Must Read pick 4 items only

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 8213

Do you have recommendations for a weather resistant lighter? I bought this hunk of shyt Windmill Delta Stormproof Lighter and found it to be an overpriced POS. I have yet to find a good example. Do you know of any?

I've seen way too many failures people using lighters, I keep not just bic lighters but iron and flint, magnesium, fire steel part of my kit. Altitude/cold/moisture affects lighters.

upload_2017-11-26_17-7-42.jpeg
what about this?? I know you have to have some extra fuel and flints,but still.

I've seen way too many failures people using lighters, I keep not just bic lighters but iron and flint, magnesium, fire steel part of my kit. Altitude/cold/moisture affects lighters.

Yea this appears to be the case. I just figured by now someone would have come up with something..."extraordinary" by now.

I prefer to pack as light as possible.

I think the old rule of prepping applies. One is none, two is one, etc. having a few different options is always good, but having knowledge of many options is even better. A battery and steel wool works pretty well, brake fluid and powdered chlorine works, etc. It’s a good idea to always keep learning about new ways to do things.

Yea this appears to be the case. I just figured by now someone would have come up with something..."extraordinary" by now.

I prefer to pack as light as possible.

This is my fire kit

Epiphany Pocket Bellow
UCO Stormproof match kit
Gerber StrikeForce w/5 refill fuel cubes
Bic lighter x2
Magnesium fire starter
FireSteel
Fatwood 4" x4
Dry moss
Jute

fire.JPG

Some old world mixed with modern
fire2.jpg

View attachment 8213

Do you have recommendations for a weather resistant lighter? I bought this hunk of shyt Windmill Delta Stormproof Lighter and found it to be an overpriced POS. I have yet to find a good example. Do you know of any?

Zippo. Pick one of them. Damn near bomb proof as long as you have flints and fluid...l

Note, this is SPECIFIC to the desert island scenario....where I'm looking to be rescued.

Flare Gun
Knife
Tarp
Pot

So let's see how these cover the basics.

SIGNALLING HELP - This is the PRIMARY concern in this scenario. If a plane flies over, or a boat sighted in the far distance, you need to be able to signal them. The flare gun is really the only choice for this basic need. One may argue they could build a huge signal fire, but the time needed for this is crazy (as is the danger). With the flare gun, you can just fire it when needed (and is universally seen as a signal for distress). While a mirror is handy (and for fire), your chances of it signalling a far off ship or plane is pretty minimal at best. - You can bet your ### I'd cut a piece of tarp (using the knife), and fashion a waterproof pouch for that flare gun!!!

WATER - The Pot will allow me to boil water (so no need for the purifier). I can also have the tarp pinched in areas to catch rainwater in the pot. Even saltwater could be converted using a piece of tarp and the pot, if you're clever enough (and patient enough).

FIRE - There are plenty of ways to make fire, but if all else failed, I do have the flares in the flare gun. I could even disassemble a cartridge for more uses, etc.

SHELTER - The tarp will keep the rain off, and make my natural made shelter waterproof. The knife will help me get the natural materials needed for the shelter. Creative cuts in wood and using vines negates the need for rope

FOOD - Almost any island has a TON of food sources available, but even if barren, there is always the sea itself. The Knife will help in this regard, but also depends on the type of island. Most South Pacific islands, the thorns of palms work great to make a fishing spear, when set in a small piece of bamboo. This alone should give you plenty of food. The Pot gives you a way to cook a variety of food sources that wouldn't all fit on a hot rock or direct coals, etc.

DEFENSE - The Knife helps you make a spear, or it can even be tied in a stout piece of bamboo to make an even more effective spear. (or just used as a knife).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back