The Great American Black Bear

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaterielGeneral

Reaction score
I got a fricken bear coming to my house and tearing up the garbage. My wife said to put the garbage in the garage but I wonder if it will try to get into the garage to get it. My exterior door to the garage has a big window in it.

I decided to play a little bit and put game cameras up. I had them to far away so I had to reposition them but it hasn't returned. This was Saturday. I also put up a couple of the Dollar Tree window/door alarms that I converted to trip wire alarms. Last night I had to take the garbage to the curb. So tonight I'm hooking up the alarms and turning on the game cameras. Once I get a good video and/or pictures then I'm going to really put forth an effort to get the bear to not want to come around.

I have to call the DNR to see what they have to say, options and legal avenues I can deploy. I don't want to kill the bear but I'm not going to deal with it trying to get into the house.

good luck with it.and deffently make sure,that no one gets attacked..

good luck with it.and deffently make sure,that no one gets attacked..
Yeah, the first time it got in the garbage my daughter was staying the weekend visiting and she walked outside to smoke one of those electronic cigarette things and she looked to the right there was the Bear eating out of the garbage. It just looked at her and went back to eating garbage. She went back in and got my wife and they scared it off. I was already sleeping by then. By the time they woke me and I got up they had yelled at the bear scaring it off.

If the door/window alarms don't work then I have some boards with nails thru it that I will deploy. If I have to I have a 12ga perimeter alarm trip wire device I can deploy with a shell with Cayenne pepper in it. Something has to work.

oh wow..daughter got off easy..i wonder if there's some sort of electronic device,that'll make loud sound(s) when someone or something gets to close to it..like a blast,or shot sound..

Black bears are actually rather timid...unless it's a sow defending a cub.

Animal control should be more than happy to send out an officer with a live-capture trap (peanut butter, bacon grease, and chocolate doughnuts are excellent bait when used together) and/or a tranquillizer rifle to relocate the animal.

I will give you 10:1 odds that your animal has become acclimated to human food and/or garbage by careless, stupid people who may have even been intentionally feeding it.

Keep your garbage inside, take pictures to prove the bear's existence to animal control, and tell your family members, friends, and neighbors that this beast should never be fed. Also, don't put cat or dog food outside.

If you follow these ideas...then everything should work out just fine.

I've lived and worked in bear country most of my life, black, brown, grizzly and polar bears, and have never had a problem with bears around my home. At work was another matter. Mostly around the landfills, for obvious reasons, and work camps because some people are slobs and would leave food and trash out. When hunting in grizzly country the bears will try and locate your kill, so you need to gut the animal and haul it away as quickly as possible. The main thing to remember at home is to keep the area clean. Some people have bear problems because they feed their dogs more than they can eat and there's always food left in the dog dish. Or they leave trash laying around the place, or they don't secure their trash cans well enough. It's not uncommon for us to see as many as 6 different bears in a day on our ranch, but have never had a problem with any of them. If we ever do get a problem bear at home I'll take care of it myself and have another bear rug to hang up.

Found out why the bears are bad in the area. Week ago we were almost home and a bear ran across the road. I slowed the truck down and the bear was halve way down a nearby neighbors driveway. I figured I better warn the neighbor so I drove down the driveway and the bear ran around to the back of the house. I grabbed my pepper spray and went to the guys door and he just chuckled it off. He said they like to watch them(bears)and pointed to a trough bait station that had bird seed in it. Said there is a mom and cubs that has been coming around also.

So I left. Talking to my wife and I kinda got pissed. This guy is letting bears get used to humans losing their fear by feeding them. I have a 12 year old son that like to go outside and play basketball. I called the DNR and they said the same thing but they cant do anything. As long as he were to say he is feeding birds and not baiting bear there is nothing to be done. The biologist that I talked to said that if I have to then get an electric fence. Once money gets straightened out then I'm going to have to get a couple strand electric fence around the house area because a neighbor is an idiot.

Here is a couple pics of the black bastard at the neighbors house that my wife took. As we pulled up the driveway to warn the neighbor the bastard ran around the back. Notice the sign on the tree.

Bear 1.jpg

Bear 2.jpeg

A friend of mine that was homesteading up in Alaska used to wrap some bacon around cans of starter fluid & hang 'em from limbs where the bears could get to them. When the bears would bite into the can, they'd get a blast of the starter fluid and it'd send them back off into the woods shaking their heads, usually not to return.

A friend of mine that was homesteading up in Alaska used to wrap some bacon around cans of starter fluid & hang 'em from limbs where the bears could get to them. When the bears would bite into the can, they'd get a blast of the starter fluid and it'd send them back off into the woods shaking their heads, usually not to return.
LOL, that's great!

I guess you could get the same effect from a can of computer duster. Less chemicals...

LOL, that's great!

I guess you could get the same effect from a can of computer duster. Less chemicals...

A can of Bear spray is a better idea, harmless and a bigger bite

A lot of people I knew in Alaska, when they left their cabin, would drive nails through sheets of plywood and place them under the windows and doors. No bear problems.
Yeah, I have some boards made up like that already. From my hunting blind issue a couple of years ago. If I have to I will break them out of retirement.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A lot of people I knew in Alaska, when they left their cabin, would drive nails through sheets of plywood and place them under the windows and doors. No bear problems.
Yep. He did that too. He woke up one morning (while his cabin was still in the early construction phase) to find a bear on the inside of the walls with him. Half asleep, he thought it was a big brown dog so he yelled at it to 'GET OUT'! Fortunately it startled the bear and it took off running. After that, plywood with nails in front of every door & window opening. If I remember right, his place was a few miles west of the RR tracks near Trapper Creek not real far south of Denali.

All of these problems because people refuse to follow the rules.

Don't feed wild animals....and they won't get acclimated to people.

It's always bad when wild animals associate people without food...especially bears. This bear is going to get shot as a nuscience animal, and it will be the fault of the idiots who fed it.

Why are people so stupid?

Totally agree with you. Yesterday my daughters boyfriend called my wife right after he left our house. A momma bear had stopped traffic because she was bringing her Cubs across the road to go feed at the neighbors. Now because of a dumbass it's being tough to her Cubs that man=food.
All I know is that if one of the black bastard's come to the house during the day time it going to die. Then take a quick road trip down the road away from my property. I would really like to dump the carcass on the neighbors driveway but it is to close.

Last night the wife and I were sitting outside enjoying the cool evening and the sunset when we heard a crashing in the woods. I went to investigate and about 50 feet away was a small black bear, maybe 200 pounds. This bear showed no fear of me and we stood there staring at each other. All I had on me at the time was a .22 (my snake gun). I fired a couple shots over his head and after the third shot he wandered off. I'd rather not shoot him if I can avoid it but I may have to if he causes problems with the pigs or chickens.

Latest posts

Back