This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just go some strawberries planted and the "she" decided it was too much work weeding the flower garden and so after doing the weeding, I just spread grass seed out to close the holes in the garden where the weeds come up. We should have a "garden" with veggies, a "garden" with flowers and grass, and a "garden" with only grass where we walk around and the dog can run. (why do it easy, when you can make it complicated!!)

Getting a good test of our short term backup power system. Power has been out for about 9 hours. The battery bank is at 12.5 v. It got down to 12.2 v when all the fridge and freezer compressors were running simultaneously, then went back up. We aren't really using much power right now. Lights we're using are all battery powered and we're using the gas stove for cooking and making coffee. Cool enough that we don't even need fans so I think we could go another 9 hours without the genny, but the power company is promising restoration within the next two hours.

They pushed back the restoration time to 2:00 so I got tired of waiting around and went shopping for a new UPS for the computer. The last outage killed it completely and it doesn't have enough power to do a safe shutdown anymore. Their biggest one was on sale so I jumped on that. When I get time I'll take the battery in from the old one and replace it, but now I have a BIG ARSE battery backup for the computer. Since the power went out several hours before I woke up, every UPS in the house ran down to zero battery. I usually shut them all down in a power outage.

Anywho...When I got back it was 2:15 and the power was still off.
I said "Well, it's 2:00..." and the INSTANT that came out of my mouth, the lights came back on, LOL!

I think my wife might be buying in. A couple weeks ago she researched butter supply long term. 6 cans of butter showed up.
Told her what I thought about poultry and egg supply. 6 cans of powdered eggs showed up.
Its been nice being right the past 2 years, just wish I wasn’t right.

I think my wife might be buying in. A couple weeks ago she researched butter supply long term. 6 cans of butter showed up.
Told her what I thought about poultry and egg supply. 6 cans of powdered eggs showed up.
Its been nice being right the past 2 years, just wish I wasn’t right.

It has to be a mixed feeling, being right after so long and at times negative feelings. Happy she is coming around! I have cans of butter too…as well as a bunch I canned myself. Just ordered a Butter Churn. So excited to try it out!!

Butter churns do take forever. Right now I use a blender. Even a hand mixer will do. But unless you can find cheap or free cream, it's cheaper to buy butter. I just skimmed the cream off the gallon of raw milk I picked up Sunday night from my cousin and it made about a stick of butter. I put it in the freezer for later use. Noticed cream price was way up at Aldi. Butter went from under $2 in December...$3.07 last week, $3.17 this week. For a pound. Heavy cream is a buck more than it was before

Yeah, it is cheaper to buy now, but as you know, it won’t be before long. Also, if the news that the Rail Carriers are going to declare ”Force Majeure” on delivery of Dairy Feed, we are in for a real shortage! I felt like we needed a backup to make butter in case the power goes out and we don’t want to waste the solar or generator on such things. It has been years since I’ve made butter with a churn. My arms were much younger then. :D But I am still looking forward to it!

I’m working on a couple of connections for fresh cow and goat milk. Crossing my fingers they work out!!

Amish Heart, do you know what the closest TN Amish settlement is to Northwest Georgia? Was wanting to go get some things from them and hopefully find out if they will still be selling/trading if things get real bad. What advise do you have for me?

How large does the container need to be?

You can start with a 10” pot, but will have to move up to a 16” pot after a year. So happy I didn’t trim back my Lemon trees as they sprout during the winter. Who knew? LOL Not me anyway. Right now there are at least 40 lemons growing on my big tree and about 10 on the small tree. Would have bought 2 big ones, but all that was left was a small one. It is amazing how fast these trees grow! The larger one is now 6’ tall!

Do you grow it indoors or in your greenhouse?

They winter in the greenhouse and after cold temps are gone I move them outside in front of the greenhouse on river pebbles. My daughter has two that are more bush like and she grows them inside all year long. Hers are about 4 years old now.

I would love to have a couple lemon, lime and orange trees. I just dont think they would make here, even in a greenhouse.

You can grow them inside year round. The dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree would be a good one! Haven’t tried oranges yet, but like you, I want one!!

A Dwarf Valencia Orange and Dwarf Clementine are the ones I’m looking into.

1649949469058.jpeg

You can grow them inside year round. The dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree would be a good one! Haven’t tried oranges yet, but like you, I want one!!
That might work. We have a large west facing window where it would fit. During summer they can go out on the deck. I like the little oranges, mandarins I think.

Latest posts

Back