just can’t get past the fact that it tastes like slimy fish eggs each time! :)

It's the salt that gets to me eventually with caviar. Got put off it by my Dad, who didn't so much salt his food as the other way around!

Tonight was a mixed bag as I'm off to London tomorrow for a week (doing more fixing and decorating for a friend!) and didn't want to risk leftovers: bit of a superb chicken and black pudding pie, some cheese, an apple, a couple of carrots, a dab of peanut butter.

I have tried to eat cavaiar at least ten times in my life. I just can’t get past the fact that it tastes like slimy fish eggs each time! :)
I love caviar. When I worked in the Caspian region I'd buy baluga caviar by the kilo. I had a "connection" that worked in a caviar plant so I got it really cheap. I'd put caviar on scrambled eggs, toast, potato chips or eat it right out of the container.

Collards and kales are coming in now, so this afternoon after work I picked some curly kale. Washed it, cut it into pieces & boiled for about 6 minutes, then washed with cold water. Then put spaghetti into that pot of water. When cooked, drained it and tossed the water. Added some butter & olive oil back into that pot and cooked up a good bit of minced, fresh garlic. Added back the kale & tossed well in the butter/olive oil for a few minutes. Turned off the heat & added the spaghetti, black olives & some prosciutto. Added Parmesan cheese once plated and had some homemade bread to go with it.

curly.jpg

dinner.jpg

Last edited:
And after all the mincing an squeezing and chopping and slicing...

9v7dmNP.png
How long you cook the quinoa? Looks lovely! I've never used that super grain but know I should. I might be tempted to add some fresh mozzarella. Did you make the dressing with the lemons & maybe olive oil?

My dinner was not so healthy. I cooked some corned beef & added carrots, red potatoes & cabbage to the pot.

It's tabouleh using quinoa instead of bulgur wheat. You rinse the quinoa, then add 2 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer until all the water is cooked out. Not sure exactly how long, I usually keep checking the bottom to see if there is any water left. Then let the quinoa sit until it is cool, fluffing it up now and then.

More or less standard tabouleh: parsley, mint, green onions, tomatoes, one large cucumber. All sliced and diced.

The dressing is made by marinating minced garlic in lemon juice, then adding salt, pepper and olive oil. About 4 large lemons or 3/4 cup lemon juice, 4 or so (I use more) minced garlic cloves, and then slowly whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil. If you add it too fast it separates. Put half of the dressing in the quinoa and stir it up good. Then add the quinoa to the tabouleh, then the rest of the dressing, and toss it.

I have diverticulitis, and this is about the only thing that really makes my tummy happy...

Chums fed me exceptionally well in exchange for DIY last week: crispy duck; squid stuffed with chorizo; crumpets and cheese; fantastic roast chicken with red wine shallot gravy; more cheese; bramble crumble; fish and chips; exceptionally fine cakes and wine; and many, many more!

Tonight, my first night home and hungry: pork sausages, black pudding, mash, peas.

Latest posts

Back