Preparedness Questions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the info. I put it on my list next time we drive near Wal-Mart. This seems to make much more sence than buying bleach. It helps to know how much pool shock to use. Thanks for your help. ~Lindy

You don't use bleach in your laundry? I like to use it for all whites, socks and underwear. I would still want it for doing laundry if the SHTF.

I know what "Shock" is but never considered it to "clean" water of bacteria, fungi and parasites for drinking.

You don't use bleach in your laundry? I like to use it for all whites, socks and underwear. I would still want it for doing laundry if the SHTF.

I know what "Shock" is but never considered it to "clean" water of bacteria, fungi and parasites for drinking.

Hi Ms. RV-Kitty, I use bleach on some laundry. I never realized there is an expiration date on bleach. It sounds like Pool Shock doesn't have a date while storing it. I also thought bleach took out bacteria fungi and parasites but I was assuming (a dangerous thing assuming) . I will have to look into this Pool Shock further. Bless your day. ~Lindy

I have made bleach for home use. I have not used it to purify water. When getting pool shock look at the ingredients to make sure there is no fillers or antifungals. Get pool shock that is calcium hypochlorite. There is a lot of info on it just search the web.
Thanks for the info! I will certainly search for it!

Thank you sir. I will put it on my list next time we go to Wal-Mart.
Hey Lindy-
Looks like you are fairly new at the prepping thing....If you are interested, I developed a simple plan that I call the Food Storage Map. As a health care provider I wanted to come up with shelf-stable, nutritious, foods that are cheap to stock up on. It was originally designed for a one month purchase plan that would cost you approx $60/month. We also compiled a list of medical supplies to put into your must-have list. If interested, I will be more than happy to email it to ya...no cost. We believe the more prepared folks are, the safer we all are!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Hey Lindy-
Looks like you are fairly new at the prepping thing....If you are interested, I developed a simple plan that I call the Food Storage Map. As a health care provider I wanted to come up with shelf-stable, nutritious, foods that are cheap to stock up on. It was originally designed for a one month purchase plan that would cost you approx $60/month. We also compiled a list of medical supplies to put into your must-have list. If interested, I will be more than happy to email it to ya...no cost. We believe the more prepared folks are, the safer we all are!

Blessings,
Shenandoah
Shanandoah,
Perhaps you can start another thread with your info and provide your list. It sounds helpful not only to the newbies, but even some of us oldbies as well!! I know Im interested in seeing it.

Hello all, if you're going to use pool chems as a chlorine source, some advice:

For "pool shock" make sure the chemical in it is calcium hypochlorite, or "calhypo." There are non-chlorine shocks out there for pools, such as monopotassium persulfate.

Other dry chlorine tabs used for pool servicing are called "trichlor" and "dichlor" marketed under different brand names. Trichlor has more chlorine content than dichlor. Calhypo has more chlorine than both of those, as it's usually used to shock out organic contaminants.

DO NOT store calhypo with trichlor, dichlor, or any acids. They are incompatible chemicals and can cause explosions.​

Mike,
That is an excellent start. How much are you planning for? Do you garden? What is your water storage amounts or can you obtain water on your own??
Water is one of the most important preps you can get.

Hey there Trapper, at the moment its a month ,but as time and finances allow it will be for six months,I have a fair size garden which will be planted out with veg and fruit this spring ,weather permitting. as for water I haven't made any provision yet, I am only a few hundred yards from a major river so water shouldn't be too much of a problem .

Do yourself a favor. Check up river to see if there are any sources of pollution such as farm or industrial waste. Even walk up the river a half mile every so often is advisable. You may find a dead animal carcass rotting in the water only a few hundred meters up stream where you get your water from. Seen that happen a few times. I always filter, never know was is lurking out there.

I have already built a raised bed system which will have lots of salad stuff, onions, carrots, etc, also plan on having beans growing up poles in containers the options are limitless

The devil is in the details.
Every possibility has to be accounted for or you are prepping for failure.
Of this I am 100% sure, Every plan will work untill it fails, where it fails will be where there was no plan.
well then just like your preps remember two is one and one is none have redundancy in your plans to.

What about electro magnetic pulses taking out the power and frying the electrical gadgets all over?

As of today I have enough food to last me and my family about a month, this consists of canned goods and rice and pasta.

I assume you have a way to cook the rice and pasta. I plan to use a propane grill until the propane is gone and a charcoal grill until that is gone. Then it's making my own hot coals for cooking. I hope the day never comes because trying to cook decent meals will probably be a real PIA.

Latest posts

Back