This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might work. We have a large west facing window where it would fit. During summer they can go out on the deck. I like the little oranges, mandarins I think.

So far I haven’t seen any dwarf mandarins, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. And now that you say that, those are my favorite type of orange! The west window would be great. My daughter has hers in a wide west facing window and she has had zero problems.

Dwarf Meyer lemons are pretty hardy. We were given a potted one a year ago. First spot was too much sun.
Moved to a less full sun and blossomed out. Didn’t care for the wind In that spot. Looked and blossoms on it now.
At least in a pot you can move around. Or inside for the winter.

I'm thinking of getting a lemon tree now. Mine would have to winter inside. Do you think the Meyer would be the best? Don't want to get scurvy

My Meyer Lemon is the one doing the best. The lemons are oh so sweet too! It is because they aren’t a true lemon. They are a mixture of a lemon and a sweet orange.

Don’t blame you on the scurvy! LOL. Being in the areas we are, citrus would never survive outside in the winter.

For those growing bigger gardens and more long term storage vegetables here is a great place to buy baskets to store your all those goodies in. They work well in root cellars and basements.

1649965938318.png

https://texasbasket.com/product-category/applebaskets/

I get snow 2-3 times a year and 2-3 more nights where I will get a hard frost. It will almost always get up to 50 in the day.
We have an orange, lemon and lime tree and they have survived about 15 years+ judging from their size. I think Limes need 2 trees for good pollination and yield
Had a dwarf blood orange, but it didn’t survive being girdled by the weed whacker (not me)
Seems to me that some of you could have some citrus, just maybe not Arcticdude.

Last edited:
I get snow 2-3 times a year and 2-3 more nights where I will get a hard frost. It will almost always get up to 50 in the day.
We have an orange, lemon and lime tree and they have survived about 15 years+ judging from their size. I think Limes need 2 trees for good pollination and yield
Had a dwarf blood orange, but it didn’t survive being girdled by the weed whacker (not me)
Seems to me that some of you could have some citrus, just maybe not Articdude.
Wait a minute, we usually have 2 months without snow. Our last snow is usually in June, first snow in September. It doesn't last though, but we do have snow on the ground from November through April.

Wait a minute, we usually have 2 months without snow. Our last snow is usually in June, first snow in September. It doesn't last though, but we do have snow on the ground from November through April.
I lived in that climate most of my life in WNY. You know, the weather area that made Buffalo infamous.
I know the joys and the hardships of where you are. Just glad to be in the mountains where it isn’t as tough. 😀

Hey Georgia Peach...TN settlements are in: Belvidere, Cottage Grove, Crossville, Deer Lodge, Ethridge, Huntingdon, Lafayette, McKenzie, Olive Hill, Paris, Pleasantville, Rutherford, Sparta, Stantonville, Summertown, Tellico Plains, and Whiteville. Georgia has two settlements: Montezuma and Resaca.

Hey Georgia Peach...TN settlements are in: Belvidere, Cottage Grove, Crossville, Deer Lodge, Ethridge, Huntingdon, Lafayette, McKenzie, Olive Hill, Paris, Pleasantville, Rutherford, Sparta, Stantonville, Summertown, Tellico Plains, and Whiteville. Georgia has two settlements: Montezuma and Resaca.

My oh my they are everywhere!!! Luv that. Very much appreciate the information too. Everyone needs to keep the Amish in mind as valuable Trading Partners.

But, most people in Middle TN go to the Amish in Southern KY to get their produce. I don't know why.

There are also Mennonite settlements in Muddy Pond , TN with a large store, apiary and many carpenters, leather workers and such. I get my dog harnesses and leashes made there. For Produce there is an excellent farm in Clarkrange, TN ( Clear Creek) that does a bang up business selling produce and lumber, trusses, milk, eggs, honey etc.

There are also Mennonite settlements in Muddy Pond , TN with a large store, apiary and many carpenters, leather workers and such. I get my dog harnesses and leashes made there. For Produce there is an excellent farm in Clarkrange, TN ( Clear Creek) that does a bang up business selling produce and lumber, trusses, milk, eggs, honey etc.

That is valuable information DD. It was nice of you to share it.

My oh my they are everywhere!!! Luv that. Very much appreciate the information too. Everyone needs to keep the Amish in mind as valuable Trading Partners.
I wouldn't count too much on the Amish after SHTF. In my experience in doing business with them, and the Mennonites, is they are very clickish. Its not likely that they would be willing to trade with outsiders too much after SHTF. Thats just my feelings with them from buying and selling draft horses and farm equipment in north Idaho and Canada. Dont know what they're like back east.

I was watching the Appalachian Homestead person, PatAra and she made a good point.

We all say how we can always go out and kill some game, but EVERYONE will be saying that and it won't take long for the herds and flocks to start thinning.

Even where we are, I don’t want anyone going out hunting. Too much of a chance of being shot by accident from so many hungry hunters. Now if you have hundreds of acres of private land, that you KNOW people can’t get to, that is a different story.

I wouldn't count too much on the Amish after SHTF. In my experience in doing business with them, and the Mennonites, is they are very clickish. Its not likely that they would be willing to trade with outsiders too much after SHTF. Thats just my feelings with them from buying and selling draft horses and farm equipment in north Idaho and Canada. Dont know what they're like back east.
Back east in NY, the Mennonites are very interactive. They have their own farmers market that people flock too.
They also come to community garage sales and buy all the baby clothes for their secondhand shops.
They build the best barns and you don’t have to worry about insurance or being sued.
The first time I walked in my barn, I said Mennonites built this. I have have several friends from back east say the same.

Back east in NY, the Mennonites are very interactive. They have their own farmers market that people flock too.
They also come to community garage sales and buy all the baby clothes for their secondhand shops.
They build the best barns and you don’t have to worry about insurance or being sued.
The first time I walked in my barn, I said Mennonites built this. I have have several friends from back east say the same.

My son has a farm that the Amish built the house and barns. They do an amazing job at building! That house is strong as well as tight.

Latest posts

Back