The Fall of Hospitals

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@spazatak as I’ve said to others before.
I don’t care if you believe me or not.
Why do you care if I got “the jab”
According to you and others, I should be dead by now as I got it, or at least on my way to die as I was among the first cohort in the US to get it.
I’m still here. My 5G still sucks and I’m not magnetic.

I also find it hilarious that most assume I’m a liberal “woke” as I believe in public health.
I am a registered republican, voted for Trump the first time.

You’re right. It’s like that all the time.
But have hospitals put off profitable surgeries before, as they lack beds and people?
I don't work or live at the hospital so I'm not an authority and I'm sure the covid cases are taking priority. Probably how it should be. However, if they do the surgeries now and let the covids die, then there is no covid case money. Most of those surgeries will happen later so the hospital gets covid cash and surgery insurance cash too. This is how all industry works. Take the money that may go away now and pick up the money that isn't going anywhere later. I'm only talking about the corporate hospital and management and not about the doctors, nurses and support staff that do the actual work and help people. I suspect its these corporate hospital types that are standing in the way of research on covid prevention and covid minimizing opportunities.

I don't work or live at the hospital so I'm not an authority and I'm sure the covid cases are taking priority. Probably how it should be. However, if they do the surgeries now and let the covids die, then there is no covid case money. Most of those surgeries will happen later so the hospital gets covid cash and surgery insurance cash too. This is how all industry works. Take the money that may go away now and pick up the money that isn't going anywhere later. I'm only talking about the corporate hospital and management and not about the doctors, nurses and support staff that do the actual work and help people. I suspect its these corporate hospital types that are standing in the way of research on covid prevention and covid minimizing opportunities.

Here is a link to healthcare finance to show how much COVID hospitalizations cost. Remember you have to factor in all the PPE, and also these people are sometime staying WEEKS before they are stable enough to either go home, to a long term rehab, or out in a body bag.

"If a patient was hospitalized for six to 10 days, they could expect to pay as little as $89,874 if they were above 60 years old and as much as $155,619 if they are under 20-years-old.

For 11 to 15 day hospital stints, patients under 20 continued to pay more than their counterparts. The average amount for this group was $324,285 compared to $152,388 for patients over 60.

The cost of hospital stays over 15 days jumped significantly, although there were not enough patients under 20 who were hospitalized for this long for FAIR Health to report on. Patients aged 21 to 40 paid the most for these longer hospitalizations, on average paying $980,821. The over 60 age group paid the least – about $460,989. "

https://www.healthcarefinancenews.c...al-care-covid-19-ranges-51000-78000-based-age
"
The higher rate applies only to hospitalized Medicare patients, who, according to Becker’s Hospital Review, make up about 41% of U.S. hospital patients. Because that percentage varies by hospital, and because the formula for Medicare reimbursement is so complicated, not all hospitals receive the same amount of money per patient.

It’s important to note that the money we receive for caring for COVID-19 patients covers only a small portion of the cost of caring for them,” said Nanette Bentley, spokeswoman for Bon Secours Mercy Health in Cincinnati."

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...et-paid-more-for-covid-19-patients/112873160/
Now lets say - most ortho cases can be put off - right, it's not like heart surgery (which those cases are also getting put off)

According to the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), the cost of a hip replacement in the US ranges from $30,000 to $112,000. Your doctor will be able to provide the Medicare-approved price for the specific treatment you need.

The average stay of someone who needs a hip replacement - is certainly not 3 weeks. Hospitals can do more surgeries on an outpatient or short stay basis and make more money than the medicare reimbursement they are getting on covid patients (that make up approximately 40% of inpatients).

https://www.healthline.com/health/medicare/does-medicare-cover-hip-replacement#cost
I am certainly not a fan of these large hospital organizations.
There are some who have made money on the backs of their staff, docs, nurses, etc.
The best way would be to compare apples to apples in one organization. It is difficult to really pinpoint this as some info is taken from different areas - your reimbursement/cost in the south (for example) will be less than in the NE portion of the US.

Last edited:
@spazatak as I’ve said to others before.
I don’t care if you believe me or not.
Why do you care if I got “the jab”
According to you and others, I should be dead by now as I got it, or at least on my way to die as I was among the first cohort in the US to get it.
I’m still here. My 5G still sucks and I’m not magnetic.

I also find it hilarious that most assume I’m a liberal “woke” as I believe in public health.
I am a registered republican, voted for Trump the first time.
The "first" time? Hmmmmmmmm 🤔

Actually I voted for Jorgenson in the last election.
Hated the way Trump accused medical professionals in the trenches of profiting, when it was the system. His public health response was atrocious.
When I voted for Trump in 2016, I was voting *against* the establishment, but he pandered to them nonetheless, just like all his predecessors, donkey or elephant. Huge disappointment.
Can't stand Biden at all.

Someday people will wake up and realize they are being played by both sides.

Actually I voted for Jorgenson in the last election.
Hated the way Trump accused medical professionals in the trenches of profiting, when it was the system. His public health response was atrocious.
When I voted for Trump in 2016, I was voting *against* the establishment, but he pandered to them nonetheless, just like all his predecessors, donkey or elephant. Huge disappointment.
Can't stand Biden at all.

Someday people will wake up and realize they are being played by both sides.
I agree.

There are good reasons why politicians and lawyers are such rich fodder for late-night comedians.

1633312193254.png

Voted for Evan McMullin the first time Trump ran and won. I saw him as a rich New Yorker just like his running mate, ol Hillary.
Just could bring myself to vote for Trump or Biden last election. Just couldn't.
Looking for another George Washington, and nothing less will do.

New York hospitals are in for a treat!

I must note the fact that nursing staff brought in from non-English speaking countries are already so easy to understand, that adding a mask will make it a fun treat in an emergency situation! (Sorry, this sounds quite ethnocentric of me,) I just think of patients who are hard of hearing who struggle with the masks, to begin with.
I am grateful for their help, but saddened they are leaving their home country where they may be needed just as desperately.
I don't know what the government is trying to accomplish with this...or why
Erqueen75:USA:

My mom refuses to get hearing aids and her hearing tests show she's lost half of it in some ranges. Wearing a mask where we live is only necessary at the doctor's office, and she can't understand a thing that the doctor is saying unless they are yelling.

My mom refuses to get hearing aids and her hearing tests show she's lost half of it in some ranges. Wearing a mask where we live is only necessary at the doctor's office, and she can't understand a thing that the doctor is saying unless they are yelling.
Yeah this is a real problem
There are plenty of super smart Indian docs who get a bad rap as no one can understand them. I often have to go behind them and explain the plan to the patient (or their family)- it’s really difficult for older people to hear and understand them. 😔

Yeah this is a real problem
There are plenty of super smart Indian docs who get a bad rap as no one can understand them. I often have to go behind them and explain the plan to the patient (or their family)- it’s really difficult for older people to hear and understand them. 😔
I agree . . . and it's difficult for me to witness physicians (and other healthcare workers) being stigmatized over foreign accents.

I also see subtle chauvanism directed toward women doctors (perhaps you've experienced this?) from older people.

I once wrote an essay for school (and later published in an EMS journal) where I argued that certain patients--due to their cultural background--are more likely to be noncompliant with medications if said medications are perscribed by a female doctor.

I agree . . . and it's difficult for me to witness physicians (and other healthcare workers) being stigmatized over foreign accents.

I also see subtle chauvanism directed toward women doctors (perhaps you've experienced this?) from older people.

I once wrote an essay for school (and later published in an EMS journal) where I argued that certain patients--due to their cultural background--are more likely to be noncompliant with medications if said medications are perscribed by a female doctor.
Subtle, and not subtle. I get called the nurse all the time (to which I say, oh thanks, I upgraded then) and laugh it off. It's not like its an insult, my nurse friends and colleagues are some of the smartest people I know (with way more common sense than some docs I know) -to me its just a respect for the education level and sacrifices made.

Also agree about the stigmata of foreign docs. In India you have to be the smartest to even think about getting into medical school, its not easy. The smartest docs I have met are from there
My dad's pulmonologist is from India, his cardiologist from Syria. Best docs I know.

Latest posts

Back