Off-side carry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in my neck of the woods, for now, my gun is carried concealed. MANY people here carry a folding blade in the pocket top, or waistband. The problem with those is you have to (in your scenario) fish it out, then get it open with one hand, all while fighting for your life (and gun) with one free hand. Low probability of success, compared to fighting for your gun, and trying to get to an eye, or a throat punch when you get a chance.
With a well designed pocket flipper, it is very easy with a little practice.
Emphasis on "well designed" which most are not.

Hand to hand grappling is a skill unto itself. Preserving distance is paramount to drawing a firearm. I use a cross draw setup for my EDC. Defend with the left hand and draw with the right hand. My knife would be attached on my right side, since my left hand would be to ward off any attacker. Most, not all, attackers will lower / drop their heads down in an effort to protect their heads. This limits their angle of view and offers many opportunities to counter their attack.

MY idea of defense is not let them get close enough to you to put your gun in jeapardy, AND for sure they not getting close enough to knife fight!!! Take them down soon as they threaten you, Pistol can reach out and touch someone!!
yeah, that’s ideal. Stand-off is always preferable, but the point of a backup weapon is when the ideal doesn’t happen.

When I carry a knife, I tend to carry on the weak side . . . but for different reasons than the original poster indicates.

First, the Marines still teach knife fighting, and they advcate weak side carry, with the edge of the blade facing forward.

I hired a few disabled Marines to teach me knife fighting, and I follow their principles.

Another reason has to do with certian martial arts principles, as the Samurai carried the tanto on the weak side. The Fillipino martial art of silat also suggests carrying the blade on the weak side.

I have concluded that body mechanics allow for better utilization of the blade if it is swept across a vector that intersects the space between you and the opponent.

Also, if you pivot so that your strong side is facing your opponent, the knife on your weak side will be further away from the enemy, and the bulk of your body will be between the enemy and your knife . . . so the enemy will be less able to grab it and take it away from you.

There are many other reasons as well.

When I carry a knife, I tend to carry on the weak side . . . but for different reasons than the original poster indicates.

First, the Marines still teach knife fighting, and they advcate weak side carry, with the edge of the blade facing forward.

I hired a few disabled Marines to teach me knife fighting, and I follow their principles.

Another reason has to do with certian martial arts principles, as the Samurai carried the tanto on the weak side. The Fillipino martial art of silat also suggests carrying the blade on the weak side.

I have concluded that body mechanics allow for better utilization of the blade if it is swept across a vector that intersects the space between you and the opponent.

Also, if you pivot so that your strong side is facing your opponent, the knife on your weak side will be further away from the enemy, and the bulk of your body will be between the enemy and your knife . . . so the enemy will be less able to grab it and take it away from you.

There are many other reasons as well.
Great post. The blade facing forward on the weak side makes a lot of sense. So, I’m assuming you are using a reverse grip and swinging the knife in an arc towards the opponent?

Great post. The blade facing forward on the weak side makes a lot of sense. So, I’m assuming you are using a reverse grip and swinging the knife in an arc towards the opponent?
Depends upon the circumstances.

I do know that half the people who claim to be knife fighters don't know anything, and their expertise comes from 80s era action movies.

One source of my knife fighting techniques come from the Marines, and another source is from certian Japanese martial artists.

I do believe in fighting dirty, and I believe in running from a knife fight if possible.

I also believe in carrying multiple knives in different locations.

A more interesting (and odd, but effective) technique involves covertly peeing in your hand (if the situation permits) and throwing the urine into the opponent's face to buy you a "reaction gap" to move in with the knife.

Along these lines, I don't usually believe in hollow handle knives, as the connection between the blade and grip is often a weak spot . . . but even so, I've experimented with putting liquid ammonia in the hollow handle (with a silicone gasket), and flipping the lid off and throwing this ammonia into the assailant's face before moving in with the blade.

And by experimenting, I'm talking about a department store mannequin . . . not bikers in a pool hall.

Last edited:
Depends upon the circumstances.

I do know that half the people who claim to be knife fighters don't know anything, and their expertise comes from 80s era action movies.

One source of my knife fighting techniques come from the Marines, and another source is from certian Japanese martial artists.

I do believe in fighting dirty, and I believe in running from a knife fight if possible.

I also believe in carrying multiple knives in different locations.

A more interesting (and odd, but effective) technique involves covertly peeing in your hand (if the situation permits) and throwing the urine into the opponent's face to buy you a "reaction gap" to move in with the knife.

Along these lines, I don't usually believe in hollow handle knives, as the connection between the blade and grip is often a weak spot . . . but even so, I've experimented with putting liquid ammonia in the hollow handle (with a silicone gasket), and flipping the lid off and throwing this ammonia into the assailant's face before moving in with the blade.

And by experimenting, I'm talking about a department store mannequin . . . not bikers in a pool hall.
The urine and ammonia sounds…well, interesting. I carry some very hot pepper spray on my belt every day as part of my EDC. It would serve the same purpose I’m guessing. Truthfully, most potentially dangerous scenarios I actually see on the street (the deranged homeless guy, a punk doing a pimp walk and heading right towards me, etc) could probably be ameliorated with some very good pepper spray. Or at least buy you time and distance to get to your more lethal options (knife, gun)

The urine and ammonia sounds…well, interesting. I carry some very hot pepper spray on my belt every day as part of my EDC. It would serve the same purpose I’m guessing. Truthfully, most potentially dangerous scenarios I actually see on the street (the deranged homeless guy, a punk doing a pimp walk and heading right towards me, etc) could probably be ameliorated with some very good pepper spray. Or at least buy you time and distance to get to your more lethal options (knife, gun)
I'm a fan of pepper spray.

Not every self defense situation means that you automatically grease someone because you think you can get away with it.

I have no need to shoot someone if kicking them in the stones stops the criminal behavior.

Not every self defense situation means that you automatically grease someone because you think you can get away with it.

I have no need to shoot someone if kicking them in the stones stops the criminal behavior.
IF you fear for your life empty gun center mass, kicking and wounding will get you killed!

IF you fear for your life empty gun center mass, kicking and wounding will get you killed!
I was a paramedic for over a decade, and I worked in Miami in the late 80s during a time when violence was the norm.

I am a believer in guns, but I don't think that guns are the only answer.

I've been in life-threatening situations, and each situation is unique.

I've saved my own life by kicking an assailant in the testicles, I've thrown dirt in someone's face, and I've also ran.

I agree with you. I actually carry a small keychain pepper spray in my back pocket. I’ve used OC spray quite a few times, and it is surprisingly effective. The scenarios I was pointing out were scenarios where deadly force is warranted; however, I agree with you completely that 99.9% of situations don’t require deadly force.

Thank you for your input.:)

Read my above comment, for some reason it didn’t quote your post.

Latest posts

Back