This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does make a mess, but I love it anyway. Our woodburning stove is in the kitchen, and we use a number of medium sized wood bins, and one kindling bucket. Still, I sweep the area alot.
We use wood for 99% of our heating. I just finished the wood shed thats about 10 steps from our front deck and it holds 7 cord, at least. We're also stack about a weeks worth of wood next to the front door.

We have a big covered porch with the door going into the kitchen. Have two racks on the porch of dry firewood. So, we don't have to go very far. The rest of the wood is in the yard, but I get on to the grandkids if one porch rack is empty, and then they need to fill it again.

Alot of amish are switching to propane heaters for two reasons. One is that many have their wood burners in the basement, and the elderly amish have a hard time up and down the stairs to keep the heat going. Another is that many of these farmhouses are pretty old (ours is from 1908), and many chimneys haven't bee cleaned correctly or taken care of properly, and then there's the roof fires. So instead of all that plus a new roof, they'll switch to propane.

This week I added 20 pounds of shelled roasted black walnut pieces to the freezer.
Also bought case of Tetley English Blend and a case of Earl Gray to add back to the stash. Yep I am a tea girl :cool:
You just reminded me that I need to crack and freeze about 10 lbs of walnuts too........
I have a dozen types of tea and the Earl Gray and Orange Pekoe are my favorites, Helena can't drink any of it tho, she cannot take any caffein. Camilla, Mint and Rosehips...

got me a hand crank coffee bean grinder and a bag of coffee bean.thinking of trying that tomorrow.
You are gonna love the exercise with the grinder and the flavor of the coffee. I have two different ones here, we get fresh beans, roast the in the oven or in a cast iron pan and the grind them. Super coffee.

We heat with natural gas since it is so cheap and has no work involved. We also have a wood fired heater in the living room and in the garage where we sit with the dog and cat and Helena does not smoke in the house. We only use the wood for keeping the garage warm while sitting out there for hours daily. Got an extra fridge there for cold beer and wine in summer too.

You are gonna love the exercise with the grinder and the flavor of the coffee. I have two different ones here, we get fresh beans, roast the in the oven or in a cast iron pan and the grind them. Super coffee.
I’ve thought about getting a grinder for the beans but have not really thought about roasting the beans as well. I have not looked but is it common for raw beans to be on grocery shelves? I wonder if it would be better to grind them before roasting to evenly heat them more?

I own an manual coffe grinder if the electric power will be missing and i feel like enjoy an fresh brewed coffee.... All my coffee storage is already roasted and the grinder works well with roasted beans.
If you're taking an look to an professional coffee roastery they all are working with the whole beans to roast (proably they are more or less all in same size). I can imagine myself if you try to roast grinded coffee you'll get burnt, extremly black coffeepowder without an nice taste....

Going to start measuring windows at my son’s house today. Going to sew them window quilts for the kids’ rooms and the spare guest bedroom to try to keep the cold out. Then I’ll start on some more for my 1900 farmhouse. Gotta cut propane use down to bare bones usage this year. We have wood stoves but they don’t (rental farmhouse). Already bought the grandkids very heavy blanket sleepers. We have lots of “pajama days” when I babysit!
OK, total ignorance here as I'd never heard of a window quilt before. Is it the same as a bed quilt and you hang it up like a regular curtain? Like these: 12 Instructions with Free Patterns to Make Window Quilt | Guide Patterns How do you fix it in place? If it's in one piece can you roll it up if you want to let light in? (I'm guessing they would make the room totally dark, so you'd be spending more on lighting, but it would probably be a great idea anyway.)

We have the opposite problem here of keeping heat out rather than cold, but I'm wondering if this would work for me. How long does it take you to make one? If I've got a big window could I just fix a bed quilt in place somehow? Do you use the same kind of internal layer as for a bed quilt? Would that be bamboo? You've got me thinking, thinking, thinking, as our hot weather will be here soon.🤔

OK, total ignorance here as I'd never heard of a window quilt before. Is it the same as a bed quilt and you hang it up like a regular curtain? Like these: 12 Instructions with Free Patterns to Make Window Quilt | Guide Patterns How do you fix it in place? If it's in one piece can you roll it up if you want to let light in? (I'm guessing they would make the room totally dark, so you'd be spending more on lighting, but it would probably be a great idea anyway.)

We have the opposite problem here of keeping heat out rather than cold, but I'm wondering if this would work for me. How long does it take you to make one? If I've got a big window could I just fix a bed quilt in place somehow? Do you use the same kind of internal layer as for a bed quilt? Would that be bamboo? You've got me thinking, thinking, thinking, as our hot weather will be here soon.🤔
I don't know exactly what they are referring to as window quilts. I do know that here in the US you can buy thermal window curtains which can be used for insulating windows. So I suppose a quilt could serve the same purpose if hung in a window. I have a sliding glass patio door, which in addition to being a security nightmare, is terrible when it comes to insulation. I have been planning to get some thermal curtains for use in the summer so the electric bill won't be so high because of the air conditioner running constantly. They will also come in handy if we have another "winter storm" like this past winter to keep me nice and warm.

I am from the NE and I never heard this term before. So it is a reasonable question.

If you grind the beans before roasting, none of the chemical reactions that create the flavor compounds will happen because the bean structure is destroyed and all the flavor producing chemicals will evaporate out of the bean instead of reacting.. You will have what is known as "baked" beans.

If you grind the beans before roasting, none of the chemical reactions that create the flavor compounds will happen because the bean structure is destroyed and all the flavor producing chemicals will evaporate out of the bean instead of reacting.. You will have what is known as "baked" beans.

No one will realize it in an soja-latte....

runs 'n hide

iu

(picture off internet)

Window quilts are basically just like a bed quilt 2 pieces of fabric with a batting layer between made to fit tightly in a window opening. They can help to keep cold air out as well as heat out in the summer. I personally make all my drapes myself and prefer to make a thermal shade which is very similar. Two layers of fabric with a thermal layer between. I attach mine to rollers like a traditional roman shade just much heavier.

iu

(picture off internet)

Window quilts are basically just like a bed quilt 2 pieces of fabric with a batting layer between made to fit tightly in a window opening. They can help to keep cold air out as well as heat out in the summer. I personally make all my drapes myself and prefer to make a thermal shade which is very similar. Two layers of fabric with a thermal layer between. I attach mine to rollers like a traditional roman shade just much heavier.
Thank you. I'm definitely going to make some!

100_6160.JPG

Here is the one I make. It is more like a roman shade. Serves several purposes as a blackout blind for those that sleep during the day working shift work. It is great for on the west side of the house to block that strong evening sun that fades rugs and furniture. Mine are somewhat heavy but they have to really hug the wall to seal the window somewhat. The thermal layer in between can usually be found at stores that sell upholstery supplies.

Split some firewood today, rowed the boat around the lake and checked some traps. I'm going to put my jet boat in the barn for the winter.
Its foggy and cold today and I'm not feeling well. Fortunately I've only got a few critters to skin later tonight. Right now I'm going to go inside and lay down in front of the wood stove.

Latest posts

Back