prepping with pets

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would have to be the last ! Thing on my list to eat they help so much in alarming and confortting your family through any situation

Get food that you can store for a year and rotate them. If you need to bug out, bring only good dogs that are trained, and will listen to you and be an asset/team player and not a burden. Sorry, i love dogs, but between my german shepherd and the yorkie, the shepherd is coming with me and the yorkie will stay behind

When I had my great danes, I loved them, but I must have a real cold spot in my heart because I occasionally thought that if it came down to it, I had a lot of meat walking around in my yard. I honestly think it would be kinder if we did give them a merciful end rather than turning them out on their own if they don't have an instinct to hunt. Most dogs that go wild will form a pack and that can be very dangerous to humans in a very hungry world.

As for cats... I, too, have allergies, which is why I have a rex cat. They are the "poodle" of cats with hair rather than fur. She looks like the bald cat from The Book of Eli with short hair that's been stuck in a crimping iron (that movie cat was actually a Sphynx - a registerable breed of cat). I wouldn't go so far as to extract cat oil from her as Eli did, but I would quickly put her out of our misery. I barely tolerate her now, not because of her hair but because of her attitude. She's only 4 pounds and not in the best of health anyway so I'd just bury her, not eat her.

Does anyone remember the dog food recalls some 6-7 years ago when pets were dying all over from tainted pet food? I lost 3 to that and began an intensive research of animal nutrition. The diet that made the most sense to me was actually called B.A.R.F. - Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. In the wild, if a dog kills and eats a rabbit, it will get at least 60% meat and bone and the other 40% consists of everything from heart, liver, kidneys, vegetation, grain, possibly fruit and herbs from the stomach. I put my dogs on that diet for as long as I could afford it. Every day, they had chicken (meat, bones, heart, gizzard, etc.), spinach, apple, eggs, yogurt, brown rice, garlic and I can't remember what else I put in it without consulting the book.) Within 2 weeks of starting that diet, I saw improved everything from coat texture and brightness of the eyes to their ability to focus in training and their energy was more positive and contained. If I'd had a livestock farm at the time, it probably would have been much less expensive. And that's my point: if you have livestock and a garden, your dog will get all the nutrition it needs without commercial dog food (cats, too). If you don't have a farm, are you prepared to hunt specifically to feed your dog? Or, are you willing to teach your dog to hunt for itself? Big dogs can help bring down game that will feed both you and them.

Since the advent of commercial dog food in the late 20's early 30's, the lifespan of all dogs has shortened. Prior to then, the average lifespan of a dog was 17-25 years. Much of the crap they put in dog food they aren't even able to digest, specifically corn (and GMO corn, I believe, is a primary cause of cancer in pets as well as humans). There was even a point where they were including as ingredients the euthanized bodies of animals from dog pounds and simply calling it "meat." Table scraps are far healthier for your dog than any dry food you can buy.

One more myth down the drain - raw chicken bones are very good for your dog. From the time of the recalls to when I recently gave away my last dane, every one of my dogs had 2 raw chicken leg quarters every day as the most important part of their diet. Any type of bone cooked can splinter and damage your dog internally, but raw bones are very easily digested by a dog's rapid, acidic digestive system.

Keep in mind that if your dog is going to eat a raw diet, it needs 8% of it's body weight daily to maintain health and energy.

It's the cooked chicken bones that are dangerous to dogs. If the SHTF, I suspect our dogs and cats will be eating a lot of frog, snake, and birds....as we have a ton of all of those here. Can't take a step without seeing a frog around my place.

It's the cooked chicken bones that are dangerous to dogs. If the SHTF, I suspect our dogs and cats will be eating a lot of frog, snake, and birds....as we have a ton of all of those here. Can't take a step without seeing a frog around my place.
Most frogs and toads are poisonous to dogs. Be careful with that.

Hmm...will have to check that then. Of course, lots of birds around here too.

Well i hate to be the asshole ! in this discussion but if u do take pets when u bug out and it comes to the life or death point of starving you could always eat the pet !

I would die with the pet. I have a Australian Shepard Mix, trained in S&R tactics. Going to be 3 years old come this September. I trust him more than my wife, so yeah if it comes down to it I'll face death with him.

i got a friendly reminder about changing a pet's diet..and its just important as taking your own diet into consideration..i bought some different doggie treats then what i normally buy.well needless to say she ended up with the runs/diarrhea..bottom line is,,buy what you buy now,for what's needed for a bug out situation..this will not only avoid problems with the pet in question.but you'll also avoid leaving a unwelcome trail as well..

i got a friendly reminder about changing a pet's diet..and its just important as taking your own diet into consideration..i bought some different doggie treats then what i normally buy.well needless to say she ended up with the runs/diarrhea..bottom line is,,buy what you buy now,for what's needed for a bug out situation..this will not only avoid problems with the pet in question.but you'll also avoid leaving a unwelcome trail as well..
You can avoid intestinal difficulties in pets by introducing new foods very gradually. But I want you to think very seriously about this: If you have to bug out and it looks like it's going to be for a very long time, do you really want to lug hundreds of pounds of dry dog food with you too? People food is much healthier for pets than commercial dog foods. Before the advent of commercial dog foods, most of our pets lived on what they could forage for themselves plus our table scraps. The average lifespan of a small breed dog in the 1920's was over 20 years, with even the Great Dane living as long as 18 years. Commercial dog food is killing our pets, folks, just like commercial foods are killing us.
My recommendation is that you start feeding your dog a small amount of your leftovers every evening after you are finished eating. Let them slowly get used to having real nutrition in their stomachs. Then, if you have to bug out, your dog will be able to eat your leftovers without having to worry about where you're going to put those hundreds of pounds of dog food.

i only buy the small bags of dog food seeing how i have a small dog..which means 10 pounds or less at any given time,when it comes to whats on hand..and as you said.human food is better for them.and thats what she mostly gets...

I guess if I had to run I would just release the chickens and rabbits to fend for themselves. My pit would come with, she's not much for protection but makes a great bed warmer at night. I guess she might be able to learn some protectiveness in tough circumstances, but she's family and gets to stay regardless.

You can avoid intestinal difficulties in pets by introducing new foods very gradually. But I want you to think very seriously about this: If you have to bug out and it looks like it's going to be for a very long time, do you really want to lug hundreds of pounds of dry dog food with you too? People food is much healthier for pets than commercial dog foods. Before the advent of commercial dog foods, most of our pets lived on what they could forage for themselves plus our table scraps. The average lifespan of a small breed dog in the 1920's was over 20 years, with even the Great Dane living as long as 18 years. Commercial dog food is killing our pets, folks, just like commercial foods are killing us.
My recommendation is that you start feeding your dog a small amount of your leftovers every evening after you are finished eating. Let them slowly get used to having real nutrition in their stomachs. Then, if you have to bug out, your dog will be able to eat your leftovers without having to worry about where you're going to put those hundreds of pounds of dog food.
Your right about most of the cheap foods being bad for you dog. Next time you go for shots or something ask your vet, or just google it. There's kidney failure and liver disease being caused by some of the main brands. I read something about vitamin k added in the ingredients being particularly bad. I can't afford the 60 dollar a bag stuff, but I read the ingredients and go somewhere in the middle.

You can avoid intestinal difficulties in pets by introducing new foods very gradually.

Key word is gradually. It's why we stock extra, but at the same time, we realize we'd have to wean them off it. I've always used store pet food, and never really seen an issue with it....and my pets live pretty long and healthy. They do get table scraps too though. (and my bird loves chicken, the little cannibal). Of course, the chickens love cooked eggs, so go figure (I mean they LOVE them...will go crazy at them).

Your right about most of the cheap foods being bad for you dog. Next time you go for shots or something ask your vet, or just google it. There's kidney failure and liver disease being caused by some of the main brands. I read something about vitamin k added in the ingredients being particularly bad. I can't afford the 60 dollar a bag stuff, but I read the ingredients and go somewhere in the middle.
Unfortunately, Brent, courses in "nutrition" are electives for veterinarians. I have done tons of research on my own due to the loss of 3 pets because of the recalls 7 years ago. I happen to be good friends with a veterinarian who is continually studying and going to seminars. At a recent nutrition seminar, the discussion was regarding the numbers of American dog foods that actually use ingredients from China. Every pet food recall there has been has been linked to tainted ingredients from China.
The primary problem with commercial dog foods is the amount of corn included in the food. Besides the fact that most commercial corn is now genetically modified, dogs cannot digest corn. Period. The cheapest brands all contain at least 33% corn. The cheaper the food you feed, the more poop you're going to be cleaning up and the less healthy your dog will be. Giving your dog any commercial food sold at a grocery store isn't much different than feeding your children potato chips for dinner every night.
Shortly after that recall when I lost my 3 dogs, I began feeding a raw food that was biologically appropriate for dogs. Within 2 weeks, I saw healthier coats, brighter eyes, more energy and better focus in training. Feeding straight raw can be prohibitively expense - for my danes, it was costing me $50 per week per dog. It's also difficult to transition some dogs to it.
The biggest drawback to commercial foods is protein. If the food you are feeding lists "chicken by-products" as the first "meat" ingredient, your dog is not getting protein from it. By-products can include feet, beaks and feathers. If you can supplement your dog with meat and eggs from your table (or your farm) preferably raw but even cooked is better than nothing, you're dog will be much healthier than a straight dry food diet.

Unfortunately, Brent, courses in "nutrition" are electives for veterinarians. I have done tons of research on my own due to the loss of 3 pets because of the recalls 7 years ago. I happen to be good friends with a veterinarian who is continually studying and going to seminars. At a recent nutrition seminar, the discussion was regarding the numbers of American dog foods that actually use ingredients from China. Every pet food recall there has been has been linked to tainted ingredients from China.
The primary problem with commercial dog foods is the amount of corn included in the food. Besides the fact that most commercial corn is now genetically modified, dogs cannot digest corn. Period. The cheapest brands all contain at least 33% corn. The cheaper the food you feed, the more poop you're going to be cleaning up and the less healthy your dog will be. Giving your dog any commercial food sold at a grocery store isn't much different than feeding your children potato chips for dinner every night.
Shortly after that recall when I lost my 3 dogs, I began feeding a raw food that was biologically appropriate for dogs. Within 2 weeks, I saw healthier coats, brighter eyes, more energy and better focus in training. Feeding straight raw can be prohibitively expense - for my danes, it was costing me $50 per week per dog. It's also difficult to transition some dogs to it.
The biggest drawback to commercial foods is protein. If the food you are feeding lists "chicken by-products" as the first "meat" ingredient, your dog is not getting protein from it. By-products can include feet, beaks and feathers. If you can supplement your dog with meat and eggs from your table (or your farm) preferably raw but even cooked is better than nothing, you're dog will be much healthier than a straight dry food diet.
I saw a clip on tv once that showed Opra Winfrey's dogs. She had a chef prepare their food daily. We're not talking any by products here, this was fresh salmon, lamb, chicken, etc. He mixed it with rice, carrots, peas etc. Damed dogs eat better than I do! If there is such thing as reincarnation, that's what I want to come back as, one of Opras dogs! Lol. I do share what I eat with my dog, but try to be careful not to let her have too much fat. They get hardening of the arteries just like we do.

We also feed ours raw scraps while preparing the meal. No way do we throw meat trimmings out. They go right to the cats and dogs, and when you're doing so for 5 adults, you end up with a lot each night, hehe.

Unfortunately in a SHTF situation pet nutrition as we know it will go out the window in a few weeks, my outdoor dogs love rabbits, squirrels/chipmunks, birds and possums, since we have plantain and yarrow growing everywhere I added it to their food and water

That's kind of my point, Maverick. Pet nutrition won't take a hit if SHTF. If anything, they'll be eating better. If they live through it, that is. People don't know what they will do if they are desperate. I don't eat meat as a general rule, but you'd better believe I will eat a dog or cat if I'm starving, even my own. I don't eat goat or chicken, either. But I will eat mine if I'm starving. Actually, I'd eat the goats first, cat second, chickens third, then the dog.

They will eat better if the owner knows what to do but then again, location will set the tone through disease and as a food source for others I see the pet population declining rapidly in a (severe) post SHTF, I just hope preppers that have animals but can't take them if bugging out (as in not returning) will do the right thing and put a bullet in the head and bury them instead of leaving them to fend for themselves I'm not meaning to sound cold but love, reality and common sense needs to prevail here.

Latest posts

Back