The BOV AFTER you have bugged out

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
The BOV AFTER you have bugged out (v3) June14

Preamble So the world as we know it ends and society falls apart, you and your family have used the Bug out vehicle to get to your retreat or place of safety, the immediate aftermath is over and you are still alive.

So what now for the vehicle that got you to your place of safety?

I suggest that in the immediate aftermath of a disaster or crisis affecting us the world is very likely to be a VERY dangerous place. You could find various factions of your government vying to retake control of what is left of your country, you could find surviving military and police units operating alone trying to take control over a given region. You could well find foreign troops with bad intentions as equally as you may find foreign troops trying to help restore order. You may find local politicians trying to set up personal fiefdoms or even the local chapter of bad ### bikers trying to become the new Mongol Hordes. Let us not forget religious organised nut jobs persuading their followers to take control of everything in the name of God or Satan. Gun nuts, Militias, Paramils, Terrorists, Teen gangs, Herds of displaced refugees, Armed veterans, Not so friendly survivalists, Neighbours from surrounding communities whose supplies are depleted or lost. Heck you name it and chances are they are going to be out there looking for places just like YOURS. OK let us not get into the Rambo mentality, YES you may be able to use your lovingly crafted fully accessorised AR15 or Stainless Mossberg 500 ATP to deal with the odd one or two undesirables, BUT in no way are 99% of us capable of sustaining an armed resistance for any length of time, especially as most of us operate in no more than an IMMEDIATE FAMILY sized unit. REAL TIME INTELIGENCE is what is going to be just as vital to you as your AR15.

A quality radio scanner (AM and FM) with a top quality aerial (concealed) will help you listen in to anyone else in your area using radios like CBs, Amateur rigs, Military unencrypted rigs, Police rigs etc. Even if you cannot crack any encryption they use the radio traffic will at least let you know they are out there and then you can lay low or move out, or simply triangulate THEIR location BUT what both you and I know is what we REALLY need is first hand real time intelligence obtained with the Mark One Eyeball and unless you have a Drone UAV to play with the only sensible way to gather intelligence is to recce and ground patrol on foot or from a vehicle or horse. Foot patrols for most civilians are only ever going to be in the very close range radius of one or two miles from your retreat. That really does not give you much time to react if a column of bad guys is detected only a few miles from where your family are sheltered. The greater the distance you can cover in the shortest time will give you the most information about any approaching threat to your family. You NEED to patrol further out to maximise the LEAD TIME you have between you detecting the bad guys and them finding your retreat. This is where your original BOV could find its second life. A small well fitted out lightweight vehicle like a small 4x4 (Jimny, Rav 4,Fourtrak, Vitara, Pinin, 90 inch Landy, CJ Jeep, etcetera or even a quad) will allow TWO or THREE people from your group to range a fair distance with enough kit and supplies to patrol a good size area and remain self-sufficient for many days (no need to seek water, fuel or food). A Motorcycle, Pony or Mountain bike will work for ONE person patrols but the extra eyes and ears of a multi crewed vehicle will ensure better observations and allow everyone to get some quality rest whilst their colleagues stand guard.

The worlds military have long since realised the benefits of sending out recon or recce teams with multiple people long ago, its a lesson we should try to adopt.

A small rugged 4x4 or even a dune buggy type 4x2 with extra fuel, water, winch, tools, sand or mud mats etc fitted with a decent set of dual purpose tyres will make a half decent scout vehicle for prepper families. Variations such as type of engine, uprated suspension, external luggage racks, bull bars etc are down to personal budget and choice. My own personal choice is always a diesel engine for reliability and lower risk from fire, but it’s a case of each to their own. During the Cold War in Europe and in the former Yugoslavia many military units used wheeled or tracked armoured recce vehicles to spy on the Soviets or Serbian forces, but equally many of their recce units used small civilian 4x4s, civilian Land Rovers, Mercedes Gelands, Peugeot P4, Suzuki Rhinos and UMMs and even on occasion LSVs (militarised buggies) to get to inaccessible places in order to watch what the other side were doing. These smaller low profile vehicles were nearly as capable as their bigger relatives but they were much easier to get down small cycle paths, donkey tracks, footpaths, bridle ways and goat tracks, and FAR easier to camouflage. Using civilian vehicles gives the added advantage in a PA world because they can so easily be hidden in among abandoned vehicles along the roadside. Being smaller they are easier to conceal when laying up and of course it is easier to source spare parts from civilian vehicles suppliers if your vehicle is based on a popular model.

Obviously depending on where you live / bug out to will influence your vehicle choice, in heavily wooded, mountainous or densely built up areas the smaller vehicle will generally have the advantage, but If you live outside many of the American or Canadian or Australian conurbations you will probably need a bigger vehicle with greater storage capacity to carry essential extra fuel, water etc to deal with the greater distances to be travelled and the longer periods of time away from home. A final pointer is also that if after many months in your retreat or shelter you decide to move to another location (better security, better resources) with your family having a still functioning vehicle will make the move that much easier. Perhaps when you are next considering what sort of vehicles you need to suit your needs as a prepper you will give just a little thought to the issue of intelligence gathering after TSHTF and how youre BOV may be able to help.

The BOV AFTER you have bugged out (v3) June14

Preamble So the world as we know it ends and society falls apart, you and your family have used the Bug out vehicle to get to your retreat or place of safety, the immediate aftermath is over and you are still alive.

So what now for the vehicle that got you to your place of safety?

I suggest that in the immediate aftermath of a disaster or crisis affecting us the world is very likely to be a VERY dangerous place. You could find various factions of your government vying to retake control of what is left of your country, you could find surviving military and police units operating alone trying to take control over a given region. You could well find foreign troops with bad intentions as equally as you may find foreign troops trying to help restore order. You may find local politicians trying to set up personal fiefdoms or even the local chapter of bad ### bikers trying to become the new Mongol Hordes. Let us not forget religious organised nut jobs persuading their followers to take control of everything in the name of God or Satan. Gun nuts, Militias, Paramils, Terrorists, Teen gangs, Herds of displaced refugees, Armed veterans, Not so friendly survivalists, Neighbours from surrounding communities whose supplies are depleted or lost. Heck you name it and chances are they are going to be out there looking for places just like YOURS. OK let us not get into the Rambo mentality, YES you may be able to use your lovingly crafted fully accessorised AR15 or Stainless Mossberg 500 ATP to deal with the odd one or two undesirables, BUT in no way are 99% of us capable of sustaining an armed resistance for any length of time, especially as most of us operate in no more than an IMMEDIATE FAMILY sized unit. REAL TIME INTELIGENCE is what is going to be just as vital to you as your AR15.

A quality radio scanner (AM and FM) with a top quality aerial (concealed) will help you listen in to anyone else in your area using radios like CBs, Amateur rigs, Military unencrypted rigs, Police rigs etc. Even if you cannot crack any encryption they use the radio traffic will at least let you know they are out there and then you can lay low or move out, or simply triangulate THEIR location BUT what both you and I know is what we REALLY need is first hand real time intelligence obtained with the Mark One Eyeball and unless you have a Drone UAV to play with the only sensible way to gather intelligence is to recce and ground patrol on foot or from a vehicle or horse. Foot patrols for most civilians are only ever going to be in the very close range radius of one or two miles from your retreat. That really does not give you much time to react if a column of bad guys is detected only a few miles from where your family are sheltered. The greater the distance you can cover in the shortest time will give you the most information about any approaching threat to your family. You NEED to patrol further out to maximise the LEAD TIME you have between you detecting the bad guys and them finding your retreat. This is where your original BOV could find its second life. A small well fitted out lightweight vehicle like a small 4x4 (Jimny, Rav 4,Fourtrak, Vitara, Pinin, 90 inch Landy, CJ Jeep, etcetera or even a quad) will allow TWO or THREE people from your group to range a fair distance with enough kit and supplies to patrol a good size area and remain self-sufficient for many days (no need to seek water, fuel or food). A Motorcycle, Pony or Mountain bike will work for ONE person patrols but the extra eyes and ears of a multi crewed vehicle will ensure better observations and allow everyone to get some quality rest whilst their colleagues stand guard.

The worlds military have long since realised the benefits of sending out recon or recce teams with multiple people long ago, its a lesson we should try to adopt.

A small rugged 4x4 or even a dune buggy type 4x2 with extra fuel, water, winch, tools, sand or mud mats etc fitted with a decent set of dual purpose tyres will make a half decent scout vehicle for prepper families. Variations such as type of engine, uprated suspension, external luggage racks, bull bars etc are down to personal budget and choice. My own personal choice is always a diesel engine for reliability and lower risk from fire, but it’s a case of each to their own. During the Cold War in Europe and in the former Yugoslavia many military units used wheeled or tracked armoured recce vehicles to spy on the Soviets or Serbian forces, but equally many of their recce units used small civilian 4x4s, civilian Land Rovers, Mercedes Gelands, Peugeot P4, Suzuki Rhinos and UMMs and even on occasion LSVs (militarised buggies) to get to inaccessible places in order to watch what the other side were doing. These smaller low profile vehicles were nearly as capable as their bigger relatives but they were much easier to get down small cycle paths, donkey tracks, footpaths, bridle ways and goat tracks, and FAR easier to camouflage. Using civilian vehicles gives the added advantage in a PA world because they can so easily be hidden in among abandoned vehicles along the roadside. Being smaller they are easier to conceal when laying up and of course it is easier to source spare parts from civilian vehicles suppliers if your vehicle is based on a popular model.

Obviously depending on where you live / bug out to will influence your vehicle choice, in heavily wooded, mountainous or densely built up areas the smaller vehicle will generally have the advantage, but If you live outside many of the American or Canadian or Australian conurbations you will probably need a bigger vehicle with greater storage capacity to carry essential extra fuel, water etc to deal with the greater distances to be travelled and the longer periods of time away from home. A final pointer is also that if after many months in your retreat or shelter you decide to move to another location (better security, better resources) with your family having a still functioning vehicle will make the move that much easier. Perhaps when you are next considering what sort of vehicles you need to suit your needs as a prepper you will give just a little thought to the issue of intelligence gathering after TSHTF and how youre BOV may be able to help.
You've pointed out a great and detailed scenario to us. You're definitely right about not too many people you come across will have good intentions. Even good people do not so good things when their children are hungry. I hadn't thought too much about recon before, but it's a good thought. I've cleared more of my property than I like to be able to grow more foods, but wish I had left some wooded area by the road. I think my only recon will be in the immediate area, and will be done on foot in the woods surrounding me. I'm hoping that my remote location will be my greatest protection. People will have to put in a lot of effort and resources to get to us, and in the country most of the people are armed, so I'm hoping that will be a deterrent to them as well.

An ex US army chap of whom I shared a friend with has a small place out in the OK panhandle, he has gotten himself a reconditioned battery powered golf cart with a solar panel recharging point to give him almost silent mobility around his little homestead.

I've got a Jimny that's pretty well fitting out for camping and FWDing, great little vehicles and it will go places my Landcruiser won't fit. It's brilliant white at present and can be seen from about 100 miles away :), but that can easily be changed.

After the SHTF, my vehicle will mostly have three purposes:

1) If we need to bug out of our location
2) Going on supply runs
3) Hauling away trash periodically

Any recon we do will be on horseback most likely.

Any recon we do will be on horseback most likely.
I've not ridden a horse since I was about 2 years old (does that count? :) ), but my neighbour is an ex stockman and he has 2 horses at present, he's going to teach me to ride. I reckon they would be a great form of transport, after all they did well for 100s (1ooos?) of years previous to the car.

My post SHTF vehicle is a bicycle with a milk carton basket zip tied to the back.

I will prolly fix up one more for the missus and that'll make 2. We can go out to the nearby reservoirs or parks to fish if we need to. Cycle out and around to forage and scavenge.

I will be over time, looking into a trike. Maybe even learning how to electrify it myself and fix up solar panels. But it'll be a long term project.

I've got a Jimny that's pretty well fitting out for camping and FWDing, great little vehicles and it will go places my Landcruiser won't fit. It's brilliant white at present and can be seen from about 100 miles away :), but that can easily be changed.
Yea .............. those pics were cool !

These ones?

32220.jpg

32222.jpg

32221.jpg

32231.jpg

32227.jpg

32228.jpg

32209.jpg

As I said you can see it for miles, but that's easily fixed.

In the back in an 850x650x900mm box (plus down the sides in between the unit and the car) we've managed to fit...

• Recovery gear
    • Tirfor winch
    • Steel cable
    • 30m plasma extension cable
    • Equalizing strap
    • Tree protector
    • Bow shackles
    • Snatch block
  • Tools
    • Small tool kit
    • Electric rattle gun
    • Air line for compressor
    • Extension air line
    • Wheel chocks
    • Folding shovel
    • Scissor jack
    • Bottle jack
    • Jacking plate
    • Puncture repair kit
  • Power
    • 60w solar panel
    • Regulator
    • 100AH 12v deep cycle battery
    • 300w inverter
    • Amp and Volt panel meters
    • 12v outlets
    • 240v outlet
  • 60-litre water tank
  • 30-litre Waeco drawer fridge
  • Camping gear
    • 2-man tent
    • Rear shelter canopy
    • 2 x self-inflating mattresses
    • 2 x folding chairs
    • Table
    • Bag of clothes
    • Bedding
    • Towels
  • Cooking
    • 1-burner cook top
    • 5 x spare gas bottles
    • Crockery/cutlery/pans etc
    • Food for a week or so
  • Misc
    • 2 x pairs of walking boots
    • Fire extinguisher
    • Fold out table between seats at the front
    • Fold out table at the rear
    • Tie-down loops to secure top loads
    • Collapsible bucket
    • Collapsible bowl
    • Garbage bags
    • Rope
And there's still plenty of room on top of the unit for shopping, backpacks, jerry cans, gas bottles etc according to the needs of the day.

This was not designed as a BOV per se, that's just how I like a daily drive to be set up as I have always assumed that any trip, even to buy milk, may wind up with me spending the night on the side of the road somewhere.

Just thinking Myrrph, I've seen how much stuff people in Asia can pile onto a bicycle, bigger stacks than the above dimensions. You could make something similar for your BOBs (Bug out bicycles). :)

lol. ATM they're foldable bikes with a milk cart at the rear.

unfortunately Singapore has first world problems like the US and Oz meaning most of us have lost the ability to pile stuff on like the vietnamese and the china chinese.

A trike or Trishaw kinda get up might be better. But I'm the lazy kind. Electric bike FTW! :D

Nomad yet again I am seriously impressed with your skills, esp after Wothehellizzit 1 &2 and now the Jimney , Wow what else can be said.

FYI I recently watch a local 4x4 club rally in Weardale, its wet, wooded and rocky and two Jimneys were the only two vehicles to complete the course without penalty points, other stuff like Landies, Jeeps, Isuzus etc could not make the tight turned between the trees without backing up

Nomad yet again I am seriously impressed with your skills, esp after Wothehellizzit 1 &2 and now the Jimney , Wow what else can be said.

FYI I recently watch a local 4x4 club rally in Weardale, its wet, wooded and rocky and two Jimneys were the only two vehicles to complete the course without penalty points, other stuff like Landies, Jeeps, Isuzus etc could not make the tight turned between the trees without backing up
Thanks mate. I guess I just like to design and build stuff, and it keeps me off the streets :)

Yes for most things in offroading small is better, the advantage a large vehicle has is in carrying capacity for long trips, for that my Landcruiser is the duck's guts.

did a quick check here about that jimney, second-third or whateverhand;they are still expencive here, propably no wonder

Jonnte for your climate the Lada Niva Cossack from just across the border is a better and probably cheaper option.

Latest posts

Back