Swiss army knife

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of Swiss army knives. It is almost comic to see how many tools they can stuff into one. I carry a Leatherman. The pliars are used the most. The knife is one step above useless.

I have a couple of Swiss army knives. It is almost comic to see how many tools they can stuff into one. I carry a Leatherman. The pliars are used the most. The knife is one step above useless.
I disagree about the useless part.

My Victorinox SAK Champ is a great travel companion and time-saver.

The small tweezers and magnifying glass were excellent for removing ticks when I was traveling in New York, the small pen is great for signing checks before depositing them in the ATM when I forgot my "real" pen, I find the blade especially useful at work when I have to open packaging for medical supplies, and so forth. I have even used my SAK as a stand for my smart phone when watching a movie or television episode.

I believe that the reason why Swiss army knives have a reputation for uselessness is because people buy cheap knock-offs, and I've found that the cheap knock-off SAKs can actually hurt you if you try to use the Phillips screwdriver . . . and it closes on your knuckles.

Any poorly-made tool will give shoddy performance, but a real Victorinox works very well.

My EDC pocket knife is a cheap Wally World $5.00 special. I would not expect to use this for a survival situation but it does serve for little every day operation. This pocket knife would not be my choice for an outdoor adventure. I have a Rambo style knife for that purpose. I am not a knife collector or plan to ever go hand to hand with a knife. I did use this SAK to make more holes in one of my belts, when I dropped 35 pounds.

My EDC pocket knife is a cheap Wally World $5.00 special. I would not expect to use this for a survival situation but it does serve for little every day operation. This pocket knife would not be my choice for an outdoor adventure. I have a Rambo style knife for that purpose. I am not a knife collector or plan to ever go hand to hand with a knife. I did use this SAK to make more holes in one of my belts, when I dropped 35 pounds.
I agree somewhat, but maybe my experience with the authentic SAK is atypical.

I use it on backpack trips when I need to tighten screws in my stuff, I've used the tiny screw driver to repair eye glasses and sun glasses, and so forth.

I avidly collect all kinds of knives, and I've always used my SAK much more than all my other knives combined . . . except for my Leatherman tool.

I agree somewhat, but maybe my experience with the authentic SAK is atypical.

I use it on backpack trips when I need to tighten screws in my stuff, I've used the tiny screw driver to repair eye glasses and sun glasses, and so forth.

I avidly collect all kinds of knives, and I've always used my SAK much more than all my other knives combined . . . except for my Leatherman tool.
I have several genuine SAKs (and a leatherman skeletool) and they are great for everyday little tasks. I always keep one with me. I would never want to rely on one for my only knife but the little extra tools are great.
whats wrong with a screwdriver? "the right tool for the job" is my policy.
The "right tool" is great but it's not always practical to carry a whole tool belt. For the small things I run into every day the SAK or leatherman is just the perfect compromise.

I use my Leatherman every single day of the year. Its like carrying a tool box on your belt. It can do far more than any single knife can do. I would never be without one. Of course it does have its limitations too. While it may butcher a rabbit I'd never try skinning a beaver with a Leatherman.

Every SAK I've had lost their plastic sides. Maybe they were fakes, idk. Now my EDC is a Case with a few sheath improvements to include duct tape/celluloid guitar pick layers and a ferro rod. The little leather strap that holds the knife fell out last week, but the electrical tape keeps the knife from falling out. I also keep some fishing line and hooks in my wallet by the can opener.

For every day use (as opposed to just looking at it every day), I never thought the SAK was rugged enough or practical. Its a hobby knife. If I break down in the woods or fall through the ice and make it back to shore, I want a fixed blade and fire. Hypothermic with soaked fingernails, there is no way I'd even be able to pry one of those tight-springed SAK's open. I need a pliers to open those knives on a normal day!
IMG_20210921_212343302.jpg

Every SAK I've had lost their plastic sides. Maybe they were fakes, idk. Now my EDC is a Case with a few sheath improvements to include duct tape/celluloid guitar pick layers and a ferro rod. The little leather strap that holds the knife fell out last week, but the electrical tape keeps the knife from falling out. I also keep some fishing line and hooks in my wallet by the can opener.

For every day use (as opposed to just looking at it every day), I never thought the SAK was rugged enough or practical. Its a hobby knife. If I break down in the woods or fall through the ice and make it back to shore, I want a fixed blade and fire. Hypothermic with soaked fingernails, there is no way I'd even be able to pry one of those tight-springed SAK's open. I need a pliers to open those knives on a normal day!
View attachment 13674
I agree with your points, but I reach a different conclusion.

I don't think anyone suggests that an SAK is a universal fix-all that's perfect for everything.

I have several Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools . . . along with a large collection of sheath knives, hatchets, hacksaws, bolt cutters, and so on.

My preferred sheath knife is a dive knife with a 6 inch blade. I work and play in a very sweaty, humid, semi-tropical environment, so a dive knife is better for resistance to rust and corrosion.

I usually carry different kinds of knives when I'm carrying, and the SAK gets used the most.

When I was on an ambulance as a paramedic, I used my Leatherman tool the most. The pliers were great for opening the valve on an oxygen cylinder if the O2 wrench was missing . . . and for picking up dirty sharps so that I don't get stuck by a needle from an addict.

The blade in the Leatherman is perfect for cutting seatbelts, and the bottle opener is good for prying open certain kinds of car doors.

View attachment 13674
I forgot to add that extra scales (the plastic sides that came off) can be ordered.

I replaced my plastic scales (actually, they are made out of celluloid) with aluminum ones from Ebay.

You clean the sides with acetone (nail polish remover) to remove any residual traces of hardened glue, and glue the replacement scales on with a small amount of clear Gorilla Glue.

I replaced my plastic scales (actually, they are made out of celluloid) with aluminum ones from Ebay.
I didn't know that, cool! That means I have a fake SAK though as i just ripped off the other scale to see if it was celluloid. Nope, some other non-flammable plastic.

Are you sure you would want to swap the celluloid for aluminum? Celluloid is made from nitrocellulose and camphor, highly flammable stuff! It makes for a good waterproof fire starter fuel that can be lit with a spark. That's the reason I carry guitar picks!

Latest posts

Back