What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
Our place is a one acre rural egg farm that is off grid (solar with generators for backup)
UDDT sanitation system
Rain water collection system (being that it's pours off our metal roof, the water is purified with Berky filters to be on the safe side)
Two year food supply
Canning supplies (Vacuum chamber, Pressure Canner, Water Bath Canner, 100 lbs of canning salt, 50 lbs of sea salt for brining, 50 lbs of pickling lime for nixtamalization, mason jars, pickle jars, fermentation jars...etc., etc.
3 winters worth of firewood
Several garden plots, plus blackberry and raspberry thickets.....

Our place is a one acre rural egg farm that is off grid (solar with generators for backup)
UDDT sanitation system
Rain water collection system (being that it's pours off our metal roof, the water is purified with Berky filters to be on the safe side)
Two year food supply
Canning supplies (Vacuum chamber, Pressure Canner, Water Bath Canner, 100 lbs of canning salt, 50 lbs of sea salt for brining, 50 lbs of pickling lime for nixtamalization, mason jars, pickle jars, fermentation jars...etc., etc.
3 winters worth of firewood
Several garden plots, plus blackberry and raspberry thickets.....

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

Hi, new member here:

Our hideout is in remote, coastal Belize;
Been here, doing this for 11+ years;
Totally off-grid;
Solar powered (48v, robust enough for AC & workshop)
Rainwater catchment w/ ample storage tanks/ filtered;
HD locked steel gates at road, then 2-mi. driveway across barricade-able bridge thru jungle;
Ocean-access docks & boat launch;
Watchdogs who don't eat our chickens;
Got lotsa chickens & eggs;
Year-round harvest in gardens & orchards
Fish in the creeks, lagoons & sea;
Fruit orchards;
Veggie/ fruit nursery made of bamboo & chicken wire;
90 min. from int'l airport;
20 mi. of bad road to closest grocery or town;
We can come and go by boat to/from anywhere, or 4x4 from public road;

We barter & trade with local bush farmers for much food, especially fish, red beans & weird fruits;

Outside communications (internet/ email) is hard but we deal with it;
(signal boosters, 3G burners; sat dishes, line-of-sight, etc.: most become boat anchors)

We eat well, but,
We need to learn more about canning & food preservation;

We can teach people about rainwater catchment - I am surprised more people don't utilize it!

Taxes here are crazy-low;

Government here is almost beside the point;

Diesel fuel is one of the biggest expenses;

We never discuss weapons outside of our compound;

More people need to understand, 'prepping' is about more than just lean-too's & guns.

I think I'll pass...

Gun Ownership In Belize
For North American nationals, especially those from the U.S. accustomed to the right to bear arms, Belize can be very sobering – or incarcerating. Gun ownership is very restrictive; not impossible, but very difficult to navigate.
The country has in place a quagmire of laws aimed at restricting gun ownership. If you are a permanent resident or have acquired citizenship, gun ownership is possible. A thorough background check is conducted and the waiting period can be as long as six months. The maximum calbre allowed in Belize is 9mm. Anything above, for example .38 magnum or .45 is deemed a prohibited firearm.
Belize has strict gun license laws. For example, forgetting to renew your gun permit will not get you a nice reminder letter in the mail as was the practice under British rule. All gun permits must be renewed before a gun owner’s birthday and for up to three years as of 2018 (previously only for one year). Firearm owners that forget to renew their license on time run the risk of being detained by the authorities and incarcerated without recourse to bail for one month.

Hi, new member here:

Totally off-grid;
HD locked steel gates at road, then 2-mi. driveway across barricade-able bridge thru jungle;
Fruit orchards;

We barter & trade with local bush farmers for much food, especially fish, red beans & weird fruits;

(signal boosters, 3G burners; sat dishes, line-of-sight, etc.: most become boat anchors)

We eat well, but,

We can teach people about rainwater catchment - I am surprised more people don't utilize it!

More people need to understand, 'prepping' is about more than just lean-too's & guns.

Belize, is where I met my first wife in 81' when I was stationed at Ft. Sherman Panama she was their visiting her brother who was in the British Military, Sadly she died in 1989 car accident, I loved Belize, we used to vacation their after we married.

Welcome from Washington State.

Hi, new member here:

Totally off-grid;
Fruit orchards;

We eat well, but,

A 48 volt system is impressive...what type of inverter? AC and shop tools have high current draws, how do you cool the batteries?

A 48 volt system is impressive...what type of inverter? AC and shop tools have high current draws, how do you cool the batteries?
Thanks. We have 2 Outback inverters & Charge Controllers./ 65 PV panels (25 on the roof, the rest on a ground array), 24 Industrial 2000aH Flooded Lead Acid batteries. The batteries are in a ventilated control room with exhaust fan. They don't overheat. We even use a 220v welder, but we are careful not to run the dishwasher, AC or other hi-draw equipment at the same time, and only on sunny days

We started out with a 2kW "WhisperJet" wind turbine. It was nice to have nighttime recharging, but over time storms and age diminished and finally knocked down the wind turbine. Dollar to kilowatt, solar power is cheaper than wind, with less moving parts. So no more wind power here.

Always wanted to see Belize. I love scuba and hear it’s a divers paradise. Maybe one day if we ever get through this Covid crap!
My brother lived in Belize for a few years. His first trip down was by sail boat from Texas. He lost the boat and everything on board in a hurricane.
Second trip down he drove. He liked it there, except for the bugs and snakes.

Welcome. Belize is very nice. Ripe for someone to come and take over after SHTF.

Good point, but Belize is an excellent place to be before/during/after SHTF. Here's why:
- Lowest population density in Caribbean, North or Central America by far;
- Only 40 cases (2 deaths) of C-virus in the entire country due to borders closed & other measures;
- English speaking;
- Part of the British Commonwealth, so stable govt;
- Very low taxes;
- Very little govt interference with anything;
- Lotsa off-grid expats, farmers & preppers from USA, Canada, UK, etc.;
- People here have been off-grid for centuries, and know how to do it;
- NO pollution;
- Mostly cash & barter economy;
- You can get firearm license if you don't have an Interpol police record;

It isn't for everybody, but we like it here. We come & go as we please.

I think I'll pass...

Gun Ownership In Belize
For North American nationals, especially those from the U.S. accustomed to the right to bear arms, Belize can be very sobering – or incarcerating. Gun ownership is very restrictive; not impossible, but very difficult to navigate.
The country has in place a quagmire of laws aimed at restricting gun ownership. If you are a permanent resident or have acquired citizenship, gun ownership is possible. A thorough background check is conducted and the waiting period can be as long as six months. The maximum calbre allowed in Belize is 9mm. Anything above, for example .38 magnum or .45 is deemed a prohibited firearm.
Belize has strict gun license laws. For example, forgetting to renew your gun permit will not get you a nice reminder letter in the mail as was the practice under British rule. All gun permits must be renewed before a gun owner’s birthday and for up to three years as of 2018 (previously only for one year). Firearm owners that forget to renew their license on time run the risk of being detained by the authorities and incarcerated without recourse to bail for one month.
Gun licenses are possible, but not for transients & losers.
38 spcl works fine for me;
Yes, you must renew in person yearly, but the same is true for renewing your drivers license, dock permit, & vehicle license.

Good point, but Belize is an excellent place to be before/during/after SHTF. Here's why:
- Lowest population density in Caribbean, North or Central America by far;
- Only 40 cases (2 deaths) of C-virus in the entire country due to borders closed & other measures;
- English speaking;
- Part of the British Commonwealth, so stable govt;
- Very low taxes;
- Very little govt interference with anything;
- Lotsa off-grid expats, farmers & preppers from USA, Canada, UK, etc.;
- People here have been off-grid for centuries, and know how to do it;
- NO pollution;
- Mostly cash & barter economy;
- You can get firearm license if you don't have an Interpol police record;

It isn't for everybody, but we like it here. We come & go as we please.
I know, I've been to Belize. It has one major flaw, no Bill of rights. There's places in the U.S. that has all of what Belize has to offer. Id say its the second best country in the Americas.

Hi, new member here:

Totally off-grid;
Fruit orchards;

We eat well, but,

A 48 volt system is impressive...what type of inverter? AC and shop tools have high current draws, how do you cool the batteries? Hi
Thanks. We have 2 Outback inverters & Charge Controllers./ 65 PV panels (25 on the roof, the rest on a ground array), 24 Industrial 2000aH Flooded Lead Acid batteries. The batteries are in a ventilated control room with exhaust fan. They don't overheat. We even use a 220v welder, but we are careful not to run the dishwasher, AC or other hi-draw equipment at the same time, and only on sunny days

We started out with a 2kW "WhisperJet" wind turbine. It was nice to have nighttime recharging, but over time storms and age diminished and finally knocked down the wind turbine. Dollar to kilowatt, solar power is cheaper than wind, with less moving parts. So no more wind power here.
Thanks... information that I can tap into.. Thanks again....

Bought a Sterile Sutures Thread kit- hope I don’t ever need it
Being able to sew up a wound is a reasonably easy skill to learn and Can make all the difference in the world to help a wound heal and not get infected. I have many suture packs that have expired but feel they are still better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back