What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking some chicken stew. Thighs where on sale.

20220604_123.jpg

Going for more crawfish today just as I figured.

Thinking about some Dino Ribs for Sunday.
They're simply beef short ribs....
When done properly they taste like brisket only richer. They have beautiful marbling!!
In fact I'll take them over brisket,they're kind of a cross between the point and the flat of a brisket.
Not to dry and not to fatty. And it's super tender.
Cant really tell the size in the pics but one is enough per person.
They're about ten inches long and three inches thick.

6F51B03D-200F-43ED-BB2A-596EF63617CC.jpeg

6A8AAB27-EAF8-42E1-B135-9C4CCC6D9891.jpeg

I would have thought Georgia would have some good BBQ at least.

Oh, there is lots of BBQ in Georgia, and some is edible. I'm not at all crazy about the vinegar and mustard BBQ sauce though.
But this town is cursed culinarily. I think it might be because of Fort Benning which adjoins Columbus. Not only do we have the current military people from Fort Benning coming here to eat, we also have a lot of former military settling here and they apparently don't really like Southern cuisine. And they like their BBQ burnt to a crisp, literally burnt black on the outside and dried out on the inside. It's almost like eating jerky sometimes. I always tell the waitress I DO NOT WANT MINE BURNT, but they just ignore it. We can get better ribs at Sam's Club than at the popular BBQ restaurants here. Kind of sad...
Every time we get a good restaurant, it either closes or the quality drops off after a couple of years. Or they drop the good stuff from the menu after a while. My son called it "The Columbus Curse."
There is only one restaurant left that has a muffaletta on the menu. Not a single restaurant with red snapper on the menu, and we're not that far from the Gulf. But cheap fried (imported) catfish on every corner which my wife and I will not touch with a ten foot pole. Whenever we go to visit relatives in Mississippi we pig out on Mississippi farm raised catfish. There is literally not a single restaurant here anymore that we want to go to. I can name many that we liked when they first opened.

Oh, there is lots of BBQ in Georgia, and some is edible. I'm not at all crazy about the vinegar and mustard BBQ sauce though.
But this town is cursed culinarily. I think it might be because of Fort Benning which adjoins Columbus. Not only do we have the current military people from Fort Benning coming here to eat, we also have a lot of former military settling here and they apparently don't really like Southern cuisine. And they like their BBQ burnt to a crisp, literally burnt black on the outside and dried out on the inside. It's almost like eating jerky sometimes. I always tell the waitress I DO NOT WANT MINE BURNT, but they just ignore it. We can get better ribs at Sam's Club than at the popular BBQ restaurants here. Kind of sad...
Every time we get a good restaurant, it either closes or the quality drops off after a couple of years. Or they drop the good stuff from the menu after a while. My son called it "The Columbus Curse."
There is only one restaurant left that has a muffaletta on the menu. Not a single restaurant with red snapper on the menu, and we're not that far from the Gulf. But cheap fried (imported) catfish on every corner which my wife and I will not touch with a ten foot pole. Whenever we go to visit relatives in Mississippi we pig out on Mississippi farm raised catfish. There is literally not a single restaurant here anymore that we want to go to. I can name many that we liked when they first opened.

I agree with you on the vinegar BBQ sauce.
I dont mind the white vinegar sauce if they dont get carried away with the vinegar.
I like a decent BBQed pork butt with a touch of the sauce but I still like my beef better.
I'd say the best thing about pork is anyone can BBQ it since it has so much fat in it it's hard to screw it up.

Love me some cabbage!!!
My Mother used to make cabbage rolls when I was a kid and I couldnt get enough of them!!
Post up the recipe when you get a chance.

I love cabbage to. It's so cheap to buy. 2 big heads for $1. I don't really have a recipe. I just put a stick of butter with the trinity & garlic. I put in a pound of cubed pork and a pound of Cajun pork sausage. 2 heads of cut up cabbage. Add salt, pepper, cumin powder, parsley, chicken broth. Cook it covered on low for about 6 hours.

I love cabbage to. It's so cheap to buy. 2 big heads for $1. I don't really have a recipe. I just put a stick of butter with the trinity & garlic. I put in a pound of cubed pork and a pound of Cajun pork sausage. 2 heads of cut up cabbage. Add salt, pepper, cumin powder, parsley, chicken broth. Cook it covered on low for about 6 hours.

Finished dish
20220607_25.jpg

I have a Buddy who gave us this recipe.
You cut the head of cabbage in a cross and lay bacon strips in the cross and heat it.
And ya lay butter in each cross to finish.

I have a Buddy who gave us this recipe.
You cut the head of cabbage in a cross and lay bacon strips in the cross and heat it.
And ya lay butter in each cross to finish.
My cardiologist will love the cabbage part, but I'm not sure about the rest, LOL.

Tonight was prepping food night. Everyone picked long term stored food that was the oldest we had. I picked a Dak ham, I made sandwiches and a can of beats that I added vinegar and oil, spices to. My 2 sons picked some things from the oldest MRE box. My wife and daughter in law and grandson ate 2 freeze dried entrees from the first ones I ever bought about 12 years ago.

Not everyone's favorite, but it was satisfying and everyone had a full belly.

I just threw all the leftover turkey parts (bones and all) into a pot and cooked it down in some water. I took the bones and fat out after about 40 mins. Then I took some carrots, celery, green onions, and a little bell pepper and chopped them up and simmered them in the broth. I also threw in the tiny bit of leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes and green beans that I had left in the fridge, along with some garlic and pepper. At the very end I threw in a bag and a half of wide egg noodles. Right now it's a nasty cold and wet night, but I'm enjoying a big pot of really good turkey noodle soup, next to a good fire and a pit bull that's glued to my side. It dosent get much better. I feel even better knowing that most would just throw out the leftover bones, but with a little time they make another great meal.
Usually I only buy turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas (hard to find other times of the year-especially whole)
But, it's my favourite thing to make in my crock pot, the left overs and bones and big bits of turkey swimming around in the broth playing with the carrots and beans and potatoes, and dumplings......mmmmmm My mouths watering.....Tsk, now I'm hungry again.!

Have to share my blast from the past (college days) "dinner" tonight...bowl of "shrimp" flavored Ramen noodles!

It's getting scary folks...I'm so tired and half brain dead by time I get done working, I am getting in bad habit of grabbing what's handy n quick...I will say I threw in scoop of powdered collagen to make me feel like I was getting something besides belly filler and salt. Only thing missing was some Early Grey tea to make me feel like I am in my 20s again!

If yall don't hear from me anymore I've died of malnutrition or I blew up from salt overdose from ramen noodles "seasoning" packets. 😂 life is good!

I decided to make fancy personal pizzas tonight...
Pita crust
Mid's All Natural Authentic Sicilian Pizza Sauce
Buffalo Milk Mozzarella
Salt Brined Kalamata Olives
Anchovies (my wife's request)
Roasted Garlic (not dried)
Baby Bella Mushrooms
Roma Tomatoes
Smoked Venison Italian Sausage
Vidalia Onions
Melinda's XXXTra Hot Habanero Sauce
tw9SiMT.jpg

The other night I made Cajun shrimp stuffed peppers. I added ghost peppers to the stuffing for my peppers. Too hot for the wife.
My wife can eat hotter than I can. I used to be a real chili head but now I have to limit my capsaicin because I found out that it was the culprit with my occasional irregular heartbeat that I've had problems with since the 1980's. Half a dozen doctors including three cardiologists couldn't figure it out (they kept blaming coffee) and I figured it out on my own, LOL.

Latest posts

Back