This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest crazy. I just purchased a weapon light for the shotgun I don't have yet. It was $24.99 but with special discount code, it cost $20.00, plus tax. It is not a long range light, only 200 lumen but came will pressure pad switch and mounting tape, plus a pic rail mount. I did test it out and for home defense or backyard bumps in the night, it is plenty bright enough. I do wish all these new gun buyers would slow down. The next two rifles I want are all out of stock and no dates for restocking. That is my excuse for the light before the weapon. o_O:rolleyes:
I got an extra clip a while back and noticed the gun store was nearly empty. They said even they were having problems getting inventory.

Well I must have some kind of mental issue (no comments from the peanut gallery). I just bought a scope for the Ruger Precision Rimfire I don't have. SWFA dot com is having a sale and I got my scope for 10 percent off and free shipping. The scope was normally sold for a great price at $299.97. Now for $269.95. Granted it was only about a $30 savings but for an El Cheapo like me, that was a motivator. LOL The scope is the SWFA 20 x 42 fixed power scope. Now if only Basspro or Cabelas would get the rifle back in stock, I would be a happy camper.

Well I must have some kind of mental issue (no comments from the peanut gallery). I just bought a scope for the Ruger Precision Rimfire I don't have. SWFA dot com is having a sale and I got my scope for 10 percent off and free shipping. The scope was normally sold for a great price at $299.97. Now for $269.95. Granted it was only about a $30 savings but for an El Cheapo like me, that was a motivator. LOL The scope is the SWFA 20 x 42 fixed power scope. Now if only Basspro or Cabelas would get the rifle back in stock, I would be a happy camper.
I’ve always said I’d make a lousy millionaire or celebrity. Even with money to burn I would never waste ten thousand on a room for the night or a thousand for a bottle of wine. I’ve always felt that when you save money by buying something on sale that is a little less that you had to earn.

I have upgrade my freezer situation I now have around 11 cubic ft of freezer space total,,,,,I have 100 lbs of chicken now,,,,I have a hog to slaughter that will yield around 140 lbs,I wanted to put 1/2 a cow in the freezer but the cost and nowhere to get one processed has made me rethink this,,I am going hamburger 100 lbs minimum it can still be had if you look for $3.00 a pound,,,,I just talked to a fellow who is getting ready to process 10 head,half a cow with processing cost would be around $750,,,and would only yield around 150 lbs,and close to half that would be hamburger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so hamburger it is,,,,,with 100 lbs of chicken,,,140 lbs of pork,with what I currently have + 100 lbs of hamburger= 135 lbs,,,,I will not run out of meat anytime soon,,,,,,,add in a chit load of dry goods and all is well here in Sharp County

there it is,,,,all I need to do is follow through

Ordered a Yamaha EF6300iSDE 220v inverter generator 5500 running watts/6300 starting watts and a propane conversion with switch to run propane or gas, at a 1/4 load it will run 14hrs (gas) on 4.5gal. noise level 58~64db much quieter than the old generator it's replacing.

Practically everything I have in the house runs on gas, range, oven, heat, water heater, frig, freezer so no heavy loads. All my lights are LED What I need the inverter generator is for sensitive equipment such as computers, microwave, TVs, Satellite, basement dehumidifier and lights and I do have one electric 32cu ft fridge. The generator I'm using now is big, loud 82db~84db and fuel hungry. The computers are on battery backup (for two hours) so instead of shutting them down when on the older generator we could keep them on with the inverter, that makes the wife happy and grandkids when over here.

I saw groceries were up 6% from last year but it seems like a lot more than that to me. Stocking up is a good idea.
I stocked up at the start of this I think it was early March I have barely put a dent in what I already had,,,now with the new freezer I can load up big time,,,maybe 18 month supply on hand most likely longer,,,,,,,,,,,I plan on having food when no one else does,,,,,

I’ve always said I’d make a lousy millionaire or celebrity. Even with money to burn I would never waste ten thousand on a room for the night or a thousand for a bottle of wine. I’ve always felt that when you save money by buying something on sale that is a little less that you had to earn.
"ten thousand for a room for the night"? It would depend on the number of hookers that came with it whether it was a bargain. And a "thousand for a bottle of wine"? You are cheap Brent.

I stocked up at the start of this I think it was early March I have barely put a dent in what I already had,,,now with the new freezer I can load up big time,,,maybe 18 month supply on hand most likely longer,,,,,,,,,,,I plan on having food when no one else does,,,,,

Caution on freezer stocking!! I recently lost one of my two freezers and had to throw away a lot of meat and frozen produce. If you are going to stock a lot in a freezer, get an audible temp. alarm. JMHO

I picked up 20 lbs of hamburger today and added to my dry goods,I am up to 55 lbs of hamburger on hand,I need to double that
Too bad you live so far away GG. It looks like I'll soon have about 1,200 pounds of hamburger when I butcher our bull. I'll be donating a lot of it to the senior center.

I saw groceries were up 6% from last year but it seems like a lot more than that to me. Stocking up is a good idea.
you are right I have seen some price increases but I make good money and can deal with the increase except for BEEF that has gone through the roof,,,,if you don't raise you own beef I don't see how anyone can afford anything but hamburger,,,,and most of it is over $5.00 a pound

I'm extending my stock of flour a little, because there is a shortage. I also ordered 3 buckets of red hard wheat and 1 bucket of hard white wheat to grind my own if need be, that gives me 8, 5 gallon buckets of red and 5 buckets of white. Each bucket holds 36 lbs.

There is a shortage of aluminum for cans, so soda cans, so Coke and Pepsi are limiting productions to only there popular flavors. Cans of soup are also getting in low supply.

I'm extending my stock of flour a little, because there is a shortage. I also ordered 3 buckets of red hard wheat and 1 bucket of hard white wheat to grind my own if need be, that gives me 8, 5 gallon buckets of red and 5 buckets of white. Each bucket holds 36 lbs.

There is a shortage of aluminum for cans, so soda cans, so Coke and Pepsi are limiting productions to only there popular flavors. Cans of soup are also getting in low supply.
I found out about the shortage yesterday,,,,,it came as a surprise

Why just hamburger? Not sure how old your bull is but when we had to butcher ours, those were the best hamburgers. He was around 7 yrs old. You get more of a beefy flavor and the meat was darker.
well it boils down to cost,,,,,even if you butcher your own cow you end up with a lot of hamburger over all cost and final yield of a cow puts you around $5.00 a pound,,,,I can still get hamburger at the store for $3.00 and under per pound,,,yesterday I got 20lbs for $2.50 per pound,,,simple math,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10lbs tubes for $24.95 each at Walmart

well it boils down to cost,,,,,even if you butcher your own cow you end up with a lot of hamburger over all cost and final yield of a cow puts you around $5.00 a pound,,,,I can still get hamburger at the store for $3.00 and under per pound,,,yesterday I got 20lbs for $2.50 per pound,,,simple math,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10lbs tubes for $24.95 each at Walmart
Sorry I meant to quote Arctic. He seems to be in the same boat we were in last year when we had to put down our bull. I will edit.

as for you buying hamburger, I completely understand.

I was talking with hunny yesterday on our way home from the beach. He was telling me that there is some type of gadget (sorry dont know name) you can attach to a tractor that can lift 6 square bails at once to stack but they have to all be side by side. We deal with round bales here. Tractor with a hay spear, no problem.
I think it's a bale accumulator. The ones I've seen around here pick up 8 bales. The place I'm getting my hay now will load 30 bales at a time on my trailer. They agreed to keep my hay in their barns until I can pick it up. Not many people make small bales around here any more. Mostly 600-2000 pound square bales. I have very little flat ground here so large bales are hard for me to move and stack without tipping the tractor over. I get it up on 2 wheels too often now.

Latest posts

Back