Must Read pick 4 items only

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same ones I picked before reading your post. The tarp is protection from the elements, knife is for fire wood, hunting, and just good all around tool. The pot is for water purification and cooking, and the mirror is for signaling for help. It was a toss up between the flare gun and the mirror, but what if the flare got wet?

My way of thinking is I believe most people would panic in such a situation. Panic is what gets people in trouble in most high pressure situations. For peace of mind the water purifier would be a big one for me.

Obviously the knife/cutting device would be essential as a multi purpose tool.

My primary focus would be getting home. I would imagine that the only way one would find themselves stranded on an island would in case of a plane crash or sinking of boat of some kind. These vehicles have built in tracking devices which should lead to a search & rescue of some kind.

A flare gun could save your life if a plane or rescue vessel would approach near your location. The average speed of small plane is around 125-140 mph. I don't know if id wanna chance it with a mirror.

As for a fishing pole...hit or miss based on what maverick says but I'd probably still take my chances.

I chose mirror just for that fact you can use it to signal or start a fire. You run out of matches eventually. Tarp for rain collecting, back pack, shelter, and pot and knife is obvious reasons.

How do you start a fire with a mirror? am I missing something or are you thinking of a Magnifier instead.

I was just thinking about the movie castaway and what Tom Hanks wouldn't have given for those hiking boots. His feet were a bloody mess from walking on the Shell (coral). He finally figured out fire.

The other day at Harbor Freight I bought one of the matchless Firestarters. Do those things work? I'm thinking about adding one to my son in laws Christmas stocking. I guessing should open mine. :)

I was just thinking about the movie castaway and what Tom Hanks wouldn't have given for those hiking boots. His feet were a bloody mess from walking on the Shell (coral). He finally figured out fire.

The other day at Harbor Freight I bought one of the matchless Firestarters. Do those things work? I'm thinking about adding one to my son in laws Christmas stocking. I guessing should open mine. :)

Water-resistent-matches-1-680x511 (1).jpg

Water resistant storm proof matches would be another great option for stocking. I have bought a ton of these and they work well in all conditions.

I’ve been using the UCO matches for a few years now, last year Amazon had the UCO matches with green and the orange water proof container on sale for $3.00ea picked up 12 of em plus the had the refill packs 25 matches per pack for $1.99

Yea I get em from Amazon as well. One of the greatest values on the internet.

While the strikers are good I always keep 3m 800/1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper in my kit, last longer in wet environments.

783683.jpeg

Do you have recommendations for a weather resistant lighter? I bought this hunk of shyt Windmill Delta Stormproof Lighter and found it to be an overpriced POS. I have yet to find a good example. Do you know of any?

Being able to start a fire is really important. Glad several options were posted here. Doing it in a damp environment is even more challenging, but is even more needed. My advice to everyone is actually try some of these ideas. You never know when you might be in a situation that it could at least make you a lot more comfortable and at worse save your life. Just curious, how many here have actually made one with rubbing sticks together? I’d be surprised if more than three people have.

Being able to start a fire is really important. Glad several options were posted here. Doing it in a damp environment is even more challenging, but is even more needed. My advice to everyone is actually try some of these ideas. You never know when you might be in a situation that it could at least make you a lot more comfortable and at worse save your life. Just curious, how many here have actually made one with rubbing sticks together? I’d be surprised if more than three people have.

I have done so a handful of times but it takes me way too long. I get annoyed and just cheat...because I can.

I have done so a handful of times but it takes me way too long. I get annoyed and just cheat...because I can.
Personally I think doing it the easiest and smartest way isn’t cheating! Seriously, actually practicing some of the obscure things we learn about here is a wise thing, and kind of fun and interesting too.

Latest posts

Back