This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one determined squirrel a while back eating the plumbs. If he would eat the whole thing I would have felt better but he would take a bite out of multiple ones. I set a lawn chair in the pole bard and sat very still with a pellet gun across my lap. He made the mistake of forgetting about me after 15 mins or so and the problem was solved. Of course he has about 30 cousins but it was a step in the right direction.

Our two barn cats, Jayrod and Kevin do a great job. A mama cat arrived the other day with 4 babies in tow. They are in the basement, and can go in and out through a little window. The cats know to come in if it's too cold. I never have mice in there. Will be shutting one in the milkhouse soon, though, just for the night. Did that in one of our bigger buildings and it's now mice free for the moment. Another barn cat who is not friendly has taken over the roundtop, which is great because we've had packrats near the tractor and ride em mower.
My special deal for the day, actually for our middle child, our son, who loves cardamom in his coffee. I bought 6 glass jars of it for $1.49 each. A steal.

Worked some on the house today. Not specific to prepping but am trying to finish all repairs and improvements here so I can have less to do later on. Especially if I am right about an economic situation where materials and supplies become a lot worse to obtain.
That's a tandoori oven. The tackiness of the dough makes it sear itself to the sides.

Just went to HARBOR FREIGHT to get another crank/solar lantern. Dont have them. Bummer
I’m not crazy about the quality of much at harbor freight, but their prices are hard to beat. There are some things I don’t need the best quality in, and I do shop there too some. Especially now that I’m retired and want to make sure my savings last as long as I do. I can live with one that won’t last as long now since I’m not going to be using it as hard.

This week I added 20 pounds of shelled roasted black walnut pieces to the freezer. This will make a wonderful addition to oatmeal, trail mixes and my Christmas fudge. Still shelling and roasting them with about 6 five gallon buckets to go.

Also added 12 pounds of dehydrated figs to mylar and put in food safe dried fruit buckets. I like to store my dried fruit in small mylar and then in bucket with gamma lid.

Also added 3 pounds of dehydrated blueberries also in mylar.

I am hoping to find some apples on sale to dehydrate in the near future since I do not grow my own. I have plenty apple sauce canned and pie filling also. But I prefer to dehydrated small chunks for addition to my breakfast oatmeal and to eat out of hand.

Looking for citrus sales to start around Christmas this year. If it drops down low enough I will make some citrus blends in jars and can in a very light syrup. One of my favorites.

Also bought case of Tetley English Blend and a case of Earl Gray to add back to the stash. Yep I am a tea girl :cool:

I’m not crazy about the quality of much at harbor freight, but their prices are hard to beat. There are some things I don’t need the best quality in, and I do shop there too some. Especially now that I’m retired and want to make sure my savings last as long as I do. I can live with one that won’t last as long now since I’m not going to be using it as hard.

Brent I take advantage of their sales. I stock up on things like microfiber cloths and zip ties and assorted hardware. I am not real happy with the life of their small batteries. Also be very cautious. My husband bought a couple jacks there and while using on to jack up and level a small outbuilding it failed. Luckily no one was under there and hurt. Later he saw where they were recalled by the company.

This week I added 20 pounds of shelled roasted black walnut pieces to the freezer. This will make a wonderful addition to oatmeal, trail mixes and my Christmas fudge. Still shelling and roasting them with about 6 five gallon buckets to go.

You have me drooling over the abundance of walnuts and thoughts of Christmas fudge!! :D🎄

Going to start measuring windows at my son’s house today. Going to sew them window quilts for the kids’ rooms and the spare guest bedroom to try to keep the cold out. Then I’ll start on some more for my 1900 farmhouse. Gotta cut propane use down to bare bones usage this year. We have wood stoves but they don’t (rental farmhouse). Already bought the grandkids very heavy blanket sleepers. We have lots of “pajama days” when I babysit!

You are a brute, robinjopo. Way to go.
I did a ton of housecleaning (not prepping, I know), but I did put stair treads on the stairs because I slipped and fell down them last month. The bruising wasn't pretty, and I think these will help. Cleaned up my pantry food prep area where I repackage stuff. Unloaded the dehydrator and refilled it again with tomatoes. This will be a continual project till they are all gone. Lots and lots of green ones

Our temps drop Saturday night so I still have plenty of time to bring up more firewood. It was on my list today but the porch construction ended up being an all day deal. Plus I had to put everything away as calling for rain all day tomorrow. Began installing the vinyl soffit today. Got about half way through. Feels good to see finish work happening but I’m far from being done yet. Once I’m done I’ll build a bench seat that stores firewood in it. I love having fires in the house but it sure makes a mess. I’m doing everything I can to camouflage some of it.

I'm still putting my food saver to work.as well as my new blender.i bought 4LB'S of bacon.in which I fried.then turned that into bacon bits with the blender.then vacuum sealed.. got me a hand crank coffee bean grinder and a bag of coffee bean.thinking of trying that tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back