Not so wild game

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Was at the boat launch during lunch and made some interesting observations about wild life, especially birds. Seen mallards and morning doves here and in good numbers. Of course my thinking is, humm,lunch! Or maybe dinner. What would be on your plate?

If hungry then any protein source you can get onto a stick to cook, from rodent to deer. I eat really well currently so don’t hunt but I’m told that when your really hungry it all tastes good.

We drove down to our cabin today and a huge rabbit ran right in front of our car as we slowly creeped into the property on the narrow access lane. We've only seen one other rabbit down there in 4 years. Then, coming back off the property, 1/4 mile down our county road, a huge 2-point buck ran across the gravel road right in front of the car. Lucky for him (and our car) we have to move slowly on that gravel road at that particular spot. Didn't see any animal life on the place itself, other than the exotics meandering along the fence line that are our "neighbors". Guess rutting season is over, as all the grunting we heard over there the last 2 trips down wasn't heard today. Lots of dove flying as we drove through the access lane, too.

Deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and occasionally hog, woodcock, snipe, and goose. If we get desperate, possum, armadillo, snake, beaver, muskrat, nutria, coots (we'd really need to be desperate, LOL), and voles.

Of the above, I've cooked deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and woodcock, and eaten armadillo.

Deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and occasionally hog, woodcock, snipe, and goose. If we get desperate, possum, armadillo, snake, beaver, muskrat, nutria, coots (we'd really need to be desperate, LOL), and voles.

Of the above, I've cooked deer, dove, duck, rabbit, squirrel, quail, turkey, raccoon, and woodcock, and eaten armadillo.

I'd put nutria up a notch. There really good meat.

Do you mean what wildlife you can see this morning would you eat? If that’s the case, seagulls. Not sure how I’d catch one mind. I’m guessing you’d dress them like pigeon and just eat the breast.

plenty of white tail up at my place more rabbits and squirrels it seems as well. But what I have an massive oversupply of is wild hogs. My two ponds, walnut and pecans trees draw them like iron to a magnet. I will never be short of ham on the hoof.
When I fence off a garden area, I will have to dig an 18" deep trench to bury the bottom of the hog wire and maybe put some electric wire, and motion detectors with alarms inside the trailer and do some night hunting when these raiders try for the carrots :)

Last edited:
I too have lots of wild game in the area here. The only issue is if everyone starts hunting and fishing the populations would be wiped out really quickly. There is a 5 acre pond nearby that had some of the best bluegill, brim and bass fishing I’ve ever seen. Some boys went out almost every day for weeks, filling stringers every trip. Now you hardly ever get a bite. Without responsible management people tend to be greedy and strip resources quickly, and there’s just too many people now.

I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat raccoon meat. Have had it twice in my life and it tastes like pure pine ole smells to me. Nope, no PineSol coon for me, thank you.

Um, did you remove all the glands and fat lol. The best way to prepare the meat is parboil until tinder

Here's what I do
Trimmed the fat from the coon and removed the scent glands from the arms and legs, parboil the meat and season the meat. peel and slice sweet potatoes and place on the botton of a roasting pan or duch oven place meat on top of sweet potatoes cover and cook at 350deg for an hour or hour and a half, I almost always use a dutch oven, coon meat is oily so be warned.

Last edited:
I'm quite fond of Cabrito (goat meat). My dogs will likely become satisfied with zombie meat. I won't, that's a step too far. But my animals are welcome to all they want.

Um, did you remove all the glands and fat lol. The best way to prepare the meat is parboil until tinder

Here's what I do
Trimmed the fat from the coon and removed the scent glands from the arms and legs, parboil the meat and season the meat. peel and slice sweet potatoes and place on the botton of a roasting pan or duch oven place meat on top of sweet potatoes cover and cook at 350deg for an hour or hour and a half, I almost always use a dutch oven, coon meat is oily so be warned.

Just can't answer that question. I consumed it (both stewed and chicken fried & then smothered in gravy) as a child at my grandmother's house. Since my Dad and Uncle did the shooting of them, I assume they knew to do this, but don't know for certain, as they are both deceased now. If they did remove those elements.............it still tasted like pine oil to me. But I've been accused of being a "supertaster" before, so maybe it bothers my sensitive palate more than other people's.

Last edited:
I'm quite fond of Cabrito (goat meat). My dogs will likely become satisfied with zombie meat. I won't, that's a step too far. But my animals are welcome to all they want.
We used to order THE BEST cabrito at Pappacitos on the Gulf Freeway in S.E. Houston when we lived on the coast. They marinated and grilled it to perfection. The rib, neck and back meat were my favorite pieces (I found the leg/thigh a bit gamey/lamb tasting and left that for my husband). I haven't been able to eat U.S. lamb since, as a child, my family lived in Iran (long story). The rib and neck meat on a goat is both tender and the most mild-tasting. None of the other Houston Pappacitos served the cabrito, nor was it on the menu in the Dallas or Austin Pappacitos. :(

Latest posts

Back