This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent my husband (the yankee) likes jiffy mix too. That is what his mama made. He also wasn't a rice eater when I met him but rather potatoes. But I have won him over to the no sugar variety. He now eats rice like a pig and loves my Louisiana cooking (or else ) . Smart man ;)
My mother was a saint, but not a chef.... I grew up eating jiffy mix too.

Let me guess! Cream of Wheat??
Actually I’m not a grit fan in any form. I’ve tried to like em but they just seem like eating polystyrene... I did buy some Flavored Quaker oatmeal packs That I’ll try soon but no on the cream of wheat either. I mostly eat pretty healthy stuff and know grits seem like good stuff but just never got a taste for them.

I like grits and butter, oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins and honey. Sometimes rice with over easy eggs. Don't eat cereal. Never have, my Mom always cooked 3 meals a day so got used to all home cooked meals. My kids do not eat cereal either.
my mom heated a package of ramen noodles in the microwave and split it between my sister and I for breakfast. I do remember some canned biscuits every now and again.

honestly it is a wonder I learned how to cook. :)

Dad always told us boys from a young age. "If your mom is unable to cook for you, you cook, if your mom is unable to do the dishes, you do the dishes, if your mom is unable to put the dishes away, you put the dishes away, if your mom is unable to do the laundry, you do the laundry, if your mom is unable to put the laundry away, you put the laundry away, if your mom is unable to iron, you do the ironing, if your mom is unable to sew the button, you sew the button. Your mom isn't always going to be here for you, it's best you learn that now."

Dad always told us boys from a young age. "If your mom is unable to cook for you, you cook, if your mom is unable to do the dishes, you do the dishes, if your mom is unable to put the dishes away, you put the dishes away, if your mom is unable to do the laundry, you do the laundry, if your mom is unable to put the laundry away, you put the laundry away, if your mom is unable to iron, you do the ironing, if your mom is unable to sew the button, you sew the button. Your mom isn't always going to be here for you, it's best you learn that now."

I raised 3 boys Mav and all 5 of my kids had chores. They rotated each week between the 5 kids. They included laundry, washing dishes and different housework chores including light cooking. I am proud that all 3 of my boys are better trained at housework than their wives. And the wives will tell you that.

I do most of the cooking at my house (Wifey tries but has no imagination when it comes to cooking). I like ramen noodles. I keep little cans of chicken around that I add to the noodles. I also keep a few of the small bags or frozen vegs that I also toss in. With the addition of chicken and vegetables they make a good little meal. I really like real cornbread (like mamma used to make) but I keep boxes of Jiffy around too for a quick meal. Yep, a little too sweet but convenient.

I raised 3 boys Mav and all 5 of my kids had chores. They rotated each week between the 5 kids. They included laundry, washing dishes and different housework chores including light cooking. I am proud that all 3 of my boys are better trained at housework than their wives. And the wives will tell you that.

In recent years I'm been hearing a lot of boys and men say 'that's a women job' ya, that wouldn't hold water around here.

In recent years I'm been hearing a lot of boys and men say 'that's a women job' ya, that wouldn't hold water around here.

Down here in southern Louisiana, we have a long tradition of the men knowing how to cook. I do most of the real cooking at my house. I'm a Cajun and we can and will cook anything that was living.

Our junior bull run off last night. I don't even know where to start looking for him. Oh well he'll turn up somewhere.
The wife and I have been doing some serious talking about making some major changes here. We started looking at property up north near our kids. They live near a couple large rivers and a big lake. The wife has finially convinced me that at my age I shouldn't be putting up 100 ton of hay, maintaining miles of fencing, branding and castrating and chasing bulls all without help. I think she's right.

Latest posts

Back