This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the level of craftsmanship I am talking about. And this barn was built in the 80s Nobody else was doing this for a barn then.
View attachment 15940

These people as a general rule take pride in their work still! 30 years ago I had some oak chairs custom made by an Amish woodworker to go under a table that had been my husband's grandmothers table. I paid a high price for those chairs but with it came a guarantee that if anything happened to those chairs he would repair or replace them. 30 years later his son is still running that business and my chairs are the best I have ever owned still and his son is still honoring that guarantee. You will never find a non Amish furniture store make that guarantee.

These people as a general rule take pride in their work still! 30 years ago I had some oak chairs custom made by an Amish woodworker to go under a table that had been my husband's grandmothers table. I paid a high price for those chairs but with it came a guarantee that if anything happened to those chairs he would repair or replace them. 30 years later his son is still running that business and my chairs are the best I have ever owned still and his son is still honoring that guarantee. You will never find a non Amish furniture store make that guarantee.
I agree and respect their work and craftsmanship. This is the way all things should be built.

My father in law used to sell furniture and when someone ordered custom built from the Amish, he would wait for the guy to send him a postcard telling him the order was ready.

I have a bookcase and China cabinet, both are oak and super heavy.

I quit buying new furniture decades ago. Everything I own is either antique or Amish made. When I downsized into a smaller home I passed much of it down to my children. Modern furniture is just crap! JMHO

Most family furniture is passed down around here. It's been made to last the test of time. Another thing to look for in those communities are auctions. Even our fowl auction each month has other things like building supplies, boxes of excess fruit and veg, and other animals, not just fowl. Amish and Menno communities like to hold alot of auctions. But the ladies like to go to yard sales in non amish communities, and go thrifting. Our thrift store in our little town is the busiest thing in our town.

This is an example of quality. 3/4 have a patent date of 1897. All still function. The small one on the left took some cleaning. I bought it cause it was unusual small size, complete and $15.
The large one on the right was my GGM’s. Used it for years. Think a chunk of my brothers finger went into some sausage with it.
Only posting cause I said I would last week
11F4D11A-0F44-4651-B2D1-D744023741D1.jpeg

This is an example of quality. 3/4 have a patent date of 1897. All still function. The small one on the left took some cleaning. I bought it cause it was unusual small size, complete and $15.
The large one on the right was my GGM’s. Used it for years. Think a chunk of my brothers finger went into some sausage with it.
Only posting cause I said I would last week
View attachment 15942
I have at least two of those.

I've bought quite a few pieces of Amish built furniture, all very excellent quality. I've also bought a lot of stuff from non Amish craftsman with the same high quality. The Amish dont have a monopoly on quality.

Planted a bunch of bedding plants (veggies & herbs) in the garden at our BOL. All were grown in my city garden to give them a head start.

Bad news discovered while planting them out. Our water well pump would not come on. We used it just a week ago, too. We had a soaker hose turned on my recently planted raspberry bushes and we suspect the well reservoir emptied out due to hose leak? or the pump just died? Not sure. But if the resesrvoir emptied out, that could have burned out the pump. We've used soaker hoses on the well before with no issues, so I really think the pump just died. Calling today to get a well guy out to determine if it has to be replaced or just some part needs fixing. Couldn't have happened at a worse time, huh? Just hope we can get someone, as getting services in that very remote area has been extremely difficult for the 5 years we've owned the place. COVID hasn't helped there either. :(

Last edited:
My husband's down at our BOL meeting a well service guy to see if he can fix our well pump. Stopped working last week. Timing couldn't have been worse. At least we GOT him to come out. Obtaining services in that remote area has been very difficult these past 5 years. Hope it's just maybe a part that needs replacing, but may have to replace the pump itself. :( As Roseanne RosannaDanna (Gilda Radnor) used to say on Sat. Nite Live..........'If it's not one thing........it's another!"

Well, the problem with the pump ends up a switch designed to flip on and off to maintain pressure in the reservoir burned out when we used a soaker hose too "open" flow. He can replace the switch. Plus he's installing a different kind of reservoir bladder his gopher is delivering shortly that equalizes the pressure better than the system we currently have that will reduce chance of this happening again in future. AND, he's going to set up the electric current set-up from hard-wired to a plug we can plug into a generator short-term if the grid goes down. All goodness in my book.............All will be done by day's end! I'm very pleased. :)

Last edited:
Got in a big box of canning lids. 840 Ball regular mouth. Paid $2.40 each box of 12. Ordered months and months ago, and they finally could send them and honored the price at order. Noticed they went up to $2.70 a box now for new orders. This is my second box, so I'm set for a good while.

I had called last year I think back in September about having another well drilled on property to run water to outbuildings further out on property...1st well drill co. said they couldn't even give me a date they were so backed up and short of help..actually said they can't get workers? ..2nd. Co. Scheduled for 12/31 1st. Available time.12/31 came and went and they never showed...I moved on to another priority by then and didnt bother calling them back about it . So I've let that go for now. I ordered Iosat-potassium iodide pills back in March...was told be mid April before receipt due to back order...I'm still waiting...I called and they said would be this week but I haven't gotten the email yet saying they are on the way. Also, in regard to the well, I was quoted $4,500. This is Fla. How far do they have to drill? Last time I had one drilled it was $1,200 haa! I think I'll call around just for fun and ask what timeline and price is to have it done this year. 😏

Stopped by the John Deere dealership yesterday to look at some new hay equipment. The wife found a "cute" little tractor that she wants for the garden. Its 4 wheel drive and comes with a loader and rototiller. For $18,000 she'll have to can a lot of green beans.
Good price, my Kubota was $21000

My attempt to set up a worm hotel for fertilizer for my garden at our BOL almost failed today. They had to cancel my order for red wigglers because we're hitting 90º+ all this week. Issued me a refund. But my husband happens to be down in Georgetown today where they are located. He's going to go by and pick them up in person with cash in hand! Problem solved. He has now added a new title to his resume: rancher (for our 42 acres), oil tycoon (for the small lease $$ we get for nearby drilling well, and now...........worm wrangler! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back