priorities & value in hypothetical SHTF scenario

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't see this thread going anywhere given we all have our reasons and comfort zones and nobody is going to budge from their own perspective and that's fine by me. I never said on this forum since I joined my way is the right way and the only way but it works for me!

Well you've implied through your previous statements that you don't think too highly for "city folk" and that we're essentially all the same.

This is were the friction initiated for me. Pretty much you have insinuated that unless I relocate outside city that I'm not a true prepper. Which of course I do not agree with.

A few of you take it a step further and actually welcome the extermination of "city folk". You justify this because you fear we're a threat.

Last edited:
Well you've implied through your previous statements that you don't think too highly for "city folk" and that we're essentially all the same.

This is were the friction initiated for me. Pretty much you have insinuated that unless I relocate outside city that I'm not a true prepper. Which of course I do not agree with.

I don't really, they generally in a hurry, rude as hell in my experience that's not to say I haven't met good people I have though very few, I have had nothing but problems in and around Seattle when picking up my wife at WSU the same be said going to the airport in Portland, I encountered the the same rudeness in New York City and Houston in the past, like I said my experience. My granddaughter recently pulled out of Berkeley because of the crap going on their, those are just small samples.

I don't really, they generally in a hurry, rude as hell in my experience that's not to say I haven't met good people I have though very few, I have had nothing but problems in and around Seattle when picking up my wife at WSU the same be said going to the airport in Portland, I encountered the the same rudeness in New York City and Houston in the past, like I said my experience. My granddaughter recently pulled out of Berkeley because of the crap going on their, those are just small samples.

"U.S. Census Bureau, 80.7 percent of the U.S. population lived in urban areas as of the 2010 Census, a boost from the 79 percent counted in 2000. That brings the country's total urban population to 249,253,271,"

So are you saying that more than 80% of the ENTIRE country is the same? That's 250 million people. And I'm the troll. :rolleyes:

i wonder to how much safer it is for me to live where i do.compared to those 19 suburbs..and how many of those people in those 19 suburbs,can survive. a real shtf situation.and how many of them will turn on others?

Oh by way...here is a list of 100 of the safest suburbs of America. 19 out of 100 of these suburbs are suburbs of the CITY of Chicago.

i've lived in what i consider big cities,(30,000 to 50,000)i've also lived in small cities.i've also lived in the country..matter of fact,i live in the country now.in which where i live now.is 6 miles outside of a city of just over 1200..id rather be living where i am now.instead of that city of 12,00.on account,it,ll get way to dangerous and real fast in a shtf situation..as far as the bigger cities go,like dallas,miami,chicago,LA,and all them other big cities goes.unless i have to go to one of them,for some reason.i won't be seen in one..and as for as the suburbs go.i think of them as zoos,filled with humans..lol.now,as for that small city i live outside of.i believe it'll get dangerous here after a set length of time,after a complete power grid failure,or what ever..on account people will be leaving town for a safer place to stay n live..while everyone else will be staying behind,to either barely survive,or to die..some,if not most will die from die from not having their doctor prescribed meds..there's folks that live within 1 mile of me,will die from no meds as well..

"U.S. Census Bureau, 80.7 percent of the U.S. population lived in urban areas as of the 2010 Census, a boost from the 79 percent counted in 2000. That brings the country's total urban population to 249,253,271,"

So are you saying that more than 80% of the ENTIRE country is the same? That's 250 million people. And I'm the troll. :rolleyes:

More reason not to be near cities, be playing hell trying to evac that many people in a crises.

And for the record I never called a troll.

19 of the suburbs of Chicago on that list are safe enough to walk alone at 3am and not have to worry. Everyone will respond differently under a high pressure situation. To assume you know how 80% of the population will respond under adverse conditions makes no sense.

These are communities were good honest hard working Americans live. To typecast them all in one category is absurd.

I think some people here honestly have a phobia of cities and view city people as their primary threat. A couple here even openly admitted that they welcome the elimination of this segment of America (80%+ of population).

It's kinda disturbing actually as most don't seem to see anything wrong with this.

Also many of you seem to base your views of all "city folk" on the hand full of homeless thugs you saw looting on the news during Hurricane Katrina.

This kind of thinking contradicts all logic. Naturally I find myself on the defensive because of this. I don't agree that all city people will instantly turn into violent savages that will loot and go after country folks belongings.

Don't assume that we're not capable of preparing & persevering through even the most hopeless of situations.

Some people will naturally go bad but most will band together and do what's right and nessesary to survive.

there's An estimated 2,695,598 residents living in chicago.and Chicago city parks attract an estimated 86 million visitors annually..to me,thats about as safe as walking into a bear cave empty handed,knowing very well.that there's a hungry bear in there..

there's An estimated 2,695,598 residents living in chicago.and Chicago city parks attract an estimated 86 million visitors annually..to me,thats about as safe as walking into a bear cave empty handed,knowing very well.that there's a hungry bear in there..

:wtf:

People are products of their environment however Chicago is a city comprised of many diverse close knit micro communities. Every kind of person imaginable is represented in the city but most of them are good people with unique characteristics & capabilities.

There are also many wealthy communities hence some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

Of course there are ghettos and slums but they do not represent the majority. Even within ghettos there are mostly good people.

Most of us are NOT the blood thirsty savages being depicted by some of the members of this forum.

damn this went to hell while I was gone today,,,this has become way to personal here,,,,,those who call a city home are in for a rough ride if the SHTF,,,how many of you have ever watched a city being evacuated because of a Hurricane 20 miles in 2 or 3 hours,that is bad enough but if a nuclear war ever broke out,a lot of those people trying to get out will die right there on the interstate,,it is best to hunker down and wait it out and then get out,,,if the SHTF a city in my opinion is not the place to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

toexit troll or not a troll I do not care he is a city guy and he will defend his choice to the end,,,,bigpaul is the opposite dead set in his choice just like me,,,not a problem with either choice,no reason to beat each other up

Personally, I have a feeling we were conflating short-to-medium term SHTF events (which occur fairly frequently) with TEOTWAWKI events, which are rare. I know I was.

In a SHTF scenario where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, maybe bugging in isn't so bad. I live in the city, and for something where I have to endure a week of deprivation, knowing that it will be over in a week, I can hole up and tough it out. I'm not worried about my neighbors.

In a long term event however, I simply can't see staying put as a viable option. I don't want to get even close to the end of my supplies while living in the city. I'd rather head to the BOL. I won't be going it alone, I'll have relatives there...*all* of whom can shoot.

Now maybe if I didn't already have a place to go where I could be with relatives, I might not cherish the idea of striking out into the unknown...ALA Rick Grimes & Company.

So what I'm saying is, give the city boy a break...

I think we all have our own ideas of what we consider as our ideal place to ride out tough times. I agree with toexist that not all people in cities are bad people. I've seen black people in ghettos with hardly anything to their name being some of the most generous and caring people out there, willing to share with and comfort others. I've also seen white middle class Christians that will step over a hungry homeless person in disgust. There are good and bad people everywhere. My only issue with being in a city is the rate the resources will be used up. There would just be too many people compete ting for the same limited resources. I like my odds in a more rural setting, but that's just my personal thoughts. As far as getting personal and irritated by others opinions, well opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.... Life is too short to take this stuff too personal. Listen, consider, learn, discard what you don't agree with.

To exit, I believe you should live where and how you feel comfortable with. There are no guaranty that something will ever happen in our life time. Some are comforted with just having a couple weeks of supplies to get us thru whatever, others have that along with some seeds tucked away for the just in case scenerio. . .others take prepping very seriously and have the underground bunkers equipped with hydroponics to grow their own food. Then their are others who just enjoy a self sufficient lifestyle because we don't ever want to rely on anyone else to take care of us. It is a lifestyle decision. . . maybe it is right for some but wrong for others. If you feel a need to stay in a city because you want to stay in the action so to speak, than by all means stay there. I am not about to debate on which would be a more survival situation. . . we both have our own opinions about that one. I choose to grow \ raise my own and make from scratch from a prepping aspect but also for the benefit that I know what is & is not in a food product that me and my family eat. There are no guaranties in life, just doing what you feel is right for you and your family.

To exit, I believe you should live where and how you feel comfortable with. There are no guaranty that something will ever happen in our life time. Some are comforted with just having a couple weeks of supplies to get us thru whatever, others have that along with some seeds tucked away for the just in case scenerio. . .others take prepping very seriously and have the underground bunkers equipped with hydroponics to grow their own food. Then their are others who just enjoy a self sufficient lifestyle because we don't ever want to rely on anyone else to take care of us. It is a lifestyle decision. . . maybe it is right for some but wrong for others. If you feel a need to stay in a city because you want to stay in the action so to speak, than by all means stay there. I am not about to debate on which would be a more survival situation. . . we both have our own opinions about that one. I choose to grow \ raise my own and make from scratch from a prepping aspect but also for the benefit that I know what is & is not in a food product that me and my family eat. There are no guaranties in life, just doing what you feel is right for you and your family.

Well said, thank you.

I stopped reading this thread. I don't know if it is just me but I really think this thread turned stupid. Am I wrong?

Ive never understood comments like this. I mean i dont know but if im not interested in something then i dont take part. Maybe its best u read next time or if not interested...you're not obligated to respond.

I mean it's not like this thread is blocking your driveway.

Latest posts

Back