What are you working on RIGHT now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking for chest-of-draws for a diffrent room yes.(BUT) what i need in the laundry room needs to be 35 inchs wide,33 inchs deep,and 7 feet tall..now putting doors on it later on if needed is good idea thoe

i have some butcher and pocket knives that i got from my dad when he passed away in 1998..been working on geting them sharpend up.and i need to decide what'll goes into my b.o.b when im done sharpening them.

Just started on prepping but I have some prepper-friendly projects I have been working on like sewing my own clothing and stocking up on stuff for a planned trip to live without power and modern conveniences for two weeks. However, related to prepping, I am learning how to shoot and have started gun shopping for when I have money again in August. I'm also working with my husband to make a shopping list for making bug-out bags and making plans between us and a closely trusted friend and possibly my sister and her family if it is a situation where they can get to us (they live about 30-40 minutes away).
I've been thinking a lot about practicing life without electricity. I'm working on several different prepping projects at a time, yes I'm a little add, I'm going to keep working on systems to help heat water, cook, etc. I've been heating with wood for a while but I do have the central system kicking in in the middle of the night. My next big project will be a solar system with batteries to run my freezer and fridge. Once I get a little more prepared I would like to start trying to go a week at a time without the grid.

We want to put in a chicken coup next spring. My wife wants to get them as chicks, whereas I would rather have egg-laying chickens from the get-go.
Your wife is right on this one. My daughter named and played with the chicks from day 1, now adults , they are so tame you can pick them up , rooster included . I'm no chicken expert, only 15 months into this, happy chickens lay plenty eggs. .Predator proof your coup/run or your just asking for problems. That hot wire was only temporary as my dogs were just TOO interested at first. Old Anorak gave sound advice when I started out. Where is that girl?
20130216_170706.jpg

Last edited:
We want to put in a chicken coup next spring. My wife wants to get them as chicks, whereas I would rather have egg-laying chickens from the get-go.
We bought our day old chicks last spring, 14 total. Yes, we had to wait a few months before they started laying, but at least we know what we have and were able to pick out the best breeds. Now we're getting 8- 12 eggs every day. That's far more eggs than we can eat so we're selling most of them at $3 a dozen. I built the coop and pen next to the garden. All the garden waste goes in the pen, and all the chicken waste goes in to the garden.

i like the way feed the chickend and fertilize the garden..thats good going n smart

Your wife is right on this one. My daughter named and played with the chicks from day 1, now adults , they are so tame you can pick them up , rooster included . I'm no chicken expert, only 15 months into this, happy chickens lay plenty eggs. .Predator proof your coup/run or your just asking for problems. That hot wire was only temporary as my dogs were just TOO interested at first. Old Anorak gave sound advice when I started out. Where is that girl?View attachment 1953
Great coop, and the wire was a great idea. I recently lost most of my hens to neighbors dogs, I'm getting a wire soon!

We bought our day old chicks last spring, 14 total. Yes, we had to wait a few months before they started laying, but at least we know what we have and were able to pick out the best breeds. Now we're getting 8- 12 eggs every day. That's far more eggs than we can eat so we're selling most of them at $3 a dozen. I built the coop and pen next to the garden. All the garden waste goes in the pen, and all the chicken waste goes in to the garden.
Yeah, the chickens make great fertilizer. I mix it in a bucket of water and put it sparingly around the rows, not directly on the plants to keep from burning them.

One thing I continue to work on is building my inventory of arms/ammo. 9mm ammo is hard to come by in my neck of the woods; however, I've noticed quite a bit of .45 mm sitting on the shelves (for now). Solution? Bought a 30 .45 Glock.... gun show's in town so picked up another 2k ammo.

good stuff :) wish I could keep chickens over here. Fish are really my best bet.
Have you considered rabbits? You can call them 'pets' if you have strict zoning laws, just don't name them or it's a lot tougher to enjoy the barbecue. They produce a really good ratio of meat vs cost, and their fertilizer is great straight on the garden.

Have you considered rabbits? You can call them 'pets' if you have strict zoning laws, just don't name them or it's a lot tougher to enjoy the barbecue. They produce a really good ratio of meat vs cost, and their fertilizer is great straight on the garden.

i live in an apartment. If you've ever been to Singapore, most of us live in apartments with little sun (Wrong angles). The place with the most sun is actually the 2 toilets in the house!

But I've considered Rabbits, and might go into them after I've settled some basics. There are some wild chickens in a home near mine. Maybe if the SHTF I might forage them :X

Hmm, seems the wife was right I guess. I just hate having to feed more mouths for no return, but then again, I've heard it isn't expensive to feed them.

We would definitely predator proof it, too many dogs not to. We already do that for the rabbits we keep. Not sure about using the chicken waste for fertilizer though, but I have horse manure anyhow... I do like the circular idea. Our coup wouldn't be far from the garden. Here in FL, I also have to make the coup storm proof. I like to make sure my animals are safe and comfortable, even in a hurricane.

Hmm, seems the wife was right I guess. I just hate having to feed more mouths for no return, but then again, I've heard it isn't expensive to feed them.

We would definitely predator proof it, too many dogs not to. We already do that for the rabbits we keep. Not sure about using the chicken waste for fertilizer though, but I have horse manure anyhow... I do like the circular idea. Our coup wouldn't be far from the garden. Here in FL, I also have to make the coup storm proof. I like to make sure my animals are safe and comfortable, even in a hurricane.
Chicken waste is much better fertilizer than horse manure. Whatever weeds the horses are eating, the seeds will pass through and grow wherever you put the horse manure. If you compost the horse manure then it should be ok for fertilizer. Just don't use it fresh.

yeah chicken manure is better,there's 2 hay fields behind where i live.they use chicken manure on them.i got 3 five gallon buckets of it last year.and used it on parts of my yard.next year i plan on doing the same for my garden..

Chicken waste is much better fertilizer than horse manure. Whatever weeds the horses are eating, the seeds will pass through and grow wherever you put the horse manure. If you compost the horse manure then it should be ok for fertilizer. Just don't use it fresh.
I have heard about the weeds and grass seeds passing thru horses and cows. The chicken manure is great but you have to be careful from it being too strong. Dilute it!!! I think using what you have available is smart, and use as many different things as you can. I'm keeping logs of what I use each season, and whatever is working gets repeated. Unfortunately by the time I figure out how to be a great Gardner I'll be too old to garden!

I'm not sure about diluting chicken manure.to me,it's just a matter of being careful about how much you add to the garden and where..especially if you have fertile soil to begin with.

the only thing I am doing now is losing weight and hunting down ideas for a new hobby/crafting skill... I have candle making, basket weaving, writing how to's and remedies info in binders sort of like prepping scrapbooks, like maps with routs and alternative routs to bug out locations, how to remedies of essential oils, and how to crafts like sewing clothing, these are my ideas so far I havent done it yet. and yes I am an expert at run about sentences.

Latest posts

Back