What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
This week I went and bought more sewing materials, patches and thread. Also bought more Israeli bandages of vary sizes as well as more clotting powder. Can you tell what I’m thinking about?
A couple days ago I pulled out my darning needle for the sewing machine and the spare button tin. I was down to only 2 jeans for work. Kinda feel like I have a brand new wardrobe. Can't remember the last time I had a dozen pair of jeans to choose from. The one that was beyond repair got made into shorts. It's not that I can't afford some new pairs but I just hate shopping. The buttons were to repair some of hunnys shirts. It was nice to get a relaxing day of meanding. . . Of course after I got everything out back away hunny brings me a shirt with a torn pocket. :)

A couple days ago I pulled out my darning needle for the sewing machine and the spare button tin. I was down to only 2 jeans for work. Kinda feel like I have a brand new wardrobe. Can't remember the last time I had a dozen pair of jeans to choose from. The one that was beyond repair got made into shorts. It's not that I can't afford some new pairs but I just hate shopping. The buttons were to repair some of hunnys shirts. It was nice to get a relaxing day of meanding. . . Of course after I got everything out back away hunny brings me a shirt with a torn pocket. :)

LOL Isn’t that the way it goes with our men? Personally, I feel your way of repurposing your jeans is smart and resourceful!

We did the same GeorgiaPeachie, too the wife and daughter to town and they picked up a new sewing machine and thread, denim patches and cloth. We got back home last night around 8:30 to find a 350# black bear feasting on a row of my corn, let’s just say i had to scare him off.

OMG! Those bears scare me! Seems like the women who are in tune with what is going on in our country are preparing even more.

Last edited:
My oldest daughter has been buying and buying material. Has anyone noticed how expensive it is getting and lower in availability too. She is almost finished with 2 large quilts. Have to say they are lovely!
Would love to see some pictures! I have material to do more myself stashed away and now that I am still doing the overnight shift I am actually debating not doing a fall garden of at least down sizing it greatly. BUT depending on the election outcome I really don't want to regret not doing the norm. The days are getting shorter and with me sleeping during the day I won't get much daylight to be working outside. At night if I'm home, I can at least sew and not make too much noise so my hunny can sleep. It was nice having my machine out. . . And Christmas is coming.

I swear you are the busiest girl! Just sent a text to daughter to ask for a closer to finished pic of the quilts. I want them for my album anyway.

My Fall garden is off to a great start. Happy as can be about it. It is not big as most went into the greenhouse, but I have this strong need to make sure I can grow food almost year round. Will post them as soon as I receive the updated ones.

I am concerned with both inflation and supply chain disruptions coming so have been thinking about what things I really need. I’ve got the pantry really well stocked along with the medical and regular prepping supplies. I went ahead and ordered a supply of jeans, tee shirts and under ware just to put away for future use. Today I think I will try to get a few pairs of good sneakers too. I also got new pots and pan. Just trying to think of the common things we use and have taken for granted that we have always been able to easily get them.

Food is stocked. We have more clothes than we will every wear out. Started the reloading process for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I will purchase a chronograph this month and be able to start testing the new rounds. Next month (October) I will purchase the Ruger Precision Rimfire 22 LR. (already got ammo for it). December I will purchase the 12 ga. shotgun. Hope to catch an Xmas sale. April I will be joining a private rifle / shotgun range. In July I will purchase the MEC 600 shotgun reloading press. From there I will split my focus between firearms / reloading and garden growing. The shotgun or the shotgun reloading press could switch dates, depending on sales in December. Those are my scheduled preps for this year and the middle of next year. We will continue to build our normal supply stock and medical supplies. Being retired and on a fixed income, all major purchased have to be scheduled ahead. We do not buy anything on credit. Cash or not getting it.

Food is stocked. We have more clothes than we will every wear out. Started the reloading process for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I will purchase a chronograph this month and be able to start testing the new rounds. Next month (October) I will purchase the Ruger Precision Rimfire 22 LR. (already got ammo for it). December I will purchase the 12 ga. shotgun. Hope to catch an Xmas sale. April I will be joining a private rifle / shotgun range. In July I will purchase the MEC 600 shotgun reloading press. From there I will split my focus between firearms / reloading and garden growing. The shotgun or the shotgun reloading press could switch dates, depending on sales in December. Those are my scheduled preps for this year and the middle of next year. We will continue to build our normal supply stock and medical supplies. Being retired and on a fixed income, all major purchased have to be scheduled ahead. We do not buy anything on credit. Cash or not getting it.
I’ve always said if you can’t pay cash then you can’t afford it And If you can’t pay cash you can live without it. Its a good philosophy to live by.
I did order three pairs of sketcher sneakers today. They are the most comfortable to me and I was down to one decent pair and one work pair that was getting worn.

7A095C6D-72DC-4EE3-A260-22933522B0FC.jpeg
I I started Hanging rafters on my screened porch addition Today. I just stopped due to it getting dark. Will be nice once I get the metal roof on and have some shade to work under! The white metal roof will reflect a lot of the heat away from the house during the summers and I will have a nice dry and bug free area to cook under from now on. Can’t believe i didn’t do this ages ago. I’m doing it by myself and am a lot slower than I used to be.....

View attachment 11142I I started Hanging rafters on my screened porch addition Today. I just stopped due to it getting dark. Will be nice once I get the metal roof on and have some shade to work under! The white metal roof will reflect a lot of the heat away from the house during the summers and I will have a nice dry and bug free area to cook under from now on. Can’t believe i didn’t do this ages ago. I’m doing it by myself and am a lot slower than I used to be.....

Careful on the ladder. Even short falls can be nasty. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Careful on the ladder. Even short falls can be nasty. Looking forward to seeing it done.
Lol, yeah I’ve noticed it takes a lot longer to recover once you’re in your 50’s too! I finally got smart enough to give up motorcycles also. I still believe being in your car is the most dangerous thing you’ll ever do.

Finally getting around to reloading the hundreds of 223 cases I've had in a bucket since Bush was president. When I was a member of the civilian range at Fort Benning the ground would be carpeted with 223 and 5.56 cases, and I started picking them up. During the Obama shortages I traded several hundred of them for ammo, but I still have hundreds left.

I get whatever the cheapest 55 grain soft point I can find and use Varget powder, which shoots well in my rifle. But I need to start using some of the "safe queen" powders I have like 4064, which I really have no other use for. I have more primers than I can ever use...not by design, but because I was trying different primers when working up a load for 6.5 Lapua, buying them by the thousand but only using a hundred or so. I think I have plenty of powder. My only limitation is bullets, but when I checked, I had more than I thought I had. So the only things lacking are motivation and elbow grease, LOL.

Been preparing for the past 4 days for an historical wind event hitting later this evening and going on for two days during a red flag warning. I've been strapping thing down and securing out-buildings, got the animal in the stable that generally go in the stables during winter, got the Cat and center pivot in position, generators on the ready, chainsaws ready, got the cattle in an open pasture. We will take turns on fire watch.

Latest posts

Back