Not so wild game

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Was at the boat launch during lunch and made some interesting observations about wild life, especially birds. Seen mallards and morning doves here and in good numbers. Of course my thinking is, humm,lunch! Or maybe dinner. What would be on your plate?

We drove down to our cabin today and a huge rabbit ran right in front of our car as we slowly creeped into the property on the narrow access lane. We've only seen one other rabbit down there in 4 years. Then, coming back off the property, 1/4 mile down our county road, a huge 2-point buck ran across the gravel road right in front of the car. Lucky for him (and our car) we have to move slowly on that gravel road at that particular spot. Didn't see any animal life on the place itself, other than the exotics meandering along the fence line that are our "neighbors". Guess rutting season is over, as all the grunting we heard over there the last 2 trips down wasn't heard today. Lots of dove flying as we drove through the access lane, too.

Deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and occasionally hog, woodcock, snipe, and goose. If we get desperate, possum, armadillo, snake, beaver, muskrat, nutria, coots (we'd really need to be desperate, LOL), and voles.

Of the above, I've cooked deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and woodcock, and eaten armadillo.

Deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and occasionally hog, woodcock, snipe, and goose. If we get desperate, possum, armadillo, snake, beaver, muskrat, nutria, coots (we'd really need to be desperate, LOL), and voles.

Of the above, I've cooked deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and woodcock, and eaten armadillo.

I'd put nutria up a notch. There really good meat.

Do you mean what wildlife you can see this morning would you eat? If that’s the case, seagulls. Not sure how I’d catch one mind. I’m guessing you’d dress them like pigeon and just eat the breast.

If it's total SHTF than the game warden is the least of your worries.
Game Warden wouldn’t even be on my radar, surprised what game you could take in SHTF with a suppressed 22 rifle or pistol. That being said it would be after the majority of my prep’s were gone.

plenty of white tail up at my place more rabbits and squirrels it seems as well. But what I have an massive oversupply of is wild hogs. My two ponds, walnut and pecans trees draw them like iron to a magnet. I will never be short of ham on the hoof.
When I fence off a garden area, I will have to dig an 18" deep trench to bury the bottom of the hog wire and maybe put some electric wire, and motion detectors with alarms inside the trailer and do some night hunting when these raiders try for the carrots :)

Last edited:
I too have lots of wild game in the area here. The only issue is if everyone starts hunting and fishing the populations would be wiped out really quickly. There is a 5 acre pond nearby that had some of the best bluegill, brim and bass fishing I’ve ever seen. Some boys went out almost every day for weeks, filling stringers every trip. Now you hardly ever get a bite. Without responsible management people tend to be greedy and strip resources quickly, and there’s just too many people now.

Latest posts

Back