This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I meant to quote Arctic. He seems to be in the same boat we were in last year when we had to put down our bull. I will edit.

as for you buying hamburger, I completely understand.
The bull is 4 years old. I may take some other cuts too. I'll probably give most of the meat away. I have a steer in the feed lot now that I'll butcher in September and I don't have the freezer space for all this meat.
I've got a vet scheduled to come up next Thursday to look at the bull and see if he thinks he'll ever breed again.

I'm extending my stock of flour a little, because there is a shortage. I also ordered 3 buckets of red hard wheat and 1 bucket of hard white wheat to grind my own if need be, that gives me 8, 5 gallon buckets of red and 5 buckets of white. Each bucket holds 36 lbs.

There is a shortage of aluminum for cans, so soda cans, so Coke and Pepsi are limiting productions to only there popular flavors. Cans of soup are also getting in low supply.

I didn’t know about the flour shortage. Where did you here about it?

Its all over, because of home baking has skyrocketed. Yeast is also scarse.

That makes sense. Guess I just missed it. I’ve been baking a lot too, but I always have. Preppers need to make sure they can start their own yeast and know how to keep it going. Always keep plenty of flour and wheat in buckets. Also have more than a couple of manual grinders.

Its all over, because of home baking has skyrocketed. Yeast is also scarse.
A friend of ours owns a small bakery in town. She had to shut down for awhile because she couldn't get yeast. Some grocery stores had a limit of 1 small packet of yeast. Just another consequence of the China flu scare.

I'm extending my stock of flour a little, because there is a shortage. I also ordered 3 buckets of red hard wheat and 1 bucket of hard white wheat to grind my own if need be, that gives me 8, 5 gallon buckets of red and 5 buckets of white. Each bucket holds 36 lbs.

There is a shortage of aluminum for cans, so soda cans, so Coke and Pepsi are limiting productions to only there popular flavors. Cans of soup are also getting in low supply.

Flour disappeared off the shelves over here during lockdown. It was down to packaging problems rather than a shortage of flour itself. The packing plants could not keep up with demand and flour disappeared off the shelves along with baking powder, baking soda, yeast and other baking ingredients.
Yeast is still difficult to get hold of so I always buy it when I see it now.
It took me a while to replenish the stocks as I normally keep 20lbs of plain, self raising and bread flour in the stores and I'm glad I did because I have only just now managed to get to that level again. I normally practice one out, one in, ha! that was impossible.

I would have no problem doing that! They can be made in cast iron skillets too.
In our family (both sides) we've never known any other way of making cornbread except in a cast iron skillet! I guess I can remember my mother using the cast iron molds for a while when I was young, but went back to making it in a skillet. Both grandmothers used cast iron skillets and my wife has never made it any other way.

In our family (both sides) we've never known any other way of making cornbread except in a cast iron skillet! I guess I can remember my mother using the cast iron molds for a while when I was young, but went back to making it in a skillet. Both grandmothers used cast iron skillets and my wife has never made it any other way.

Same here doc

Latest posts

Back