Prepper Ethics

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schattentarn

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
A couple years ago on another forum someone was talking about a three day pack and what should be included. He asked if an additional pack should be folded up and included in the basic pack--a strong sack like thing to use to " scavenge" should the opportunity present itself. Let me amplify and flesh out what he meant. Suppose the world stopped, you are in your bug out location or just live there but you are hearing no news, nothing. You decide to do some recon work, pack a three day pack and head out. After some distance you arrive at a building. It is not being used, perhaps damaged. You enter and find things which you can use in your survival. These may be electronics, ammo, food, whatever. The person originating the question about the additional sack said it would be of use to gather these goods.

Well, immediately someone said this person is not scavenging, he is looting. How does he know someone is not on their way to their bug out location---and this is it. This second person said the first person risks being shot as a looter at this point. Of course, the first guy didn't think of himself as a looter, only someone seizing on an opportunity to survive.

So where are we? I can see myself in both situations with both points of view. What is ethical for preppers in this situation? Give me your reaction and thoughts.

I would have a problem taking someone else's property. I think that is more of my upbringing rather than a prepper thing.

A couple years ago on another forum someone was talking about a three day pack and what should be included. He asked if an additional pack should be folded up and included in the basic pack--a strong sack like thing to use to " scavenge" should the opportunity present itself. Let me amplify and flesh out what he meant. Suppose the world stopped, you are in your bug out location or just live there but you are hearing no news, nothing. You decide to do some recon work, pack a three day pack and head out. After some distance you arrive at a building. It is not being used, perhaps damaged. You enter and find things which you can use in your survival. These may be electronics, ammo, food, whatever. The person originating the question about the additional sack said it would be of use to gather these goods.

Well, immediately someone said this person is not scavenging, he is looting. How does he know someone is not on their way to their bug out location---and this is it. This second person said the first person risks being shot as a looter at this point. Of course, the first guy didn't think of himself as a looter, only someone seizing on an opportunity to survive.

So where are we? I can see myself in both situations with both points of view. What is ethical for preppers in this situation? Give me your reaction and thoughts.

You bring up an interesting observation. I do understand both sides of the coin in this situation. First off if the aforementioned building is truly abandoned and shows no signs of life and the found items are not under lock and key than I would take the items. Should there be someone there than I'll leave it be.

Six weeks into a total collapse, don't touch a thing. One year into a total collapse, I'd say no one is coming and if I don't take it, someone else will. It has to look like no one had been there for a very long time though. This is why you bury your supplies in the woods somewhere nearby. Maybe sealed up in plastic plumbing tube. I don't have such a place, so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

A very interesting question, I too see both sides. My wife and I have discussed this and and our plan is(may be foolish) If I catch thieves on our land, Instead of killing them, I will offer them food and shelter, IF they agree to work for us tending and harvesting crops next season. I know some of you are saying "Fool, Idiot"
but realize that after a shtf situation labor may become very valuable. I would greatly value your opinion.
on this.

so this FEMA 72 Hour figures out that they made a HUGE mistake - decides to correct it by looting - kills the home/biz owner that confronts them >> no longer a looter but a murder - or do you have another name & justification for this new occurrence ...

and for all the justifiers out there >>> they intend to only loot the "vacant or abandoned" - you think the owners will be advertising their occupation? - it's a be a murderer or get murdered situation when you go to loot ....

Last edited:
but realize that after a shtf situation labor may become very valuable. I would greatly value your opinion.
on this.
Sounds a little like the south prior to 1861. No, I'm just kidding. I don't think you can trust people so much in hard times to feed them for six months and expect them to stay around and work for what they have already consumed. It's not like you can do a repossession. If they showed up right at harvest time, and they were good workers, you could probably trust them to build a long term working business relationship. So for me, it is a matter of timing.

Honestly I would prepare for you and your family needs BEFORE a SHTF situation. Get all your ducks in a row to provide for all situations. I wouldnt want no names invading my Bug Out Location either if that is what I would choose for a final destination. At the begining, I would think shoot first ask questions later. If we are talking many months or years after the start, I would think it would be fair game, BUT think it would be enter on your own risk. They may have had to step out to forage or hunt and coming back. Right now I feel like I am prepared, But I never know what the future holds. I may want to take advantage if I am desperate. I just need to realize I may have to pay the consequences. . .

Same. I feel like days or weeks into an event is probably too soon. I think depending on the distance it'd be easy enough to check in periodically- see if there's been any activity, if any items have been used, maintained, or moved. But if you have everything accounted for on the front end- you shouldn't need to worry about acquiring it on the back end.

The time frame is the key component. In a major long term SHTF event, with an expected 80 to 90% die off, there is going to be a huge amount of scavenger items available. After 6 months to 1 year, if the owner has not returned to the property, chances are they are not going to make it back. NOTE: anytime you venture out, you will be taking your chances, so, scavenging is just one more risky venture. If you are out for a RECON, then you should be equipped with the tools to watch and determine if a place has been abandoned. There will be tell tale signs if a place has been vacant a long time or has been visited recently. The whole purpose of a recon, is to learn what is happening in your search area. That means take the time to study the property ground, the dust patterns on the walkway and in the house, cobwebs, etc. People don't like walking through cobwebs, so they will remove them. No cobwebs near the entry points, not abandoned. I would not feel bad or be morally concerned if I scavenged items from a property I know has been abandoned for a considerable amount of time ---- AFTER ---- a long term shtf event. JM2C

The time frame is the key component. In a major long term SHTF event, with an expected 80 to 90% die off, there is going to be a huge amount of scavenger items available. After 6 months to 1 year, if the owner has not returned to the property, chances are they are not going to make it back. NOTE: anytime you venture out, you will be taking your chances, so, scavenging is just one more risky venture. If you are out for a RECON, then you should be equipped with the tools to watch and determine if a place has been abandoned. There will be tell tale signs if a place has been vacant a long time or has been visited recently. The whole purpose of a recon, is to learn what is happening in your search area. That means take the time to study the property ground, the dust patterns on the walkway and in the house, cobwebs, etc. People don't like walking through cobwebs, so they will remove them. No cobwebs near the entry points, not abandoned. I would not feel bad or be morally concerned if I scavenged items from a property I know has been abandoned for a considerable amount of time ---- AFTER ---- a long term shtf event. JM2C

just because no one has been thru the front door in a while - it's open door to loot? >>> I make an arrangement with the bugged out neighbors to manage their properties - that contract doesn't just run dry because of some self determined termination date by a looter - ....

better find a tougher argument than dust and spider webs when you're facing a firing squad ....

just because no one has been thru the front door in a while - it's open door to loot? >>> I make an arrangement with the bugged out neighbors to manage their properties - that contract doesn't just run dry because of some self determined termination date by a looter - ....

better find a tougher argument than dust and spider webs when you're facing a firing squad ....

What make you think you will be around to watch the property. I hope you did notice I said a major shtf event with a 80 to 90% die off. Where are you going to get the bodies for a firing squad? I also mentioned scavenging would be a risky venture. You can pass up on the abandoned supplies, if you survive and if I have survived, I will be glad to cart them home.

What make you think you will be around to watch the property. I hope you did notice I said a major shtf event with a 80 to 90% die off. Where are you going to get the bodies for a firing squad? I also mentioned scavenging would be a risky venture. You can pass up on the abandoned supplies, if you survive and if I have survived, I will be glad to cart them home.

Stop using common sense it frightens the natives :)

Latest posts

Back