What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
I got these today from amazon. Just a little over a buck a mask and they seem pretty good quality. More importantly is they are reasonably comfortable. I wear a disposable paper surgical mask over the top of my n95’s so I can change the paper more often and stretch the better masks for longer use. It kind of sucks to breathe with two masks but I’m still of the mindset that I really don’t want this damned virus.View attachment 11565

I guarantee, you will get the virus,

I got these today from amazon. Just a little over a buck a mask and they seem pretty good quality. More importantly is they are reasonably comfortable. I wear a disposable paper surgical mask over the top of my n95’s so I can change the paper more often and stretch the better masks for longer use. It kind of sucks to breathe with two masks but I’m still of the mindset that I really don’t want this damned virus.View attachment 11565

Brent, it only protects down to 2.5pm, covid-19 been known to be smaller than 2.5pm hovering around 1pm also the kn95 can be worn for a couple of hours before saturation occurs but really offers one no protection against covid. Also how many people remove the mask once they come out of the stores with their bare hands and chuck it in the trash before getting into the car without washing hands

Another thing, four lines stand out on this mask

"KN95 is a Chinese standard for respirator masks"
"Made in China"
"This KN95 mask is NOT an N95 mask"
"NOT tested by the FDA, CDC or OSHA"

If one is truly concerned about catching the china virus, stay home and have the kids shop and drop off on the porch or order online.

Brent, it only protects down to 2.5pm, covid-19 been known to be smaller than 2.5pm hovering around 1pm also the kn95 can be worn for a couple of hours before saturation occurs but really offers one no protection against covid. Also how many people remove the mask once they come out of the stores with their bare hands and chuck it in the trash before getting into the car without washing hands

Another thing, four lines stand out on this mask

"KN95 is a Chinese standard for respirator masks"
"Made in China"
"This KN95 mask is NOT an N95 mask"
"NOT tested by the FDA, CDC or OSHA"

If one is truly concerned about catching the china virus, stay home and have the kids shop and drop off on the porch or order online.
I agree that a mask is basic defense against the virus. Isolation is the most secure method to protect yourself. Unfortunately in the real world I still need to go work, get groceries, take my wife to drs, etc. so the double masks are the best option I have. As far as Chinese made, I agree I’d rather have American made, but I was surprised to even see masks for sale again at all. I got what I could for the first time in months. I’m far from an expert on masks, but looking at the quality of these compared to the 3M ones that I used way past their life expectancy is comparable. I just didn’t see any 3M ones for sale still.

I've got a treadle sewing machine. The case is kind of rough, but the machine is in good shape. Paid $120 for it. And it works well.
I’ve got three antique sewing machines. Two singer and one brownie. one of the singers is an industrial version that looks just like the regular one but it’s bigger with a larger needle. Likely able to sew leather. Now if I only new how to sew.... I just like antiques and country style. My house looks early American cracker barrel!

I’ve got three antique sewing machines. Two singer and one brownie. one of the singers is an industrial version that looks just like the regular one but it’s bigger with a larger needle. Likely able to sew leather. Now if I only new how to sew.... I just like antiques and country style. My house looks early American cracker barrel!

We have an old Singer on a cast iron treadle frame that is also motorised, so if the power goes off we can use the treadle.

I’ve always admired people good at sewing. I imagine I could learn but have seen some that could just make professional looking clothes seemingly easily. One thing I believe though is you can buy clothes on sale cheaper than you can buy the materials to make then. Maybe not designer clothes but everyday stuff. I bought a bunch of jeans from Walmart for somewhere near 13$ a pair For prepping purposes. They are durable, cheap and there’s no way I could make them anywhere near the price.

I can honestly say that you can buy cheap clothing from Walmart and other outlet stores for far less than what you can buying the fabric and making the items. When you can catch the sales at the fabric stores and do your own though, the quality can be so much better, depending on how well it is put together and sewn and hold up longer though,. It all depends on what your budget is, how expendable your clothes can be and the ecperience of the sewer. .

I can honestly say that you can buy cheap clothing from Walmart and other outlet stores for far less than what you can buying the fabric and making the items. When you can catch the sales at the fabric stores and do your own though, the quality can be so much better, depending on how well it is put together and sewn and hold up longer though,. It all depends on what your budget is, how expendable your clothes can be and the ecperience of the sewer. .
There is a certain amount of pride that goes along with a quality hand made item that’s priceless too. I can buy furniture much cheaper than the time and material I put into making it but I really enjoy the satisfaction of it. Not everything is about money.

I’ve always admired people good at sewing. I imagine I could learn but have seen some that could just make professional looking clothes seemingly easily. One thing I believe though is you can buy clothes on sale cheaper than you can buy the materials to make then. Maybe not designer clothes but everyday stuff. I bought a bunch of jeans from Walmart for somewhere near 13$ a pair For prepping purposes. They are durable, cheap and there’s no way I could make them anywhere near the price.

Yup same thing here I bulk buy Jeans and Cargos from Budget ranges in Sainsburies and Matalan, dont think I've paid more than about £12 a pair for years. Over here I think I'm right in saying that nearly all brands of Jeans are made in only 2 or 3 factories, 0ne in Ireland and another in Turkey they make jeans for most supermarkets and chain stores plus lots of the more expensive brands.

I am recovering from a forest fire in which I lost everything so I am mentally reorganizing, shopping for things, and planing my next move. I don't even know what state I will end up living in yet. A lot of the prepping depends on local living conditions, aims for prepping and so on.

In restocking, it seems every discount chain is selling their own brand of blue jeans now. Since Levi Strauss is now a Chinese company and the quality is gone, I really don't care about the brand. I need them rather loose for good movement and the pockets large and easy to access while seated behind the wheel.

We go to the flea market in the next town each Saturday and look at the $1-$2-$3 tables. You can get jeans, fleece pullovers, jogging pants and thing for only a dollar or two. Jackets or heavier things go for $3...it is cheaper to get working clothes there than to buy new and you can just use them for rags later if the get torn up too much to re-sew...500 pellets in cal .177 only cost $3, steel cutting disks for the angle grinder are only $3 for a pack of 10 disks. Solar lights for the garden are only a few bucks too. So cheap, you don't mind them breaking after a year or two of working...

Our local Amish store had a truckload of strawberries come in. So, I've got two large flats to make freezer jam with. Also clearing our their grits, so I've been busy repacking them in empty juice jugs. Mom drinks tons of juice and saves her empty jugs for me.

Latest posts

Back