This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our family (both sides) we've never known any other way of making cornbread except in a cast iron skillet! I guess I can remember my mother using the cast iron molds for a while when I was young, but went back to making it in a skillet. Both grandmothers used cast iron skillets and my wife has never made it any other way.
We grew up eating cornbread made in cast iron skillets. Our neighbor would make it for us sometimes. My mom would make it in a baking pan so we ate that too, but I really don't think you can beat old-fashioned corn bread from a cast iron skillet.

Our junior bull run off last night. I don't even know where to start looking for him. Oh well he'll turn up somewhere.
The wife and I have been doing some serious talking about making some major changes here. We started looking at property up north near our kids. They live near a couple large rivers and a big lake. The wife has finially convinced me that at my age I shouldn't be putting up 100 ton of hay, maintaining miles of fencing, branding and castrating and chasing bulls all without help. I think she's right.
I know that has to be heartbreaking. You have done so many improvements there and just finally able to move into your home. But I can understand the getting older part and you really cant do it all on your own. If something happened while you were out and about checking fences or cattle no one knows to go looking for you when you are at home alone. Maybe if you do move you can still do some of these things you love but on a smaller scale. Raise a cow or two for slaughter, just not a large heard. And you can still do your chickens and ducks with no problems. Do a greenhouse and have your garden with some fruit trees. But you could be around your family, especially those grand kids. As Granny always said, getting older is for the birds. . .

I’ve thought about moving to a better area for retirement too. The problem is I have this place just about complete and it’s taken years. I’m not sure I want to undertake this kind of a project again. Not to mention all the mature grape vines, apples, plumbs, cherries, pears, figs, blue berries and blackberries. It took five years for most of these to really start producing.

I’ve thought about moving to a better area for retirement too. The problem is I have this place just about complete and it’s taken years. I’m not sure I want to undertake this kind of a project again. Not to mention all the mature grape vines, apples, plumbs, cherries, pears, figs, blue berries and blackberries. It took five years for most of these to really start producing.
I understand that. My plans are to have everything built and planted before we sell this place. The only thing that I want to do is layout the buildings, orchard and garden and pick out the colors and plants. We'll split our time between there and here until we sell. We'll need a smaller tractor and implements for the new place so I'll sell my current equipment with the ranch.
My daughter thinks we need a house boat. She found a "cozy" 78 footer for sale. I told her to keep looking.

I understand that. My plans are to have everything built and planted before we sell this place. The only thing that I want to do is layout the buildings, orchard and garden and pick out the colors and plants. We'll split our time between there and here until we sell. We'll need a smaller tractor and implements for the new place so I'll sell my current equipment with the ranch.
My daughter thinks we need a house boat. She found a "cozy" 78 footer for sale. I told her to keep looking.

Arctic my husband and I were exactly in your same position 6 years ago. 70 acres and a new house less than 10 years old. Established fruit trees, berries and gardens. Outbuildings for pigs, goats, chickens and cows. Stocked ponds. My husband was burning off a thicket and stumps and the fire back blew and flared on him. Called 911 and no one showed. No fire dept, no medical help. My teenage daughter and I put out the fire ourselves and drove my husband almost 2 hours to a hospital with a burn unit. He almost lost both hands. For almost 6 months I had to do both our work. We then realized it was time. All the kids were gone but the youngest and she was ready to fly. It was hard walking away but the best thing we ever did. We actually have time to spend together. We have the same things we had there (except cows) pretty well just on a smaller scale.

I know here on the property given my age, stroke and getting busted up, if the kids wasn't here living on the property we would have had to sell everything, no way one person could have taken care of everything from prepping for fire season to prepping for winter. When life changing events takes place one's perspective becomes very clear. When I hear my Wife silently cry at night I realized in the end, she is going to have to deal with this shit.

As they say, we ain't young and stupid anymore, we are old and stupid that needs to wise up. Ya I know, the stubbornness some of us have.

Our priorities change as we go thru life as well. What we thought we wanted earlier just isn’t important later on sometimes. I think quality of life is the most important thing. I’m not ready for the nursing home by any means but have definitely slowed down. I have also come to realize that there are some projects around here that I just won’t ever get completed. I’m actually ok with that though.

Our priorities change as we go thru life as well. What we thought we wanted earlier just isn’t important later on sometimes. I think quality of life is the most important thing. I’m not ready for the nursing home by any means but have definitely slowed down. I have also come to realize that there are some projects around here that I just won’t ever get completed. I’m actually ok with that though.

Brent for us we were just TOO far off the beaten path. Living rurally is great until you need help. When you get older and develop health issues or even have an accident most rural emergency services (fire/police/ambulance) have been cut to the bone. If they were there in the first place. When you are having a heart attack and know that no one will be able to get to you in time it just changes your perspective. Most couples today the man is older than the woman. Statistically women outlive men. When and if something happens to you can your wife carry on by herself? I know what it was like to homeschool my daughter, take care of the house, garden, cooking, livestock and laundry and ride a bush hog for 6 hours in the heat. Or cut and bail hay. Or repair fences. Because my husband could not. I do not want to be doing that at 80. The kids have moved all over the country. All 5 kids have college educations. 4 are married. Three own their own businesses. Not one kid was coming back to those woods to live. They were chasing their dreams and that is the way it should be. My husbands goal he wanted a property that he could mow in 1 hour. The ambulance is 8 minutes away the hospital 25 max. Smaller house, smaller property and smaller responsibility. We still garden and can and have a few chickens, ducks and rabbits. We just buy our beef and pork direct from a younger farmer. No more blizzards with 8 foot snow drifts. Lots more fishing and visiting kids and grandkids.

Last edited:
Ordered 200 assorted sizes of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers plus additional vacuum seal bags since they are disappearing from stores entirely. That should hold me awhile. Already have plenty canning lids and rings.

I need to do the same.

We tried running the range bull off again today. After a couple hours of looking we found him hiding in a patch of timber. The bull went crazy and took after the kid that was helping me and knocked his horse over and rolled them both on the ground. The kid got dragged by his horse for a ways and is pretty beat up. I gave his some medicine (beer) and I think he'll be ok. He took a couple beers for the ride home just to be sure.
We'll try again in a few days with more horses and more dogs. Or maybe a bullet.

I had today off even though it was very hot out, I had managed to mow the lawn. Added shelving in pantry , wife continues rotating and organizing our food supplies. I made a trip to the grocery store I work at to Purchase bulk supplies. Then another trip across the parking lot to the dollar sore and bulk up on items I got at cheaper prices.

We tried running the range bull off again today. After a couple hours of looking we found him hiding in a patch of timber. The bull went crazy and took after the kid that was helping me and knocked his horse over and rolled them both on the ground. The kid got dragged by his horse for a ways and is pretty beat up. I gave his some medicine (beer) and I think he'll be ok. He took a couple beers for the ride home just to be sure.
We'll try again in a few days with more horses and more dogs. Or maybe a bullet.

Is the ranger bull yours arctic?

Sounds to me like that bull is begging for a lead pill.

Latest posts

Back