Preparedness Questions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA!
you must truly be out of the city located to run such a facility, which is very much one of my requirements for someone if they would want to bug in. Kudos!
however, i can also find a few flaws in your plan here too you may want to concider:
like your water well.
wells tap into underground streams (usually), you may want to research exactly where your water originates. if one was to tap into tap into that same stream miles "up river", or even a few people, you may end up with a depleting, or depleted water source.
also, alot of underground streams come from large bodies of water, of which people like to live near, if there is mass death post-shtf, your water well may become disesed. i suggest a purification filtration for your well. this may also effect your catfish.
Oh Krime, here it comes.

Oh Krime, here it comes.
all good, if hes got it covered then cool, if not, im glad to help.
also one might want to think about how to feed these animals post-shtf, and how to care for them too, like taking some Veternarian courses as well to make sure your animals are in proper health before eating them. many diseases of animals will accumulate not only ones we've heard about, but id imagine new ones will appear as well.

I am lucky enough to live in the country. small farm, I am surroundeed by much larger farms. I agree this could never be done in city.
when we need room, my brother drops off a dozer or excavator and we just push out more trees.
When we need more storage, we dig another crease in the hill and bury another conex from fort bragg surplus
You are absolutly right about the water, In litterally all clay soils you must "hit water veins" I am again lucky enough to live in "sandland"( sandhills of NC.) as long as the water table is good the shallow well will never run out, and every drop is treated with 40 feet of sand filter, lol.Can be pumped out into barrels and chemically treated if need rises.
If it fails I still have 2 deep wells I could acess water from, one that I use for the plant nursery when the ponds start dropping too far, The other well its got so much iron in it I would probably treat water from the pond first LOL.

Depending on exactly what happens I do have have to worry about loosing the catfish, I have in the past had large dieoffs from pumping too much water to nursery, and the temp of water in ponds getting too high, then the algae bloomed, and of course died after using up nutrients in water. the dying algae started rotting displacing oxygen, killed many fish. Thats just 1 of many times I had to learn the devil is in the details, I didnt even think to factor less water would warm faster.

No streams or creeks from closest city 10 miles away Sanford,NC our whole county only has about 60,000 in it, Persons per sqare mile in Lee county, NC is like 227 and that is averaged including the city. I have no worry of biohazard contamination of our water. I do have to worry with Fort bragg being so close, to a fallout contamination issue if that scenerio played out, but then truly all one could do, (IF the government even warned us) would be pop the top on one of grandpaws jars of peach mountain dew, grab a lawn chair, and catch the last show.

I am lucky enough to live in the country. small farm, I am surroundeed by much larger farms. I agree this could never be done in city.
when we need room, my brother drops off a dozer or excavator and we just push out more trees.
When we need more storage, we dig another crease in the hill and bury another conex from fort bragg surplus
You are absolutly right about the water, In litterally all clay soils you must "hit water veins" I am again lucky enough to live in "sandland"( sandhills of NC.) as long as the water table is good the shallow well will never run out, and every drop is treated with 40 feet of sand filter, lol.Can be pumped out into barrels and chemically treated if need rises.
If it fails I still have 2 deep wells I could acess water from, one that I use for the plant nursery when the ponds start dropping too far, The other well its got so much iron in it I would probably treat water from the pond first LOL.

Depending on exactly what happens I do have have to worry about loosing the catfish, I have in the past had large dieoffs from pumping too much water to nursery, and the temp of water in ponds getting too high, then the algae bloomed, and of course died after using up nutrients in water. the dying algae started rotting displacing oxygen, killed many fish. Thats just 1 of many times I had to learn the devil is in the details, I didnt even think to factor less water would warm faster.

No streams or creeks from closest city 10 miles away Sanford,NC our whole county only has about 60,000 in it, Persons per sqare mile in Lee county, NC is like 227 and that is averaged including the city. I have no worry of biohazard contamination of our water. I do have to worry with Fort bragg being so close, to a fallout contamination issue if that scenerio played out, but then truly all one could do, (IF the government even warned us) would be pop the top on one of grandpaws jars of peach mountain dew, grab a lawn chair, and catch the last show.
although, i think you have quite a great grasp on things, i believe you were missing what i was saying. possably my fault so ill explain a bit better:
your wells, the water comes from underground streams, therefore they come from a body of water most likely north of you. as i said before, people will live around that body of water, usually in larger citys as export/import or water was even a factor when establishing state bounries. people will surely die. who will burry them? most likely nobody. its only a matter of time before the water is polluted by the bodies. then that pollution will hit your water supply via underground stream. then you/family/livestock next if you dont have anything to mass purify (because the animals) you are going to have problems. even if its as simple as diarehha or vomiting, these things can cause dehydration, leading you to drink more of the foul water. as you've stated in a different post, even with natural filtration, there is bound to be microbs in the water.
personally, me myself, i would trust no water post-shtf unless properly filtered and probably boiled.

I see water as by far our biggest problem when shtf. Even if you have it as we do, self proclaimed government will take it by drilling bigger wells or by force. We can hide and store enough food, water, and arms to get us through any initial collapse in unprepared human thinning out, then become farmers, etc; but there is no way the water will survive the shtf. Filtration is going to be the key to life for everyone that survives the initial collapse, I feel. At least that's my fear at the moment; that and hiding out long enough to get through it.

One thing I would like to add to our set up out here in the boonies is a windmill for the well. It is shallow enough to draw manually if needed, but drawing water in the winter blows. We built a springhouse over the head of the spring on our property and it not only provides another source of water, but also a way to keep foods cold without electricity. We have worked very hard to be as sustaining as we possibly can be and we are always striving to find ways to make us more so.

Food wise, we are sitting pretty good. Root cellar is full, pantry, cupboards, spare room is all full as well as having meat on the hoof. We've got the canners and jars to go with to can up things if the freezer is no longer viable. We don't have a genny because I don't want to advertise to others that we are doing alright. Most of the work done on our place is done with horses, yes they eat, but you have to buy gas and such for a tractor. Horses are quiet and tractors piss me off.

One thing I would like to add to our set up out here in the boonies is a windmill for the well. It is shallow enough to draw manually if needed, but drawing water in the winter blows. We built a springhouse over the head of the spring on our property and it not only provides another source of water, but also a way to keep foods cold without electricity. We have worked very hard to be as sustaining as we possibly can be and we are always striving to find ways to make us more so.

Food wise, we are sitting pretty good. Root cellar is full, pantry, cupboards, spare room is all full as well as having meat on the hoof. We've got the canners and jars to go with to can up things if the freezer is no longer viable. We don't have a genny because I don't want to advertise to others that we are doing alright. Most of the work done on our place is done with horses, yes they eat, but you have to buy gas and such for a tractor. Horses are quiet and tractors piss me off.

I am very impressed and jealous of your set up, really cool. I see you are from MO. I love it there. I have folks there.

Thank you Colt. This is how I was raised, doing things the way they were done in generations past. I don't like noise that isn't organically originated. Vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, ringing phones, tractors, all of the noises these things make just set my teeth on edge and I turn into Evil Redneck Hillbilly Witch in a heartbeat. Whereabouts in MO have you visited if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you Colt. This is how I was raised, doing things the way they were done in generations past. I don't like noise that isn't organically originated. Vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, ringing phones, tractors, all of the noises these things make just set my teeth on edge and I turn into Evil Redneck Hillbilly Witch in a heartbeat. Whereabouts in MO have you visited if you don't mind me asking?
Marshfield, Springfeild, Mark Twain wilderness, Branson, would like to move to Marshfied in my golden years but that's some time away.

I agree! I need to make a trip to REI for some fact finding, then go order it from the internet, as REI is so damn expensive.

Yes they are very high i will agree to that. And for the question , for 2. Total would prob be ejected anywhere from 1 to 2 months. Now if we get to our BOL - Bug Out Location/ bunker area then we are looking at about over a year at BOL location.:ar15:

Colt, have you checked out Fordland, Seymour, or Ava? I grew up down in there. Heck, for all I know you just might be a cousin somewhere down the line. Love the area down there and the people. I still have a fair amount of family down in there as well.

Colt, have you checked out Fordland, Seymour, or Ava? I grew up down in there. Heck, for all I know you just might be a cousin somewhere down the line. Love the area down there and the people. I still have a fair amount of family down in there as well.
I will have to pull out the maps. I hope to get out there in July. You are right about the people, its a place i would like to raise my son, but unfortunately my job is going to hold me here in CA where i dont even know my neighbors.

If you take A out of Marshfield, that will take you down to 61? and you'll encounter a good sized Amish population as you get closer to the highway. Anyhow, turn right on the highway and you'll go to Fordland, left will take you to Seymour. Just watch out for the horse and buggies on the road

If you take A out of Marshfield, that will take you down to 61? and you'll encounter a good sized Amish population as you get closer to the highway. Anyhow, turn right on the highway and you'll go to Fordland, left will take you to Seymour. Just watch out for the horse and buggies on the road
That's close by, are you in that area ?

I have about a years worth of food right now, after that, I have my livestock and my garden food that I will be using and canning (seeds already for the next garden planting). We have a well that has lines to go out to the differnt pastures and sprinklers for the garden. I have a water canal that boarders our property. I do still need to get a hood water filtration system.

I have about a years worth of food right now, after that, I have my livestock and my garden food that I will be using and canning (seeds already for the next garden planting). We have a well that has lines to go out to the differnt pastures and sprinklers for the garden. I have a water canal that boarders our property. I do still need to get a hood water filtration system.
Nice !!

for my wife and i, i have food and water stored up in a storage in my home property.

i have at least a guaranteed 30 days worth of food and water.
multiple cans of food, vegetables, soups, fruits. ramen noodles. tuna, canned chicken.
i have around 60 gallons of water in different kind of containers, such as many packs of 16.9 oz. water bottles, many single gallon water bottles. 2-6 gallon jugs, 2-7 gallon jugs. all filled with water.

now i have a few filter straws in our bug out bags, and a katadyn water filter in our bug out bag, in case i need to get water from somewhere.
i also have a water bob that fits in the bath tub. that is an aditional 60-80 gallons of water that i can have. this is stored in our shed.

included in my 30 day supply of food are 5 different 5-gallon buckets of food, for 2 people for 3 days. so, if we are bugging in, and i am not home, my wife can have access to get at least 15 days worth of food for 2 people in a few minutes. plus i also have 2-5 gallon water jugs in the house and at least a 32 pk of water always in the fridge or in the pantry.

btw, cant forget toilet paper. we have about 6 months of toilet paper.

for my wife and i, i have food and water stored up in a storage in my home property.

i have at least a guaranteed 30 days worth of food and water.
multiple cans of food, vegetables, soups, fruits. ramen noodles. tuna, canned chicken.
i have around 60 gallons of water in different kind of containers, such as many packs of 16.9 oz. water bottles, many single gallon water bottles. 2-6 gallon jugs, 2-7 gallon jugs. all filled with water.

now i have a few filter straws in our bug out bags, and a katadyn water filter in our bug out bag, in case i need to get water from somewhere.
i also have a water bob that fits in the bath tub. that is an aditional 60-80 gallons of water that i can have. this is stored in our shed.

included in my 30 day supply of food are 5 different 5-gallon buckets of food, for 2 people for 3 days. so, if we are bugging in, and i am not home, my wife can have access to get at least 15 days worth of food for 2 people in a few minutes. plus i also have 2-5 gallon water jugs in the house and at least a 32 pk of water always in the fridge or in the pantry.

btw, cant forget toilet paper. we have about 6 months of toilet paper.
Nice, I am going with a 30 day supple also, how do you like your filter straw ? I have the life straw it's great for my get home bag [GHB].
Have you seen a five gallon water filter set up ?

Colt, I have no idea on how to quote a post, but I'll answer your question. No, I don't live down in there anymore, I'm north of the Missouri River now.

Latest posts

Back