what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just made a big batch of jerky in the smoker today, sweet and spicy but not too hot. Its great for traveling and camping, if it lasts that long. Also put up several jars of hot pickles. I add jalapenos, habaneros, ghost pepper and some Thai chilies to the pickling brine. Sometimes it seems there's more peppers than pickles.

Just made a big batch of jerky in the smoker today, sweet and spicy but not too hot. Its great for traveling and camping, if it lasts that long. Also put up several jars of hot pickles. I add jalapenos, habaneros, ghost pepper and some Thai chilies to the pickling brine. Sometimes it seems there's more peppers than pickles.
Jerky dosent seem to last around my house either. I can snack on it about all day long! Kind of sounds like you're smoking pickles too :). On the upside, I just read an article about spicey foods helping you become more cancer resistant! You're probably going to live forever now.

Given that I had to curtail one of my gardens this year due to weather (no snow pack and record hot days) and given that the three lakes west of me are at record lows in effect heating the water to the point of killing fish (no fishing) the pond I put in and stocked with trout is extremely low leaving me with a decision to let nature take its course as preserving my well water for us and the animals. We here are in what is classified by the USGS 'Sever Hydrologic Drought' and the way things look we may be heading towards an Indian Summer, things ain't looking good at the moment.

We decided to increase our long term freeze dried food and above ground water storage adding additional 6 month.

Given that I had to curtail one of my gardens this year due to weather (no snow pack and record hot days) and given that the three lakes west of me are at record lows in effect heating the water to the point of killing fish (no fishing) the pond I put in and stocked with trout is extremely low leaving me with a decision to let nature take its course as preserving my well water for us and the animals. We here are in what is classified by the USGS 'Sever Hydrologic Drought' and the way things look we may be heading towards an Indian Summer, things ain't looking good at the moment.

We decided to increase our long term freeze dried food and above ground water storage adding additional 6 month.
I've read about condensation machines that pull moisture out of the air. It may come down to something like that out west if things don't get better.

I've read about condensation machines that pull moisture out of the air. It may come down to something like that out west if things don't get better.

I've read about atmospheric water generator though a little spending at $2000 these things will produce 2-5gal a day..... I value my marriage and choose not to get my throat cut given I am retired now :) though that may be the only option some of us have.

I've read about atmospheric water generator though a little spending at $2000 these things will produce 2-5gal a day..... I value my marriage and choose not to get my throat cut given I am retired now :) though that may be the only option some of us have.
Yeah, I understand. I hadn't heard a price, but figure it wouldn't be cheap. I am a little disappointed on the output though. The article I read was for it to go into an area after a hurricane, when public utilities are down, producing drinking water. In that situation there would be loads of moisture in the air, so hopefully better output. I guess out west right now you might have higher amounts early in the morning, but not much to pull during the heat of the day.

Ya, I was hoping for better output but only 2-5gal a day makes it hard to justify the 2k price tag, from 3:30- 6:30am is best for pulling moisture here
My whole life has been really easy as when I turned on a faucet, clean drinking water flowed, and when I flipped a switch, the lights came on. It's really easy to take these two things for granted, when so much of the world doesn't have these conviences. I have backups in place, but they are mostly for short term disruptions, like storms or other natural disasters. Long term would be a hard adjustment.

Ya, I was hoping for better output but only 2-5gal a day makes it hard to justify the 2k price tag, from 3:30- 6:30am is best for pulling moisture here
My geography sucks, as in school I was mostly thinking about girls, but I thought that Washington was kept moist and warm by the impact of the Peugeot Sound. It just occurred to me that the Rockies probably separate the climate. Are you east of the mountains?

Yeah, I understand. I hadn't heard a price, but figure it wouldn't be cheap. I am a little disappointed on the output though. The article I read was for it to go into an area after a hurricane, when public utilities are down, producing drinking water. In that situation there would be loads of moisture in the air, so hopefully better output. I guess out west right now you might have higher amounts early in the morning, but not much to pull during the heat of the day.
I've looked in to these machines too. They may not be too difficult to make if a person is handy. You can probably find plans and a material list on the internet. Even with the drought my 2 springs are still producing steadily. My pond is down about 6' but there is still plenty of water for the fish. My well is 650' deep and produces 25 gal/min. Not likely that it will go dry, I hope. If this drought continues for a few more years then a lot of people will be in real trouble.

Sir if you live in a warm / hot and coastal area you can very often harvest water from the air using very fine netting which when strung out vertically on a frame causes the morning sea dew / hoar / fret / fog to condense onto the netting which then runs down the netting to be collected in guttering and directed into a barrel.

No Energy or expensive outlay needed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-32515558

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arvest-moisture-huge-nets-Chilean-desert.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8297276.stm

My geography sucks, as in school I was mostly thinking about girls, but I thought that Washington was kept moist and warm by the impact of the Peugeot Sound. It just occurred to me that the Rockies probably separate the climate. Are you east of the mountains?

I am west of the Rockies in the cascade mountain range, Puget sound is an inlet to the pacific ocean the sound has little if any impact on the weather here in Washington, generally Washington and Oregon west of the Cascades get plenty of rain kind of why they call us the Evergreen State and Oregon the Beaver State though this year been bad. Olympic rain forest (Olympic national forest) averages 220+ inches a year of rain and now it's burning consuming 2400 acres with 30% contained as of yesterday :(

I am west of the Rockies in the cascade mountain range, Puget sound is an inlet to the pacific ocean the sound has little if any impact on the weather here in Washington, generally Washington and Oregon west of the Cascades get plenty of rain kind of why they call us the Evergreen State and Oregon the Beaver State though this year been bad. Olympic rain forest (Olympic national forest) averages 220+ inches a year of rain and now it's burning consuming 2400 acres with 30% contained as of yesterday :(
True. But east of the Cascades its pretty arid.

I love the Internet! Great link, and amazingly simple to construct. I imagine the electricity used is cost prohibitive for the amount of water produced, but it's a really good thing to know.

They claim .09 cents per hour to run and produces 4 gal water per 12 hours at 82% humidity. I think it could easily be run off a small solar panel/battery setup. This could be something worthwhile to have put away for a real water emergency.

They claim .09 cents per hour to run and produces 4 gal water per 12 hours at 82% humidity. I think it could easily be run off a small solar panel/battery setup. This could be something worthwhile to have put away for a real water emergency.
If your figures are correct, then it could be worthwhile. I'll look to see what the amp/wattage is on one at the store before I believe it though. I always thought a dehumidifier worked along the same principal as an air conditioner, which are big power hungry monsters. I'll let you know. Also, 4 gals is pretty darned good.

Latest posts

Back